• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East winter Fun 17/18

Today’s a terrible day to fly. Rough commute to work.
e1328bc31bf43db776b8ed3d3218eeaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little warmer today

Was -34 below here this morning at Beaver River

Pit stop

Awesome day

Glenn

Last edited:
5becaa10daa9445d570d419c6fefcca0.jpg

5e683e8e1fa7ca8fe7414acbc3de5516.jpg

Me and the wife did a little fishing in northern Vermont today. +2deg and and a stiff south wind made for a chilly day but was able to catch a meal of perch for dinner.

No wingman today when the arctic wind blasts subsided, so headed north to find a spot to do some sort of skiplane overnight deal. North end Pemadumcook lake found a lakefront camp with a cook. Looks like a nice spot for a get together
minus 16 on front porch at 2 pm

On the way back, the greatest sport of all time pops up. Catching a coyote out in the middle of a frozen lake. They make a living getting deer out on the glare ice, where they can get them splayed out and then it's all over.
we havegood snow and slush so the deer can fight back pretty good for now This chap was half a mile from the woods. They are pretty smart when a plane is strafing them they usually ball up when you get close
he made it to the woods, but needs to change his soiled coyote pants no coyotes were harmed I need Steve E in back seat gunner

keep you posted on the SkiplanePalooza
jim

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Adam, looks like you got the skis working on the Tcart. We have to meet up one of these weekends.

Glenn

I’m down for that. Having a lot of fun with them so far, it sure is a pain in the butt pushing into the hanger. Made some dollies but trying to fine tune the alignment. Another thing, are you guys unhooking your bungees after each flight? Mine stretched out and had to heat them up to get them to retract, ended up adding a second to get by for the day.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I’m using 1/2 bungee from aircraft spruce. I’ll see how much more stretch is in them and make a adjustment. Seems like they don’t like the cold anymore than I do.

Junk the bungee cord and put a spring on there. Tension is always consistent and unaffected by the cold

Junk the bungee cord and put a spring on there. Tension is always consistent and unaffected by the cold

My springs have worked very, very well. I hear that some people actually buy them at Home Depot in the garage door accessories department. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

No wingman today when the arctic wind blasts subsided, so headed north to find a spot to do some sort of skiplane overnight deal. North end Pemadumcook lake found a lakefront camp with a cook. Looks like a nice spot for a get together
minus 16 on front porch at 2 pm

On the way back, the greatest sport of all time pops up. Catching a coyote out in the middle of a frozen lake. They make a living getting deer out on the glare ice, where they can get them splayed out and then it's all over.
we havegood snow and slush so the deer can fight back pretty good for now This chap was half a mile from the woods. They are pretty smart when a plane is strafing them they usually ball up when you get close
he made it to the woods, but needs to change his soiled coyote pants no coyotes were harmed I need Steve E in back seat gunner

keep you posted on the SkiplanePalooza
jim

Next time bring the Mighty Black Spud Squadron Regulation Defense Weapon and have a go....

JP

My springs have worked very, very well. I hear that some people actually buy them at Home Depot in the garage door accessories department. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

What size garage door do you have?

Glenn

What size garage door do you have?

Glenn

Gosh, they have quite a selection there. I think my door liked a 90 to 100 lb. The boys up at KMLT also have a lot of garage doors in town and might chime.

Next time bring the Mighty Black Spud Squadron Regulation Defense Weapon and have a go....

JP

Good thing I didnt have it with me I might have used it on myself. Do you remember our ride last weekend in the Pemi? Same thing yesterday around Debsconeag mts. Got my tailend handed to me again. Someday the wind might stop blowing around here.
The worse part was my friend who runs the Whitehouse Landing gave me a righteous double chocolate brownie, corner piece even. I just got the mighty Carbon Cub trimmed up and headed for home when all hell broke loose and slammed my head off the skylight again. Brownie goes flying into the baggage somewhere in pieces. Pity. I put it back together and ate it later

​Jim

Good thing I didnt have it with me I might have used it on myself. Do you remember our ride last weekend in the Pemi? Same thing yesterday around Debsconeag mts. Got my tailend handed to me again. Someday the wind might stop blowing around here.
The worse part was my friend who runs the Whitehouse Landing gave me a righteous double chocolate brownie, corner piece even. I just got the mighty Carbon Cub trimmed up and headed for home when all hell broke loose and slammed my head off the skylight again. Brownie goes flying into the baggage somewhere in pieces. Pity. I put it back together and ate it later

​Jim

Ha! I'm still at work and having one hell of a chuckle at that image. We gotta tighten that seat belt up a bit more. That 100 Miles Wilderness is a terror this time of year for sure. And the wind up there never stops in the winter.

True story--back in the late 70s and early 80s a fairly decent number of Milltown citizens decided the taxes were too high (oddly enough it was one of the highest per capita income towns in Maine) and stuck their proverbial middle fingers out and moved to the Lakes. They all poured a gob of money in converting their camps, paying for plowing and shuttling back and forth to town for school, work and groceries.

Oddly enough, the gorgeous days of summer with perfect weather and 73 degree water have their limits. Very few people had ever lived at the Lake year round. Turns out there's a reason for that.

When the NW winds of winter start moaning off Katahdin and the Hundred Mile Wilderness, they head straight down the lakes, blowing snow at 40-50 mph on a good winter day. Heck, even in town the winds of January could shake our solid old 1934 house on Maine Ave on those dark nights.

Needless to say, the "screw you we're moving year round to the lake" movement died a cold and rapid death. They were pretty much all moved back in within 3-5 years.

The newer insulations and heating systems make modern day venturers able to fair a bit better.

But, if you happen to be out there on the ice on a nicer afternoon you still may witness a small silver and yellow airplane going topsy turvy as it approaches the edges of the 100 Mile Wilderness. Listen close and you may hear him yelling.

As usual, day late and dollar short! So, bottom line I finally flew my cub today after 2 1/2 year rebuild project. Did a friendly fly by at Tom’s place.... hence forth I’ll post in the proper year!!

Congratulations Mark, look forward to flying with you and your shiny new ride

Glenn

Yep, willyb still has my skis, so I’ll have to run down there and pick them up. Need to do a little more rigging first. Flying around today it sure looks like good ski conditions..

I landed at Crow Island today. No willyb.
Landing at Crow was like pounding into 3’ seas in a 15’ boat without the spray.
Drifts cross the runway every 50’ feet or so

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yep, willyb still has my skis, so I’ll have to run down there and pick them up. Need to do a little more rigging first. Flying around today it sure looks like good ski conditions..

Looked good flying by. The strobes showed up a long way away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back