Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 1189

Thread: Where did you fly today?

  1. #1121

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla,Ak
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84F12E3E-79A4-4325-985D-FE3C79B50759.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	55992

    Beach combing the Alaska Penninsula in the new Cub

  2. #1122
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    11,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Litecub View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84F12E3E-79A4-4325-985D-FE3C79B50759.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	55992 Beach combing the Alaska Penninsula in the new Cub
    I'm curious as to your choice of a three blade prop? Was there a particular reason or did you just want to try one? Did you find any particular advantages or disadvantages? How much horsepower are you harnessing with it? Noise level?
    N1PA

  3. #1123
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    11,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99A8C1ED-F951-4DBE-BBB2-DA646AA606B6.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	55993

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99A8C1ED-F951-4DBE-BBB2-DA646AA606B6.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	55993Quick visit to Spotted Bear.

    MTV
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  4. #1124

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210530_194935.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	55994
    Went and opened gates to let cows out to summer pasture.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  5. #1125

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla,Ak
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I'm curious as to your choice of a three blade prop? Was there a particular reason or did you just want to try one? Did you find any particular advantages or disadvantages? How much horsepower are you harnessing with it? Noise level?
    This Cub is an experimental “Monster Cub” with a Lycoming YIO-390 Thunderbolt engine which puts out 218 to 225 per Lycoming. I will post a more detailed answer in a thread for this build. I’m am gathering avionics to redo the panel currently as what I put in has seriously under performed with a second dark screen episode on this trip. Lake Clark Air saved the day with a loaner battery in Port Alsworth on the way home. (Thank you Dennis!!!)
    LiteCub
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post

  6. #1126
    NoFlaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1622507091.691887.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	55998
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  7. #1127
    NoFlaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 hr flight to Trigger Gap. Very nice place. Also stopped at Carrol County for fuel. We will be back again.


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

  8. #1128

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Litecub View Post
    This Cub is an experimental “Monster Cub” with a Lycoming YIO-390 Thunderbolt engine which puts out 218 to 225 per Lycoming. I will post a more detailed answer in a thread for this build. I’m am gathering avionics to redo the panel currently as what I put in has seriously under performed with a second dark screen episode on this trip. Lake Clark Air saved the day with a loaner battery in Port Alsworth on the way home. (Thank you Dennis!!!)
    LiteCub
    Lite Cub, did you have backup with Foreflight or something else? I had that happen once and had to get the sectional out. What a pain.

    NoFlaps, what state is Tigger Gap in?

  9. #1129
    DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bolivia
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a clip from last Friday that the patient's family member shot on a cell phone. This strip is a natural and works in most wind conditions. I'm landing south even though the winds aloft are from the north at 30 kts.

    https://youtu.be/_W0D52jFAG0
    Likes Utah-Jay, Colorado-Cub, silflexer liked this post

  10. #1130
    NoFlaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePA11 View Post
    Lite Cub, did you have backup with Foreflight or something else? I had that happen once and had to get the sectional out. What a pain.

    NoFlaps, what state is Tigger Gap in?
    17A Trigger Gap is in Northwest Arkansas.



    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  11. #1131
    Cubus Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put boards on Debbie's truck this Memorial weekend.


    Saw a TRX in the wild at the Chocolate OX


    Ran the 2.3 Honda around the lake.


    Flew the Cub on a perfect Memorial Day evening.





  12. #1132
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus View Post
    Put boards on Debbie's truck this Memorial weekend.


    Saw a TRX in the wild at the Chocolate OX


    Ran the 2.3 Honda around the lake.


    Flew the Cub on a perfect Memorial Day evening.




    OK, that post just coupled you up with your instagram

  13. #1133

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to Aviat for annual.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aviat Sign.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	56105
    Above is at the Aviat Factory in Afton Wyoming.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afton Sign.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	56106
    This is downtown Afton Wyoming.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afton Hills.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	56107
    Some of the hills around Afton from taxiway to KAFO.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cool Jet.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	56108
    Afton Airpark - Note jet parked outside one of the homes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Husky Jig.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	56109
    Massive jig for the Husky frames.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Husky Wiring.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	56110
    Nice wiring job in manufacturing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitts Wing.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	56111
    Pitts wing being refurbished in manufacturing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route back.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	56112
    Route back from KAFO to Denver area.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wyoming Sand.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	56113
    Lots of open area and even sand dunes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wyoming Formations.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	56114
    Some mountain formations in Wyoming.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	56115
    Going through Rocky Mountains. Peaks way in background.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Husky.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	56116
    Back home in one piece.

  14. #1134
    courierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inkom, Idaho
    Posts
    1,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only a pilot from Colorado would call the range east of Afton, hills!
    Likes Colorado-Cub, Delta Cub liked this post

  15. #1135

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Only a pilot from Colorado would call the range east of Afton, hills!
    Mounds? Bumps? Look tiny to me too!

    (So glad you are back in the air Dave! Your route back is how I always sneak back home too in my 11, and we use a similar approach to get to Grand Junction when the weather is questionable...)

  16. #1136

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Only a pilot from Colorado would call the range east of Afton, hills!
    That was funny. Here is photo from my deck in Evergreen Colorado at around 7,800' elevation. So I have been looking at mountain tops which are usually snow covered. The mountains around Afton all have grass on them!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evergreen Deck.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	56117
    Mount Evans at 14,265' in the background from home deck in Evergreen, CO.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More Afton Hills with Husky.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	56119
    vs some Afton hills from the Aviat parking lot...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afton Mountains.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	56118
    Your right! The hills are actually mountains at 10K feet plus. Not use to mountains being green...
    Last edited by DavePA11; 06-07-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    Likes Colorado-Cub, 180Marty, Delta Cub liked this post

  17. #1137
    TVATIVAK71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Collecting a few balls and cool stuff from the Bristol Bay. While not as plentiful as in the past (at least in northern part of bay) pic was the first days haul. The next day we got about 300. Lake Clark pass was nice too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D903B8B6-EB7E-4B23-A827-C9520E730DA6.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	56196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5BE3C5B-FFBC-45BD-8C01-3B38185D7C8F.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	522.8 KB 
ID:	56195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2618FA31-3C81-40ED-A0D0-3577EF45EA62.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	56194  

  18. #1138
    RVBottomly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
    Posts
    1,150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TVATIVAK71 View Post
    Collecting a few balls and cool stuff from the Bristol Bay. While not as plentiful as in the past (at least in northern part of bay) pic was the first days haul. The next day we got about 300. Lake Clark pass was nice too!
    Certainly looks cool, but could you help a prairie kid out? What are those and why are they collectible?

    I did a search for "blue balls Bristol Bay" and came up with what you might expect--it had nothing to do with what you've shown.
    Thanks silflexer thanked for this post

  19. #1139
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    11,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    Certainly looks cool, but could you help a prairie kid out? What are those and why are they collectible?

    I did a search for "blue balls Bristol Bay" and came up with what you might expect--it had nothing to do with what you've shown.
    https://westcoastseaglass.com/blog/g...ing-net-floats

    N1PA
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

  20. #1140
    TVATIVAK71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    Certainly looks cool, but could you help a prairie kid out? What are those and why are they collectible?

    I did a search for "blue balls Bristol Bay" and came up with what you might expect--it had nothing to do with what you've shown.
    LMAO! I dumped them in a sink and started washing them…….friggin adult son had a heyday with “ball washer” comments. Lots of people think any glass fishing float is of Japanese origin. Truth is many countries used them and not all are vintage floats (balls) some were used well into the 70’s and later made ones have synthetic webbing. I believe Norway was the first to use glass fishing floats.

    Anyway, I kinda find those balls cool and can’t leave any behind. Lotta balls!
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

  21. #1141
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    2,894
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started collecting them in 1965 on shores near Sitka AK. Great fun and an honor to sea currents that move them plus manufacturing and use. Long line ocean fisheries mainly with nets or better yet hooks that they supported. Winds, sea swells, and tides would leave them above the high water mark in rocky crevices or uphill from the ocean on beaches.

    Gary

  22. #1142
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flew the Utah backcountry today hitting up 8 strips

    Happy Canyon

    Attachment 56228
    Mexican Mountain
    Attachment 56227



    Hidden Splendor
    Attachment 56226
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08A8F4CD-8B37-4248-B054-631756D50EE4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	56231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CE9A61F-9C44-4577-8791-3FFCF63FC2A6.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	56229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACB45682-401D-4878-801B-A93E85AED5A5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	56230  
    Last edited by Utah-Jay; 06-18-2021 at 01:42 PM.

  23. #1143
    Bayou Navigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Louisiana Swamp
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557D6EDB-2A5A-4E19-971C-1D3E728E1AFA.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	56234Flew to Jennings this past Saturday to watch the STOL competition. Those pilots are very serious about that competition.
    When everything is going wrong, and the world is bearing down on you.......GO FULL THROTTLE!!!
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

  24. #1144

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canyon, tx
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Navigator View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557D6EDB-2A5A-4E19-971C-1D3E728E1AFA.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	56234Flew to
    Jennings this past Saturday to watch the STOL competition. Those pilots are very serious about that competition.
    Well crap. If I’d have known that I’d have begged, stole and borrowed to get a ride!

  25. #1145
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    11,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TVATIVAK71 View Post
    LMAO! I dumped them in a sink and started washing them…….friggin adult son had a heyday with “ball washer” comments. Lots of people think any glass fishing float is of Japanese origin. Truth is many countries used them and not all are vintage floats (balls) some were used well into the 70’s and later made ones have synthetic webbing. I believe Norway was the first to use glass fishing floats.

    Anyway, I kinda find those balls cool and can’t leave any behind. Lotta balls!
    The big Japanese processor ships have a kiln to melt down bottles from the ship's use, and someone blows them into fishing floats. Or at least they used to. Recycling. That was one of the reasons that some of the floats are somewhat different colors.

    MTV
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

  26. #1146

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83C6DBBF-2172-4446-AE1F-4576DD2D213B.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	56248
    anyplace with grass in The UP or Northern Wisconsin!
    Likes jrussl, Narwhal liked this post

  27. #1147
    aeroaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Boise ID area
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like
    $100 Hamburger (breakfast) at Sulphur Creek ID.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	56249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC-2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	56250  
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

  28. #1148
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    1,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had my neighbor come help with an oil change on the cub and she got to see the B-25 at Fleming Field. It was a good day!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4568.JPG 
Views:	892 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	56270

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4570.JPG 
Views:	892 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	56271

  29. #1149

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like


    Found a nice strip in the Knik with a rock pile for distance markers about every 100 feet! Not sure if that's a known place but I did a pretty good job of messing up the painted white start lines. It was kind of fun flying close to midnight on solstice, getting about 350 foot takeoff rolls and 300 foot landing rolls in the C182B @ 2200 lbs. Of course, that's with a 10 mph headwind
    Likes L18C-95 liked this post

  30. #1150
    Cubus Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lakes patrol on Saturday.


    This is the strip location of the upcoming Sodbusters STOL competition in August.









    New Tom Lehman course going in.






  31. #1151
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flew from Heber City, UT to Salmon, ID today

    Flying the backcountry with Dick Williams tomorrow, so that should be an adventure


  32. #1152

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried landing at Bold on the east side of Eklutna Lake in Alaska. It was no problem for the 'ol 182 on this day, granted, the strip is 1000 feet long. Any tips or things to watch out for here are appreciated. Can't wait to get my Cub next year and reduce my reliance on airstrips (and yeah, I know that statement doesn't apply in the chugach).

    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

  33. #1153
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    Tried landing at Bold on the east side of Eklutna Lake in Alaska. It was no problem for the 'ol 182 on this day, granted, the strip is 1000 feet long. Any tips or things to watch out for here are appreciated. Can't wait to get my Cub next year and reduce my reliance on airstrips (and yeah, I know that statement doesn't apply in the chugach).

    Gotta love hearing the stall horn

  34. #1154

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Jay;

    How do you get the compass/airspeed and altitude graph overlaid onto the video?? That's pretty slick and very helpful. It would be nearly a flight debrief. Sure would appreciate knowing how that's done.

    Thank you.

    ROA

  35. #1155
    courierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inkom, Idaho
    Posts
    1,919
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have to ask.....! I like that too, but didn't ask as I probably wouldn't understand the explanation.
    Likes skywagon8a, cubnut liked this post

  36. #1156
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I did 5 1/2 hours of instruction with Dick Williams up in the Idaho backcountry. Calling it amazing would be an understatement. I will post a trip report tomorrow, we did not take time to do many photos, but here are a couple. These are from Deadwood which is a big time uphill (at least for a low time pilot like me)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	262394C2-547A-41DA-8438-B8D7AF3D7649.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	56363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5896827-CD41-46C8-B8A9-19F211F82D03.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	56364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD38DFE0-B0F7-4B9F-9170-EF16F35BA85D.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	56365  

  37. #1157

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    If you have to ask.....!

    I like that too, but didn't ask as I probably wouldn't understand the explanation.


    I kinda thought the whole purpose of this list was to share information; help other; stuff like that


    And if you don't ask, you'll never understand for sure. If you ask maybe you might learn. Hey, it could happen..
    Last edited by RedOwlAirfield; 06-24-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: formatting

  38. #1158

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOwlAirfield View Post

    How do you get the compass/airspeed and altitude graph overlaid onto the video?? That's pretty slick and very helpful. It would be nearly a flight debrief. Sure would appreciate knowing how that's done.
    I'll speculate Garmin VIRB:

    "Prove How Intense the Adventure Was

    Built-in Garmin GPS and other sensors record data, called G-Metrix, during video capture. This the stuff that lets you prove how far, how fast and how high you went. VIRB Edit automatically highlights the most intense footage for you with premade G-Metrix animated gauges and graphs that show speed, altitude, g-force and more. It even gives you the option to add your own, if desired. With these tools, you can show the effort and thrill of every moment right on screen."


    Thanks RedOwlAirfield thanked for this post
    Likes DavePA11 liked this post

  39. #1159
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    1,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took my buddy's J-3 for a short overnight camping trip with my favorite person in the whole world. Good TImes!


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4636.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	56534

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4669 2.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	56535
    Likes Amy, Narwhal, Brandsman liked this post

  40. #1160
    jimboflying's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    597
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B119991-332A-4271-B4F0-519A39AD5AAA.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	56536FLY FISHING IN MONTANA
    Waiting for the smoke.
    Likes cafi19, Narwhal liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Where did you fly today?
    By Bugs66 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-04-2020, 11:10 PM
  2. What I did today
    By Grant in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 08:06 PM
  3. Big day for me today
    By harneymaki in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •