Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trim Misery

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Shout out to Steve Pierce. I flew out to get some advice and he installed that second pulley while I hung around getting in the way. Still a little slipping but the trim works so much better even at cruise. Sadly he found the trim cable frayed and binding so Monday I’m installing a new cable with lower jack screw pulley and trim handle pulley. On the road to having a working trim system. THANKS STEVE!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Big Shout out to Steve Pierce. I flew out to get some advice and he installed that second pulley while I hung around getting in the way. Still a little slipping but the trim works so much better even at cruise. Sadly he found the trim cable frayed and binding so Monday I’m installing a new cable with lower jack screw pulley and trim handle pulley. On the road to having a working trim system. THANKS STEVE!
    Did the replacement cable cure the slipping completely? Hopefully it did!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The fix was a pain in the ass but got it. I had Steve install a second tension pulley which helped a bit but at cruise it still slipped. Bought new trim cable, jackscrew pulley and trim pulley. Had to cut the fabric outside behind the pilots seat to expose the split fair leads we also cut the fabric inside to the left of the passenger seat. The dumb **** that installed the extended baggage used pop rivets and assembled the sheet metal inside the plane with no way to remove other than drilling out all the pop rivets, thanks man. We fed the one piece trim cable through the fuselage to the new jackscrew pulley and the cable seemed short it’s that the old cable was stretched. Working blind through the lower inspection cover after many attempts we got the pulley on the shaft. Be careful the trim cable makes a twist inside the aft fuselage where you are working up to your armpit blind. If you get the twist turned the wrong direction the trim will work in reverse, ask me how I know this. The trim works like it should now, not a bit of slipping just some cussing. In summary, all new pulleys and new trim cable. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman, Philly5G liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    .. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.

you did 99.56% of the work, $$$ and effort .... why didn't you just put the -18 stuff in... you can make & do a simple clamp in install...

Post Thanks / Like
    The fix was a pain in the ass but got it. I had Steve install a second tension pulley which helped a bit but at cruise it still slipped. Bought new trim cable, jackscrew pulley and trim pulley. Had to cut the fabric outside behind the pilots seat to expose the split fair leads we also cut the fabric inside to the left of the passenger seat. The dumb **** that installed the extended baggage used pop rivets and assembled the sheet metal inside the plane with no way to remove other than drilling out all the pop rivets, thanks man. We fed the one piece trim cable through the fuselage to the new jackscrew pulley and the cable seemed short it’s that the old cable was stretched. Working blind through the lower inspection cover after many attempts we got the pulley on the shaft. Be careful the trim cable makes a twist inside the aft fuselage where you are working up to your armpit blind. If you get the twist turned the wrong direction the trim will work in reverse, ask me how I know this. The trim works like it should now, not a bit of slipping just some cussing. In summary, all new pulleys and new trim cable. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.
    Well done, sounds like a lot of work and well worth it to get a result!!!!! Also sounds like (some) cussing is a global Cub Phenomenon

Cheers

Philly