Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Plane Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    George,
    Any particular Dave? I have a mechanic in the Charlotte area but he is not a 180 expert.
    It is cheap and easier for me to look at it first. Direct flights from PBI and FLL to CLT.

P.S. I can live with 500 ft.
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 12-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I was speaking of Dave Calkins. Pre-buys are one place it is not good to go cheap imho. Many little things can be found that are really expensive- like float kit pieces missing.

Good Luck getting that bird into 500' on a steady diet, (I don't see wing extensions).

It will be a great bird, no doubt- fairly fast, tough, and can haul lots- you will probably enjoy it. It is a later model so flies different than the early ones, (heavy), that is all I am saying.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t plan to skip the prebuy. It comes if it passes my inspection. Where does Dave live?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    That is not a LIGHT plane, nor will it feel like a sports car.

That is a heavy hauler, will perform ok, treat you well. If you are looking for a short strip plane, one that you can dance with like the cub, that is not it.

Those girls are a truck plain and simple. Load it up and go. But you will need arm strength to fly her.
    Hey, watch who you’re calling a truck, my girl operatates out of a pretty sporty 1200+ foot strip and will put a Saturday night smile our your face every time!
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Where does Dave live?
    he's reading this post...

http://www.supercub.org/forum/member...3-Dave-Calkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Panel has nothing to do with how it flies.

Glenn
    True. But a gross panel is spendy to make good.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Has a nice panel.
    Attachment 33951
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    True. But a gross panel is spendy to make good.
    This one appears to be well equip even though a lot of it is long out of business Narco. They did make nice avionics.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would anyone expect float kit parts to be missing? That's probably a well-loved airplane. It'll probably check out fine. Put a Kenmore GWT kit in it and you'd have a 1300# plus useful. Load it up, fly it out. That's why they're called Wagons. Leave it at mid weight and they'll work short very nicely. If you want inspiration for short ops? Lots of heavy touring Valdez videos are posted on Youtube. 185s with combined TO and Landings in the mid 300' range are there to watch. Will a guy with no Skywagon time be proficient right away? Nope. It takes time and practice to be good in any airplane. These are no different. But if a guy wants to get good? Go do it. Will it feel heavier than an early model? Yes, the elevator assist spring ensures that. It's like a 16oz beer is heavier than a 12oz beer. Guys seem to manage just fine. At that price the rest of the plane's condition will need to be tip top. Engine? Prop? What are the times on airframe and engine? What will you need to spend to make it your perfect plane? Lots of questions need to be addressed. The only person that needs to be impressed with an airplane is the guy writing the check. Good luck with the decision.
    Likes Dave Calkins, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    This one appears to be well equip even though a lot of it is long out of business Narco. They did make nice avionics.
    The photo is not current. It has a Garmin Xpdr and is ADS-B In & Out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The turn coordinator appears to also be an autopilot. What type is it?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Read Dave C's post and the comment about the gear legs and they do look like what my 54 model has ( no forward rake). I think they will be 11/16th's thick instead of 3/4's.
    Thanks WWhunter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Why would anyone expect float kit parts to be missing? That's probably a well-loved airplane. It'll probably check out fine. Put a Kenmore GWT kit in it and you'd have a 1300# plus useful. Load it up, fly it out. That's why they're called Wagons. Leave it at mid weight and they'll work short very nicely. If you want inspiration for short ops? Lots of heavy touring Valdez videos are posted on Youtube. 185s with combined TO and Landings in the mid 300' range are there to watch. Will a guy with no Skywagon time be proficient right away? Nope. It takes time and practice to be good in any airplane. These are no different. But if a guy wants to get good? Go do it. Will it feel heavier than an early model? Yes, the elevator assist spring ensures that. It's like a 16oz beer is heavier than a 12oz beer. Guys seem to manage just fine. At that price the rest of the plane's condition will need to be tip top. Engine? Prop? What are the times on airframe and engine? What will you need to spend to make it your perfect plane? Lots of questions need to be addressed. The only person that needs to be impressed with an airplane is the guy writing the check. Good luck with the decision.
    For what it’s worth, I couldn’t agree more. With that engine, this ship should compare favorably to a 185. And, that is a compliment.
    MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor mount should have vertical bars running between upper and lower firewall bolt locations and I believe some extra gusset plates. 4 lifting factory lifting eyes (may have been removed by now). Over the years parts like that get removed sometimes. Valdez is not the place to see what a loaded plane will do on a no wind day.
    DENNY
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am leaving Anchorage for a couple of weeks for the Oregon coast family visit.

Dave's not here.

He is surfing warmer (?) water.

Seriously, get a 180/185 guy to look at that plane. Not all Cessna mechanics (thats everybody, right?) know the inside of a 185

SB, even in AK 185-land there are lotsa these planes missing float kit elements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Caleb Curtis, Curtis air ,Pittsfield, me. He has rebuilt dozens of 180s, has flown more, and maintains several both on floats and wheels. He has a super sanitary 180 he just finished building. The guy knows 180s, pretty sure he has put float kits in more than one. Put him on a plane, Bangor has good connections to Charlotte Super nice guy and a strait shooter.

Jim
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    The turn coordinator appears to also be an autopilot. What type is it?
    S-TEC System 30

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	891D4FCA-757A-42B8-81D6-7C8A6CADAB93.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	33964

Name:	F52A1FBD-5FA7-4E8B-8193-476FCED9D1E2.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	33965

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie
    Put Steve Pierce on a plane to do the PPI.
    Lou
    Last edited by FdxLou; 12-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    Seriously, get a 180/185 guy to look at that plane. Not all Cessna mechanics (thats everybody, right?) know the inside of a 185

SB, even in AK 185-land there are lotsa these planes missing float kit elements.
    Concur wholeheartedly with Dave and others on using a knowledgeable 180/185 guy for a pre-buy. My first annual is turning into quite the little expensive project due to things that the "Cessna mechanic" I used didn't see on the pre-buy.

Mine has the factory float kit, but the aft fittings as well as the water rudder handle and pulleys were gone and finding the V-brace took some searching.

If you are going to put it on floats, make sure the prop is legal (don't ask me how I know that one...)

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of thoughts:

I agree with Dave's observation that the landing gear may perhaps have been replaced with the gear from an older plane. If it is as it appears it will be light on the tail and prone towards tipping on it's nose with heavy braking. This may also promote a ground looping tendency. It may also mean that it is not airworthy due to having parts not approved for this serial number. This may just be because of the angle in which the photo was taken and is of no concern.

260 hours on the new prop and engine overhaul. Is this due to the time when it was ground looped? I'm guessing, yes.

It appears to me that this airplane does have a factory float kit. Converting a 180/185 is a big project and since it is apparent that this one has never been on floats, it is unlikely that this one is an aftermarket installation.
    N1PA
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd want the mechanic of my choice to inspect it and sign it off as airworthy. That means a full-blown annual. Squalk repairs can be pre-negotiated between seller and buyer but doing a "pre buy" inspection wouldn't work for me.
    Likes mike mcs repair, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If those are the old 180 straight taper gear legs, and the Pponk "beef up" was installed over them, installing later gear will necessitate removal of the Pponk beef up.

Are there close up photos of the brake caliper area available? I am fairly convinced those look like the old legs to me.

I like the old legs on my airplane even at 2950 Gross. Nice and Soft. At lighter flying weights I am doing some pretty awesome tundra ops. The Desser 31's are helping with that too.

But, they are not for this airplane.
    Thanks Eddie Foy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t have any closeups. Seller is not answering my emails.

Name:	7E90AC32-FF32-4D8F-95A7-C10165D7051E.jpeg 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	33968

Name:	16EC91CF-9975-42DB-9CC1-D6ACE68FD50E.jpeg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	33969

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    If those are the old 180 straight taper gear legs, and the Pponk "beef up" was installed over them, installing later gear will necessitate removal of the Pponk beef up.

Are there close up photos of the brake caliper area available? I am fairly convinced those look like the old legs to me.

I like the old legs on my airplane even at 2950 Gross. Nice and Soft. At lighter flying weights I am doing some pretty awesome tundra ops. The Desser 31's are helping with that too.

But, they are not for this airplane.
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 12-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Thanks Dave Calkins thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That gear should tilt forward a little, almost parallel with the forward door post. It may be perspective but the sale plane does appear too vertical, like older gear was.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by stewartb; 12-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it, the late gear have a six digit serial number.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. on the -5, 6, -7 and -8 the gear comes out angled forward and down to the axle approx 2-3″ as compared to the -1 &-2, also referred to as wheels forward.

http://thelandinggearworks.com/main-...identification
    Last edited by stewartb; 12-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The gear is on backwards the legs have a slight sweep forwards I noticed that two they need to be switched right to left and Mack sure it’s got the toe in set proper

Post Thanks / Like
    Proper toe in is a big deal! Did I say BIG as in VERY BIG? Yep, often over looked, turns a 180/185 into a monster if not correct. Maintenance manual explains how to check it.

Kurt
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got this. Gear replaced. Part numbers are for late gear. Is it possible to put them on the wrong sides?

Name:	83231C6E-F586-49A6-82E6-5D38592F1C58.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	33974

Post Thanks / Like
    Under 1500 hours will sell that plane. That's a powerful aphrodesiac.
    Last edited by stewartb; 12-08-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eddie Foy;702860] Is it possible to put them on the wrong sides?

sure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Attached files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Proper toe in is a big deal! Did I say BIG as in VERY BIG? Yep, often over looked, turns a 180/185 into a monster if not correct.

Kurt
    I come measure and make you a perfect set of shims in ONE shot/measurement(even measure and can compensate for bent gear legs and bent gear boxes..)... you can too if you have a mill to cut them.. and make my jig to cut shims...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1oSPijbAAyJ7B7fs1

Post Thanks / Like
    Th owner stated that originally there was a problem with the gear alignment that made it treacherous. It was fixed but I don’t know how at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing on that or any plane can't be fixed. The question is about the value as is and who pays to fix airworthiness items.

No offense intended, but a guy trying to buy a plane might should stop being a marketing beacon for airplanes he's considering. It's fun for some of us to talk about but you're advertising this plane to other buyers on a big platform.
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t buy this plane. It’s junk!

Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Nothing on that or any plane can't be fixed. The question is about the value as is and who pays to fix airworthiness items.

No offense intended, but a guy trying to buy a plane might should stop being a marketing beacon for airplanes he's considering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Th owner stated that originally there was a problem with the gear alignment that made it treacherous. It was fixed but I don’t know how at this point.
    the Cessna service instructions(and MOST ANY SERVICE MANUALS) make assumptions in their directions of things being factory new, square and aligned....and virgins ... well, we know better, and have to make adjustments to make those instructions to make them behave as unwrecked virgins again...

Post Thanks / Like
    They probably followed the maintenance manual and installed the proper shims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes mike mcs repair, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The paper work looks good. It appears from what we've seen that they did a god job with the repairs. It is not mentioned whether the wing was placed in a fixture or not. IF not it COULD be not straight. This MAY only be learned during a flight test. I discovered a crooked fuselage once that looked as though it had been repaired correctly. It flew crooked, the buyer sent it back and we don't know where it is now. The pictures make this airplane look very nice and it is certainly worth going to look at it.

It is possible that the reason that we think that there is something wrong with the gear is because it has 6:00-6 tires. It handles a lot better with 8:00-6s.

Go look at it Eddie, fly it with the owner. Check if there is any wing heaviness and whether this changes over the entire speed range up to Vne. Push it on a concrete floor, watch the tires. Do they track straight? Do they pinch together going forward or backward?

It is also a 1977 model year which is the last year that they were built with a 12 volt electrical system, which is my preference.
    N1PA
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Find out what the age of the fuel bladders is. If they are still the originals, they will need replacing soon. This is 10 hours of labor per tank.
    N1PA