• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub frame number and serial number

beezerboy

I know the frame production number does not match the serial number on cubs. Some years ago I remember seeing something here that referenced the production number to the serial number.... I know someone here has that information. Heres the story: my father in law is an old time Ak pilot that flew for everybody from Reeve to Sheldon. Retired to Az. He flew until he was well into his 80's, but he is 90ish now, and among other things, his memory is not so good. anyway.... he has a cub project in the garage that he meant to build but never will. He didn't get the logs with the project, they were supposed to be sent or something. now its 10 years later and no logs, and.... he can't remember where or who he got the cub from. obviously, if I had the S/N, I could locate the registered owner and try to retrieve the stuff. His family would like to sell the thing to help pay for his care. I'm the only one in the family with aircraft experience, so they asked me how to deal with it. thanks

Get the fuselage number from the tag typically welded to the tube under the instrument panel and then contact Clyde Smith in Lockhaven Penn. I think he may be able to connect to the original serial number.

Evidently you must not have the data plate that should be on the floor board so you may not have much chance in finding enough of the original paperwork or records.

clyde@cubdoctor.com

Good luck

Alaska is very small when it comes to cubs. What is you father in laws name. If he got the plane in AK someone here may have been in the room at the time. The paper that makes it all work is the airworthiness certificate and data plate. That should be hanging out with all the parts. Logs really don't mean that much for a cub that is a bunch of parts in a shop for 10 years. Data plate should be on a floor board and airworthiness should be in back of seat or plastic pouch on metal part. If you can't find anything you can sometimes make money just selling parts.
DENNY

unfortunately, the plane is in AZ, so I'm trying to do this long distance. I've asked them down there to look for the data plate but no luck yet... but then, I don't know how hard they are trying (some 1/2 relatives involved too... complicated). also, the data plate may be in the missing records. I was hoping get the S/N & find the last registered owner and work it that way. fwiw, the mans name is Alex McInroy... quite a story that guy

Another place to look for the data plate would be in the tail area near the jackscrew if it was an early 50's Supercub.

Most people that purchase any airplane, whether a project or not, understand the value of “paper work, data plates, and certificates.
There’ve been several cubs built in the “old days” by gathering all the parts and then buying the “paper work” from someone who has a totaled out cub. Many wrecked cubs were abandoned in the bush so several sets of these documents were available. It was a very common practice.

Finding a set maybe what your father in law intended for his project. He was in aviation most of his life and would certainly know the importance of getting them at the time of purchase.

Several years ago the FAA put a stop to the practice or at least tried to. You still see some advertised on occasion.

Good cub parts are still quite valuable.

You may also discover from the serial number, that it is still flying somewhere, as the owner may have just replaced the fuselage and then sold the old parts.

Find out what they have, get photos, and advertise them on here. You will quickly find out what they are worth.

Another place to look for the data plate would be in the tail area near the jackscrew if it was an early 50's Supercub.

Is it a super cub or a J3/Pa11 Cub? J3/Pa11 tag would be above the rear seat passengers head on a diagonal tube on the right side.

Glenn

Does he have a bill of sale? Without it he doesn't own the s/n, data plate, or registration.

Of course, if he had it you would know the N number, s/n, and could get the records from the FAA.

Hi Ed,

I am reading this post and have some questions about the frame production number. Is this similar to the serial number? Are there cubs out there with "two" serial numbers or is that an automatic sign that your cub has gone through the chop/paperwork/and data plate rebrand.

Thanks!

The number stamped on the fuselage, door and flip up window is a build number. It was used to keep track of those items as they went down the line. The window and door on one aircraft don't necessarily fit another aircraft. I have never seen a build number and aircraft serial number match, always several numbers off.

... I have never seen a build number and aircraft serial number match, always several numbers off.

Me Either...

In addition to Steve's information, It's my understanding that another reason they dont match is that Piper used a "First In" - "Last Out" for the fuselage inventory. So the next serial number would have been given the most recent fuselage build since the earlier fuselages were stacked behind the one that was convienent to grab.

Back