• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim Misery

I have the front one that slides in the yolk. Is the one on the trailing tube the same

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have the front one that slides in the yolk. Is the one on the trailing tube the same

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It is a smaller diameter but nickel plated and centerless ground. Found airplanes with 4130 tubing installed there and it was rusted and had egg shaped the rear carry-thru fitting.

You guys are talking about something that I have no knowledge of, my question is how much of this trim information applies to what I have in a PA 11

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Speaking of this, what is the diameter and thickness of this tube.

From here: http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/main.aspx See older P/N's in DWG. 80132 for P/N front tube 80132-11 and rear tube 80132-10. As noted the current plated tubes are corrosion resistant, and I assume the earlier were plain polished 4130. Current Univair P/N front U86062-80 and rear U86062-79.

I had them replaced in my former PA-18A and PA-11 and it helped trim force. We first ran an abrasive flapper wheel through the rear fuselage and trim female tubing to clean.

Gary

You guys are talking about something that I have no knowledge of, my question is how much of this trim information applies to what I have in a PA 11

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

The single groove trim system is what is installed in your PA11, it got changed on the Super Cub early on to a double groove trim system where the trim cable wraps around two grooves in the trim pulley doubling the surface area and eliminating the issues of slipping trim cable.

Often overlooked is where the top of the jackscrew resides in the bushing. It is most times only lubed when the jackscrew is replaced or at recover. I have a removable cap over the jackscrew that works well. But that was because the hole was already there from replacing the jackscrew. Otherwise a hole the size of an aerosol straw works to spray acf 50 or lube of choice. Pk screw or rubber plug to seal the hole. Sometimes it can really smooth up a stiff trim system.

Mark

I guess if I had a Piper with a stiff trim I'd run the trim yoke full up/nose down and remove the two stabilizer to yoke bolts. Then raise and lower the stabilizer and check for ease of movement in its range followed by cranking the trim assembly up and down w/o the stabilizer attached to check for any change in stiffness. Separate the components to find where the problem may be then fix. When I had the stabilizer cross tubes sticking the rear was worse and frozen like Mike notes above and squeaked and jumped in the frame when raised and lowered. Took disassembly of the parts to make it work right due to corrosion.

Gary

Big Shout out to Steve Pierce. I flew out to get some advice and he installed that second pulley while I hung around getting in the way. Still a little slipping but the trim works so much better even at cruise. Sadly he found the trim cable frayed and binding so Monday I’m installing a new cable with lower jack screw pulley and trim handle pulley. On the road to having a working trim system. THANKS STEVE!

Big Shout out to Steve Pierce. I flew out to get some advice and he installed that second pulley while I hung around getting in the way. Still a little slipping but the trim works so much better even at cruise. Sadly he found the trim cable frayed and binding so Monday I’m installing a new cable with lower jack screw pulley and trim handle pulley. On the road to having a working trim system. THANKS STEVE!

Did the replacement cable cure the slipping completely? Hopefully it did!!

The fix was a pain in the ass but got it. I had Steve install a second tension pulley which helped a bit but at cruise it still slipped. Bought new trim cable, jackscrew pulley and trim pulley. Had to cut the fabric outside behind the pilots seat to expose the split fair leads we also cut the fabric inside to the left of the passenger seat. The dumb **** that installed the extended baggage used pop rivets and assembled the sheet metal inside the plane with no way to remove other than drilling out all the pop rivets, thanks man. We fed the one piece trim cable through the fuselage to the new jackscrew pulley and the cable seemed short it’s that the old cable was stretched. Working blind through the lower inspection cover after many attempts we got the pulley on the shaft. Be careful the trim cable makes a twist inside the aft fuselage where you are working up to your armpit blind. If you get the twist turned the wrong direction the trim will work in reverse, ask me how I know this. The trim works like it should now, not a bit of slipping just some cussing. In summary, all new pulleys and new trim cable. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.

.. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.

you did 99.56% of the work, $$$ and effort .... why didn't you just put the -18 stuff in... you can make & do a simple clamp in install...

The fix was a pain in the ass but got it. I had Steve install a second tension pulley which helped a bit but at cruise it still slipped. Bought new trim cable, jackscrew pulley and trim pulley. Had to cut the fabric outside behind the pilots seat to expose the split fair leads we also cut the fabric inside to the left of the passenger seat. The dumb **** that installed the extended baggage used pop rivets and assembled the sheet metal inside the plane with no way to remove other than drilling out all the pop rivets, thanks man. We fed the one piece trim cable through the fuselage to the new jackscrew pulley and the cable seemed short it’s that the old cable was stretched. Working blind through the lower inspection cover after many attempts we got the pulley on the shaft. Be careful the trim cable makes a twist inside the aft fuselage where you are working up to your armpit blind. If you get the twist turned the wrong direction the trim will work in reverse, ask me how I know this. The trim works like it should now, not a bit of slipping just some cussing. In summary, all new pulleys and new trim cable. Definitely will do the supercub double pulley if an when I ever feel the need to rebuild her.

Well done, sounds like a lot of work and well worth it to get a result!!!!! Also sounds like (some) cussing is a global Cub Phenomenon :)

Cheers

Philly

Back