• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

When You Fall Through the Ice...Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Dr. Giesbrecht is a Canadian physiologist who operates the Laboratory for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at the Univeristy of Manitoba in Manitoba, Canada. He studies the effects of extreme environments, including cold, heat, hypoxia and hypobaria on the human body. I have come to know this gentleman in preparing survival medicine presentations to physicians and to pilots. His methods of research are sometimes chilling, pun intended.

Please take 10 minutes and watch this video, and share some video time with your children and loved ones. The tips he uses in this demonstration are extremely useful should you fall through the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

The importance of this at this time of year is great in Minnesota. We had a near tragedy here in Park Rapids a week ago when a man and woman went through the ice on an ATV. Today I was flying the super cub around to area lakes and was dismayed to see many ice fishermen out on the ice, vehicles and all, despite there being open water nearby. The ice is still a bit too thin for my liking at some of our area lakes, so I am choosing to put off landing for a few days until the sub-zero temps freeze the water a bit more.

Dr. G's tips will save lives, folks. Please, please be careful, and please take a moment to watch this video.

Thank you.

Randy

Medical Matters

P.S. Here are two additional video by Dr. G:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBVWrqvkEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAwzPgRYOI

Last edited:
Randy, thanks for the links to the video. It was very well worth while to watch all of them. Margie and I both enjoyed watching them. Margie is deathly afraid of the water even though she can swim. We are going to show them to our grandkids as they come over for Christmas. Thank you Rick Papp

That was quite interesting and informative. Thanks for posting. We spend a fair amount of time on and about the ice and have witnessed some close calls over the years. And, unfortunately, some preventable losses. Some of the snowmobilers like to carry modified screwdrivers in a side pouch to help get out should they break through the ice. It also helps to know what to do to get warm after you've gotten yourself out of the water. That is another great topic.

The sea water of Puget Sound is pretty darned cold year-round.
Years ago, a friend of mine who was a pilot as well as being an old sailor told me that if I ever had to ditch in it,
and there wasn't a boat handy to ditch next to,
I should save myself and everybody else a lot of trouble and just swim for the bottom.

After trying the new years day "polar bear dip" thing once years ago,
I decided he was right.

The good doctor reminds me of a PhD from the University of Victoria who brought a team of his graduate students to Cold Bay, AK to study the effects of cold water immersion. He was working on a better immersion suit and other work garments that would improve survivability in cold water immersion.

Basically, he rigged up a swing that he could suspend from our dock, then put a graduate student in the swing, equipped with a rectal thermometer, and monitored the length of time it took their core temperature to drop.

For a baseline, the first “dip” for each student was done in street clothes for an individual baseline. Then, they each got dipped wearing progressively warmer garments, concluding the experiment wearing the new at the time full immersion suit. Every time one of the students went in the water, they stayed till their core temp dropped a specified amount.

None of the students’ body temps dropped while wearing the full immersion suit....and at least two of them stayed in the water for a looooong time.

But one of their experiments was to develop a coat that boaters might actually wear (as opposed to an immersion suit, which isn’t very “wearable”) and its effectiveness in delaying the onset of hypothermia.

The coat turned out to be quite effective in delaying the onset of hypothermia. At one point, I asked them why they’d come to Cold Bay, since near frozen water is pretty much the same temp everywhere. Their response was they wanted the credibility of having conducting testing in severe conditions.

It was a fascinating illustration of the effects of cold immersion, and the fact that graduate students will in fact do anything in the name of research.

A link to a story: http://web.uvic.ca/torch/torch2003f/feature_survival_science.htm
MTV

Last edited:
The rectal thermometer reference gave me an idea.....
how about something like one of those JC Whitney dipstick oil heaters for wintertime heat in an open cockpit or leaky airplane?
Warm you from the inside out.....

I fell through the ice while ice sledding in Michigan when I was 10 years old. My father had invented this particular type of ice boat back in the '50's (http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/PP15488.html) and it used to be a weekly thing, going out to the frozen lakes around SE Michigan and racing around. There'd be 30 or 40 of us, it was a big family deal, plus my father would be selling kits, plans, and complete sleds on the side. One day I had the urge to go a little further out, and then a little bit more further, who the hell knows what I was thinking, I was 10!

I still remember the sinking feeling in my still descending testicles (ha ha) when I broke through the ice. At 10, you don't think much about death, but I instantly realized this was a very serious situation. Wearing heavy '50's style winter clothing, that weighed a ton dry, more when wet, I got back up to the surface after getting drug down 3 or 4' below by the sinking sled. then it was a "simple" matter of repeatably attempting to pull myself back onto the ice, while it broke off underneath me, until I either drowned or eventually made it to solid enough ice to support me. It turned out to be the latter. Then, all I had to do was jog (we called it running back then) a mile or so, in single digits temps, in that wet heavy clothing. Once back at the station wagon, I got a pass from my father and mother from being so stupid to get so far out, by surviving the adventure. To this day, I'm pretty sure that's the closet I've been to death. I do not recommend the experience!

Thanks Doc Randy! Very informative video. I've spent many many winters on frozen lakes but still learned a lot from this one, Pete Schoeninger. Cub on skis - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Cub on skis - Copy.jpg
    Cub on skis - Copy.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 404
The rectal thermometer reference gave me an idea.....
how about something like one of those JC Whitney dipstick oil heaters for wintertime heat in an open cockpit or leaky airplane?
Warm you from the inside out.....
Slightly off subject but... We put my HS girlfriend in our old original 220 Stearman for her first ride with me and my new private rating around 1965. When told to hold on to the fuselage frame she responded,... but won't I burn my hands on those pipes? We laughed uproariously. Say what? "Isn't there hot water in those pipes?" No sweetie, no hot water in the pipes. Fast forward 20 years to 1986 and now a 600 HP Stearman with a rear oil tank. Winter time and I'm frozen stiff, wrapping one hand and then the other round that pipe inside the cockpit running from the oil tank to the engine. She wasn't that crazy after all. Sorry I know this is superfluous to an important discussion.

I went through the ice on a snowmachine, it was colder than -40F. Was running a Marten line in Interior Alaska. Came down a frozen creek and went through just before the mouth where it joined a good sized frozen over river. Managed to pull the machine out and up a bank. Looked downriver to get an idea how far my wall tent with a wood stove in it was. I figured it was a little over a mile. I knew I would never make it that far in those temps! Managed to start a fire in a nearby stand of Spruce, I had a fire starter kit in a waterproof container and it started first try. My fingers were cold to the point that there wasn't going to be a 2nd try...After drying my gear enough to hike down river, I stayed at the emergency wall tent camp while trying to get the frozen machine running again. Eventually I hiked 47 miles down to our trapping cabin to get another snowmachine. That was a fun experience...

Great links Randy. When the researcher is putting himself through actual life and death scenarios it builds the credibility immensely.

I fell into a cold November river when my kayak capsized. I didn’t think I was going to make it. The cold water zaps your strength quickly and water logged clothing makes it all the worse.

Another time I was landing my former PA18 on a frozen snow covered reservoir on skis. Coasting to a stop it broke through the thin ice patch we went over. We were probably going 20 mph at the time, maybe a bit slower. I jammed the throttle forward and we kept moving until reaching solid ice again.

Situations like this are no time or place for panic. Making good decisions quickly is important.

Thanks for the info Randy. That was all new to me and very timely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks, winter has set in pretty firmly in the North Country...lakes are freezing up and I have no doubt that the ice fishermen are pulling against the reins to get back on the ice. So, too, are some of us who look forward to landing on these frozen lakes. Please take a moment to watch the video at the top of this thread, and share it with your family and friends. This could save your lives should you find yourself having gone through the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz3gy5XyaBo

Randy

ps: another rendition of this is demonstrated in this video. The technique is the same as that pioneered by Dr. Giesbrecht. Fast forward to 4:30 of this video to see a good overview if the "Dr. Popsicle" technique.

Last edited:
I once flipped a canoe while in some whitewater a little too early in the season. The old hearsay muddled my thinking more than the hypothermia. I was desperately clawing my way up the loose bank thinking I had seconds until brain fog set in. As my shoulders came out I figured I should make one ritual sweep behind me and there was the bowline as the canoe tried to pass me. I had no idea where the boat was, just dumb luck. I came within a moment of losing the whole rig to certain destruction. Now I know that fatigue matters more than core temp in those first few minutes. Thank You!

I once flipped a canoe while in some whitewater a little too early in the season. The old hearsay muddled my thinking more than the hypothermia. I was desperately clawing my way up the loose bank thinking I had seconds until brain fog set in. As my shoulders came out I figured I should make one ritual sweep behind me and there was the bowline as the canoe tried to pass me. I had no idea where the boat was, just dumb luck. I came within a moment of losing the whole rig to certain destruction. Now I know that fatigue matters more than core temp in those first few minutes. Thank You!

I did something like that, was ferrying across under a low dam while in my carbon fiber cruising canoe. We still had ice on the water as we normally do for first paddle. When the bow dropped into the rapid flow the boat just rolled out from under me. I had a wetsuit on but the 50 min paddle out became enduring. I did some learning that day.
It was another two hours till we got home but our hot tub was very welcome.
P4090512.JPG P4090507.JPG

I watched a few more of Dr. Giesbrecht's presentations, he doesn't play around with his teaching methods. If he can't get a point across no one can. I will be forwarding links to his teachings.

Attachments

• P4090512.JPG
    P4090512.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 216
  • P4090507.JPG
    P4090507.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 214
I’ve have hyper-ther. Many times from cold water. I worked as a Hard-Hat diver year around in the Northeast doing Hydro Dam work and underwater construction and salvage. I’m here to tell you it’s no joke and needs to be address before you go in. You do get somewhat used to it and better at it but no matter what you can’t stop the effects for ever. I wear a inflatable vest on ice, that ice fishing, flying you name it. From my experience most people drown from gasping when they hit the water or start chocking and then Injust water. If you are in a plane before you get out or go under the water take a deep breath and hold it and put your hand over your mouth and hang on closing off your mouth and nose. You will pop up and the funny one calm down the best you can. Now watch the video again and remember this fellow has been in cold water many times and is about as good as you get at it and he couldn’t get out the second time.

Well, just when you think it will never happen to you, guess what. Bam. In the interest of other folks who hang around frozen water I will urge you to watch the videos at the beginning of this thread. They info they have will save your life. It did mine yesterday.
My folks live on a lake in central Maine. I always enjoy being able to take the cub to their house at Christmas time, land on the lake and have dinner with them. My dad taught me to fly in his super cub when I was 17, and I think he likes to look out on the lake and see me in mine 40 years later. Those of you that know me know I get up early, I have most of my life. I like to go into the hangar am mess with the plane, there is never anyone looking for me, and the phone doesnt ring at 4 am.
Yesterday I was putting the ski fittings on the cub, and decided at 5 to go check the ice on the lake in the pickup. We have had several nights with lows in the single numbers so there should be good ice.
Its still mostly dark at 530, and my mom and dad are still asleep in the house. I walked by a spade next to his shed, and grabbed that. I have a little elec chainsaw with marks on the end.
there is a solid 4 inches of good ice out to 200 yards then starts to thin out to 2. Thats far enough, and turn and head back. I stepped on a bit of crunchy ice I just walked over, and boom, Im in up to my neck. I caught myself with the spade so I didnt go completly under. Its 530 am, still pretty dark, Im 200 yards from my dads house, and up to my neck in the water. I told myself out loud that boy you have found a world of shi$$t for yourself now
I remembered the points in the video, the biggest one is not to panic. Told myself i had been swimming in this lake for 55 years, Keep your cool and get out. It took me three tries, but then I was rolling on the ice, and headed for the pickup.
I decided not to wake up the folks, but have since paid for it by my mom ripping me a new one. I certainly deserve it, and wont do that again.
A special note of thanks to Dr Randy for posting this up again. You saved my butt with your info yesterday. Thanks is kind of a weak word. But thanks. You are an angel living among us

Jim Crane

Wow, and glad you are here, and had a usable tool with you. It was a cold morning yesterday. This time of year I just look at my pond, I have a fair bit of trimming around my pond that is best done from the ice, it can wait. Still to much stream flow to trust the surface.

Just 10 minutes ago I was walking with the dog and jumping on the ice on the stream on my property, and flashing back to my childhood fall through the ice in Michigan, which still gives me shivers. In this case I only would have gotten my feet wet, but I do land some of the Idaho reservoirs when on the skis, and they are always a bit spooky, even if safe, just knowing that cold water is so close! Good work Jim! wow....

This happened yesterday morning on my pond when a Cherokee seemed to have power troubles and landed "on" the thin ice.

EMVj_WyWsAACT7G
HALIFAX-PLANE-REMOVAL-2.jpg

Two days ago there wasn't any ice on the pond. Fortunately for him, he was close to the shore and a neighbor broke ice while picking him off the plane with a canoe.

Wow!

Meanwhile, in Florida:

8165D206-A4BB-4601-9CBE-F8C9C1AE5C46.jpeg

Attachments

• 8165D206-A4BB-4601-9CBE-F8C9C1AE5C46.jpeg
    8165D206-A4BB-4601-9CBE-F8C9C1AE5C46.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 188
Daryl
if you look closely in the water behind you you can see that 12 ft gator getting ready to chomp you in the butt
we generally don’t worry much about those.
I was flying with chuck in his amphib Carbon cub last winter and he told me not to dump this airplane in the lake, the gators would soon show up and they won’t be looking for airplane parts

That said I should be there after the holidays with mine. Would love to stop by and say hi

jim

Daryl
if you look closely in the water behind you you can see that 12 ft gator getting ready to chomp you in the butt
we generally don’t worry much about those.
I was flying with chuck in his amphib Carbon cub last winter and he told me not to dump this airplane in the lake, the gators would soon show up and they won’t be looking for airplane parts

That said I should be there after the holidays with mine. Would love to stop by and say hi

jim

Come on by. I had my wife watching for gators. I'm sure she was diligently looking out for me...;-)

Scouter, thanks for posting! It was good to hear your voice yesterday.

What did your mom have to say about it? 8)

sj

Ole & Lena lived by a lake in Nordern Minnesota. It vas early vinter and da lake had yust froze over.
Ole asked Lena if she vould valk across da frozen lake to da yeneral store to get him some smokes. She asked him for some money, but he told her, “Nah, yust put it on our tab.”
So Lena valked across, got the smokes at da yeneral store, den walked back home across the lake. Ven she got home and gave Ole his smokes, she asked him, “Ole, you alvays tell me not to run up da tab at da store. Why didn’t you yust give me some money?”
Ole replied, “Vell, I didn’t vant to send you out dere vit some money ven I vasn’t sure how tick the ice vas yet.”

Jim, I, too, was very happy to hear your voice when we spoke after your incident. I know of several people who have benefited from the video that was on the lead post of this thread. You kept your wits about you, and that was so important.

Thanks for letting us know, and for posting here. Things are taken a little more seriously when this stuff happens to people we know and respect.

I assume your Mom put you in a timeout for awhile. Thank heavens using the paddle isn't as prominent today, as it would be difficult for us to know that she made a grown man cry :lol:

Randy

Back