• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mayo Clinic BasicMed Course

I saw this announced by GA News or someone.
The AOPA online course is quick and simple and easy to complete.
I don't think you even have to be an AOPA member to take their basicmed course.
Curious why anyone would see the need for an alternative means of compliance?

As a former consultant and faculty member of Mayo Clinic, I can tell you that Mayo does nothing unless there is a positive financial "upside" to any action. In this case, they are compiling a wonderful database of pilots to whom they can send solicitations for donations, for providing medical services, etc. Benevolence? Uh, not so much.

In examining the program they have devised, it will take twice as long to complete, and it will enter you into the "Mayo Family".

AOPA is scratching its head trying to figure out why Mayo developed this program. It is no mystery to one who was a Mayo physician at one time...they want your medical business!

Randy

I definitely like the AOPA set up and took the test first and passed. Then went to my AME at his satellite office here in town so it saved me driving 40 miles round trip to his official FAA approved office. He seemed okay with doing Basic Med. I was his first and his nurse said he had turned one guy down because of some issues.

Hi Randy,

I am the program manager for Mayo Clinic Aerospace Medicine, an ATP, CFI/CFII, aircraft owner, EAA and AOPA member. I can assure you that we have never used the information from those that used our BasicMed Education course to solicit donations or marketing. The FAA reached out to both AOPA and Mayo Clinic to develop the educational courses. I'm sorry that you feel our only interest is one of financial benefit. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have additional comments.

Mitch Nelson
Mayo Clinic Aerospace Medicine

Mitch, thanks for the note.

I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that I served on the faculty at Mayo Clinic for a number of years in the early 1990's. In fact, I was awarded Faculty of the Year Awards in the Department of Ob/Gyn in 1990 and 1992. I have remained in practice in MN, ND, WI, MT and AK and have worked in scenarios in which Mayo Clinic has "developed" a presence (particularly in MN and WI) and I am very aware of the manner in which Mayo has worked in those settings. While I am the first to recognize the fact that for many diseases Mayo Clinic is the best place for patients to go, I am also cognizant of some significant negative impacts Mayo has had on medical facilities outside of Rochester. My experience with patients whom I have referred to other departments at Mayo is that they are automatically enrolled in processes in which they receive invitations to donate to the Mayo Foundation or other programs at Mayo. These experiences are the foundation for my sincere belief that Mayo is not the benevolent organization that it purports to be.

I would have preferred to deal with this via pm, but feel that your post demands this public response. I would be happy to discuss this privately, if you wish.

It is with these thoughts in mind that I encourage pilots to work through AOPA's BasicMed portal.

Randy

Mayo Clinic is on my $hit list. When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer I contacted Mayo in Rochester for treatment. I was turned away. No room in the inn. My guess is it was because of Medicare.

When I needed medical care, I tried to go to Mayo. They refused me, not once but several times. They didn’t like my insurance. As I am down in Phoenix for now, it was easy to get what I needed. Mayo said I had to go to Florida or someplace silly for them to treat me with my insurance.
And several patients at the facility I went to, came from Mayo, and told me I was better off staying away from there.

On the other side of the equation, I wouldn’t be flying had I not gone to Mayo’s Aero-Medical Group to right a wrong-read on a treadmill test which I am forever grateful. Yes sometime later the foundation solicited a donation and I made a small one with a one-time stipulation and I haven’t been approached since.

Last edited:
This is my thoughts on Mayo Clinic. My wife and I have been patients and employees for many years. She retired with 30 years at Mayo. We have know moved to Wisconsin 2 years ago and going to a different hospital know. The care here is way above and beyond what Mayo has given us. Never go back. I just got done with several weeks of recovery from a hiatal hernia surgery the surgeon said that over 80% of my stomach was in my chest. The surgeon called 5 different times checking on me before the surgery and after. Mayo would not do that.

Back