• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thin ice still in Maine

Can't say for all but most lakes freeze along the edge first, and away from shore or in the middle last. Ice is thinner in spots further out from shore until later. Ask an ice fisher.

Edit: Not saying this happened here....but vehicles moving on ice create a pressure wave around them and can bend the ice below. That wave/depression can weaken the ice enough to let the vehicle submerge. A plane can T&G fast and not have a problem but can when slowing or turning. Watched it happen once at Chena Marina in Fairbanks in late spring. Helicopter recovery.

Gary

Last edited:
I was extremely impressed with the helicopter piloting - especially how precisely the initial, incremental lift was accomplished as water drained from the Cessna.

Folks, please take a moment to visit the thread that i just started which graphically demonstrates a method of what to do if we fall through the ice.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...You-Fall-Through-the-Ice-Dr-Gordon-Giesbrecht

This scientist has conducted some excellent research on how to increase our chances of survival. I think it is a "must watch" video.

farmboy and Jim, thanks for the inspiration to start the thread on "what to do..."

Randy

Have been reading Jake Morrels excellent book, "Gary Dumond Remembers.

Recovering a Super cub from Moosehead lake, back along

jim

IMG_4263.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,963
Last edited:
Back