• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Panel Discussion: Cessna 180 Upgrades on Poor Webjanitor Budget

Pretty busy display for that small, I keep the alt and speed tapes turned off on my Aspen for that reason and it’s about the same width just taller.

I have them turned off ( pitot / static not hooked up ) on my Garmin G5 for the same reason--
to un-busy the display.

A trick that a lot of homebuilders do is to cut a clear plexiglass panel and temporarily install it. That lets you see any obstructions behind the panel while you're playing around with instrument and avionics placement. Then, once you have everything laid out, you transfer it to your "real" panel. Works pretty well, and not overly expensive.

Edited to add: You can use "el cheapo" plexiglass from one of the big box stores - doesn't have to be the good stuff...

Last edited:
182 Panel.JPG
A trick that a lot of homebuilders do is to cut a clear plexiglass panel and temporarily install it. That lets you see any obstructions behind the panel while you're playing around with instrument and avionics placement. Then, once you have everything laid out, you transfer it to your "real" panel. Works pretty well, and not overly expensive.

This is what we did on the 182 build. Really helped getting everything in position without cutting metal.

Attachments

• 182 Panel.JPG
    182 Panel.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 306
I don't know how SJ's new dash is going but I've been mulling over mine.

For Cessna 180J

Does anyone have an electronic thing (I was going to say CAD drawing but I know so little of such I'll keep to calling it a "thing") that I can get a floating panel for a C180 cut locally?
I'm happy to buy the blanks also and can get the holes cut locally.
For both the left and right floating panel.
Obviously happy pay for the electronic thing.

Similar topic, does anyone know where to get an old Wakmann 7 day winding clock referbished?

SJ, I didn't even notice the yellow thing over to the right on your dash. I take it that it's not a GPS but maybe location tracker?

Cheers,
Texmex.

I don't know how SJ's new dash is going but I've been mulling over mine.

For Cessna 180J

Does anyone have an electronic thing (I was going to say CAD drawing but I know so little of such I'll keep to calling it a "thing") that I can get a floating panel for a C180 cut locally?
I'm happy to buy the blanks also and can get the holes cut locally.
For both the left and right floating panel.
Obviously happy pay for the electronic thing.

Similar topic, does anyone know where to get an old Wakmann 7 day winding clock referbished?

SJ, I didn't even notice the yellow thing over to the right on your dash. I take it that it's not a GPS but maybe location tracker?

Cheers,
Texmex.

Tex, that is a Delorme InReach tracker. I've had the eight day clocks rebuilt by local watch/clock shops - but some will refuse to do it because it goes in an airplane thinking it is a safety item....

I've been distracted with other things and not thinking about my panel..

sj

97B05FD9-9C8E-415C-9ECF-EE04540071CD.jpg
Work in progress, but getting there.

Attachments

• 97B05FD9-9C8E-415C-9ECF-EE04540071CD.jpg
    97B05FD9-9C8E-415C-9ECF-EE04540071CD.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 407
NICE! Is that a GTN650? And it fits flush there and you can still pull the yoke back?

sj

Yes it is. Plenty of clearance. No issues at all. Lots of reasonable 650s are starting to pop up for sale now that the 650xi is out. BeachTalk is a good place to monitor.

Before you dump too much cash into that plane, take a look at the Dynon Skyview PFD. 7 inch and 10 inch. With the 10 inch, you can add engine instrumentation, maybe with the 7 as well. I think they now have STC with a huge AML. I don't know if it'll drive your autopilot, but should be easy to find out.

https://www.dynoncertified.com/

Cut one hole, cover a LOT of "stuff".

Not cheap, but neither is any of this.

MTV

Your panel looks very nice. Enjoy it. And like all of us with glass? Understand that in 6 months something newer and cooler will come out and your stuff will be dated. But it'll still work as well as the day you installed it.

Grant is spot on with the flush G5 bracket. They look very nice recessed.
A few of us on here can cut templates before cutting the new panel.

IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7759.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_7428.JPG
    IMG_7428.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 184
Wow, I saw this waaaay too late to answer.

my '56 Green Hornet got a new panel sort of - but it I didn't start with quite the level of capability that SJ has. My plane was vfr with a really old vfr apollo gps, with only a single point egt/cht. I installed an EI CGR30P and replaced 9 holes for 1 and cleaned up a bunch of stuff (and deleted the clock). I had a friend cut the panel for me - turned out great. It was about 40 hours of work to install the CGR30P.

Low and behold, I sold that '56 180 a few years ago and immediately regretted it. I just got another '55 180 with a dual king nav/comm but no gps. It has a shadin fuel totalizer, but again only the factree single point cht/egt so I can't stop thinking about upgrading. This time around, I'm probably going to go whole hog Garmin G3X. But I'm going to take just a little more time before writing that check.

Calling soyAnarchisto: Yo Soy, I believe you went through this dance on your ~55 Green Hornet, and it turned out darned nice. Ideas for SJ?

Thanks. cubscout

Hey folks! Reviving this thread. Panel looks about the same as it did four years ago when I posted this. I have a little money to spend and am thinking through options.

1. Are dual G5's still the way to go or is there a better option?
2. Is the CGR-30 still the cats meow?
3. Anybody put a G3X touch in a 55' 180? - Ok, I said a LITTLE money....

sj

Steve,

Take a look at uAvionix. Their AV-30 are quite a bit cheaper than G-5. That said, I have no idea how they work for IFR cert. An interesting thing they have is the new duplex Tailbeacon. It contains not only a 1090 ES ADS-B out transmitter, with gps, but also it incorporates a transponder as well. AND, it offers duplex ADS-B, so should be legal in Canada, when ADS-B becomes required there.

I own and have owned a couple other EDM 900s, and I really like them. They take up a little more panel space, but they also present ALL required instrument readings on one page, unlike the CGR. Mostly, I just like the display better.

If you’re going there, with either engine instrument, both companies generally offer significant discounts during Oshkosh, and you don’t have to buy at the show.

MTV

I think there was enough room to put G5’s. You need the cgr if you want to have a 4 or 530 size radio in the panel. You couldn’t pay me to take the cgr out of my cub.

Attachments

• 1232D15D-F9CE-4BAC-A902-76C3A0A445BC.jpeg
    1232D15D-F9CE-4BAC-A902-76C3A0A445BC.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 64
When I checked out the AV-30 it had no rate of turn indicator. I asked support why, and if they intended to add one, and they did not see any reason it was necessary.

In contrast the G5 not only has a clear turn rate indicator it also puts ticks on the roll scale to show bank angle for standard rate at current airspeed.

The only advantage I see for the AV-30 is that it will fit some places that a G5 won't. Doubly true if you want a stacked pair.

When I checked out the AV-30 it had no rate of turn indicator. I asked support why, and if they intended to add one, and they did not see any reason it was necessary.

In contrast the G5 not only has a clear turn rate indicator it also puts ticks on the roll scale to show bank angle for standard rate at current airspeed.

The only advantage I see for the AV-30 is that it will fit some places that a G5 won't. Doubly true if you want a stacked pair.

Ummm, and $400 to $600 cheaper…..

MTV

I think there was enough room to put G5’s. You need the cgr if you want to have a 4 or 530 size radio in the panel. You couldn’t pay me to take the cgr out of my cub.

I’ll have to check, but I think I still have that panel saved in cad. Have a friend who cuts them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back