• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thin ice still in Maine

Probably looking for Rena and John F checking out the steam engines. Mark pissed them off. Better to land on Chamberlain and deal with the mud.

Glenn

Last edited:
This seems to be pretty quiet in the news here, I've only seen it once and no pics just a partially submerged plane. when the last pilot had something happen with no damage it was on the news everyday for a month and cost him his job. I wonder how this will turn out?

Probably looking for Rena and John F checking out the steam engines. Mark pissed them off. Better to land on Chamberlain and deal with the mud.

yeah--maybe he should stick to his canoe----LOL----Capt Cub

185.jpg

Its 6 below zero and 10 kt winds right now at Eagle Lake. Where do you begin on this project?

jim

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,494
View attachment 34215
Its 6 below zero and 10 kt winds right now at Eagle Lake. Where do you begin on this project?

jim
j

Big helicopter, chainsaw to cut around the plane, lift. Or, build a platform with a lifting tower and slide into place, hoist as you cut ice. move it to the side or front and then tent to thaw before moving.

j

Big helicopter, chainsaw to cut around the plane, lift. Or, build a platform with a lifting tower and slide into place, hoist as you cut ice. move it to the side or front and then tent to thaw before moving.
That will take a big helicopter to lift the roughly 6000 pounds of plane and ice. With the temperature being below zero it might do less damage to tie a buoy line to the lifting rings and let it settle to the bottom until spring. The water damage is already done.

That will take a big helicopter to lift the roughly 6000 pounds of plane and ice. With the temperature being below zero it might do less damage to tie a buoy line to the lifting rings and let it settle to the bottom until spring. The water damage is already done.

Your probably right. go cut it loose now before the ice crushes it and let it sink

Glenn

Make a four legged rope bridle with a single lifting line to the buoy. Then in the spring use the State's Huey to lift the 185 to the surface while slowly towing it to shore. Then it can be carefully removed without further damage. The article did say that they have their own facility at the shore. Is there also a hangar?

This seems to be pretty quiet in the news here, I've only seen it once and no pics just a partially submerged plane. when the last pilot had something happen with no damage it was on the news everyday for a month and cost him his job. I wonder how this will turn out?

I was thinking the same thing.

Larry.

I heard thru the jungle drums they were going to float it with inflatable airbags. There are a couple of outfits here that recover cars and atvs and snowmobiles with divers and airbags.

Jeff Spencer is a good stick and a nice guy. I've spoken with him a couple times at thefuel pumps
I suppose the odds of getting in a tough spot go up considerably when you fly the hours off airport that these guys do.
They have had a couple 185s twisted up on skis the past few years, and had a guykilled in crappy wx in 2011
i hope Jeff comes looking for me if I end up in the Woods of Maine

jim

There but for the grace of good fortune go all of us. Spencer was lucky to get out. We'll all be out looking for any of our friends down in the winter in a heartbeat. In the summer we might let you sit for an overnight if all is otherwise ok, but this time of year is far more deadly than people think. Mainers will shortly be imperiling themselves with snowmobiles in the annual fracas of fractures and worse on a startling basis.

Meh. They got gobs of those things up the block here in Bangor. 'Bout time they found something more creative to do with them than come out and visit us on "return to service after maintenance" flights. Nice playthings with an unlimited credit card to fill them up. Good folk fly them, so kudos for them for punching through the reams of paperwork necessary to go save the Warden Service Cessna....

Maybe it will be on the Warden show I’ve been watching on tv. I see they had a section on the Maine Wardens.

Good training mission for the chopper. Leaving that Cessna gas and oil leaker in the pond might upset some folks and fish so best it's recovered.

Gary

Good training mission for the chopper. Leaving that Cessna gas and oil leaker in the pond might upset some folks and fish so best it's recovered.

Gary

4 of us landed there on floats and the Wardens threw us off for environmental reasons.

Glenn

4 of us landed there on floats and the Wardens threw us off for environmental reasons.

Glenn

Rule #1: Never P or drain your sump in a fish pond with the Wardens watching. I've seen the TV series. It'd be hard to have much fun there.

Gary

Different eagle lake, this one way up north. Besides I thought you had Heather with you on choo choo search and she made it all better with warden/

jim

Different eagle lake, this one way up north. Besides I thought you had Heather with you on choo choo search and she made it all better with warden/

jim

Ok, I was wondering, I didn't remember any houses on Eagle Lk. Heather wasn't with us. Her bodyguard Cody was with me and flew us up there.

Glenn

Good idea

Must be nice to have unlimited money and use of aircraft

https://www.facebook.com/george.dumond/videos/10214309945053557/
Very good work on the recovery! Actually the recovery expense is less then it seems...
you already own the helicopter, it’s already staffed and maintained. You burnt some fuel but that may
have been used somewhere else anyway. All considered, no injuries, some good team work, and, as already pointed out, a great training exersize for real. Your 185 is in the hanger and likely will be ready on floats in the spring! A good lesson for the rest of us flying off frozen lakes- I need to be careful!
Roddy

Back