• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Plane Kit

If those are the old 180 straight taper gear legs, and the Pponk "beef up" was installed over them, installing later gear will necessitate removal of the Pponk beef up.

Are there close up photos of the brake caliper area available? I am fairly convinced those look like the old legs to me.

I like the old legs on my airplane even at 2950 Gross. Nice and Soft. At lighter flying weights I am doing some pretty awesome tundra ops. The Desser 31's are helping with that too.

But, they are not for this airplane.

Don’t have any closeups. Seller is not answering my emails.

7E90AC32-FF32-4D8F-95A7-C10165D7051E.jpeg

16EC91CF-9975-42DB-9CC1-D6ACE68FD50E.jpeg

If those are the old 180 straight taper gear legs, and the Pponk "beef up" was installed over them, installing later gear will necessitate removal of the Pponk beef up.

Are there close up photos of the brake caliper area available? I am fairly convinced those look like the old legs to me.

I like the old legs on my airplane even at 2950 Gross. Nice and Soft. At lighter flying weights I am doing some pretty awesome tundra ops. The Desser 31's are helping with that too.

But, they are not for this airplane.

Attachments

• 7E90AC32-FF32-4D8F-95A7-C10165D7051E.jpeg
    7E90AC32-FF32-4D8F-95A7-C10165D7051E.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 16EC91CF-9975-42DB-9CC1-D6ACE68FD50E.jpeg
    16EC91CF-9975-42DB-9CC1-D6ACE68FD50E.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
That gear should tilt forward a little, almost parallel with the forward door post. It may be perspective but the sale plane does appear too vertical, like older gear was.

452d3f467a9734f8c926eaaaac78fa4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
The gear is on backwards the legs have a slight sweep forwards I noticed that two they need to be switched right to left and Mack sure it’s got the toe in set proper

Proper toe in is a big deal! Did I say BIG as in VERY BIG? Yep, often over looked, turns a 180/185 into a monster if not correct. Maintenance manual explains how to check it.

Kurt

Just got this. Gear replaced. Part numbers are for late gear. Is it possible to put them on the wrong sides?

83231C6E-F586-49A6-82E6-5D38592F1C58.png

Attachments

• 83231C6E-F586-49A6-82E6-5D38592F1C58.png
    83231C6E-F586-49A6-82E6-5D38592F1C58.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 179
Attached files

Attachments

• airframeLogbook entry-1.doc
    229 KB · Views: 554
  • N64382 Repair - 337s.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
Proper toe in is a big deal! Did I say BIG as in VERY BIG? Yep, often over looked, turns a 180/185 into a monster if not correct.

Kurt

I come measure and make you a perfect set of shims in ONE shot/measurement(even measure and can compensate for bent gear legs and bent gear boxes..)... you can too if you have a mill to cut them.. and make my jig to cut shims...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1oSPijbAAyJ7B7fs1

Last edited:
Th owner stated that originally there was a problem with the gear alignment that made it treacherous. It was fixed but I don’t know how at this point.

Nothing on that or any plane can't be fixed. The question is about the value as is and who pays to fix airworthiness items.

No offense intended, but a guy trying to buy a plane might should stop being a marketing beacon for airplanes he's considering. It's fun for some of us to talk about but you're advertising this plane to other buyers on a big platform.

Don’t buy this plane. It’s junk!
8)

Nothing on that or any plane can't be fixed. The question is about the value as is and who pays to fix airworthiness items.

No offense intended, but a guy trying to buy a plane might should stop being a marketing beacon for airplanes he's considering.

Th owner stated that originally there was a problem with the gear alignment that made it treacherous. It was fixed but I don’t know how at this point.

the Cessna service instructions(and MOST ANY SERVICE MANUALS) make assumptions in their directions of things being factory new, square and aligned....and virgins ... well, we know better, and have to make adjustments to make those instructions to make them behave as unwrecked virgins again...

They probably followed the maintenance manual and installed the proper shims.

The paper work looks good. It appears from what we've seen that they did a god job with the repairs. It is not mentioned whether the wing was placed in a fixture or not. IF not it COULD be not straight. This MAY only be learned during a flight test. I discovered a crooked fuselage once that looked as though it had been repaired correctly. It flew crooked, the buyer sent it back and we don't know where it is now. The pictures make this airplane look very nice and it is certainly worth going to look at it.

It is possible that the reason that we think that there is something wrong with the gear is because it has 6:00-6 tires. It handles a lot better with 8:00-6s.

Go look at it Eddie, fly it with the owner. Check if there is any wing heaviness and whether this changes over the entire speed range up to Vne. Push it on a concrete floor, watch the tires. Do they track straight? Do they pinch together going forward or backward?

It is also a 1977 model year which is the last year that they were built with a 12 volt electrical system, which is my preference.

Find out what the age of the fuel bladders is. If they are still the originals, they will need replacing soon. This is 10 hours of labor per tank.

If the gear is on backwards, wouldn’t the dimples for the break line clips be on the front, or was the dimples only for the early models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywagon8a hit most of the easy to find things . They roll a little heavy but when out of alignment the roll hard. The tires will make noise when rolling around. My 185 was way out and you had to start TO roll with full right peddle or you would be off the side. It's a full day to get it straight.
Fuel bladders, ahhhh what a fun job,lol, they are a time life type item. If the haven't been changed in 15 years they are probably getting ready. Look for faint blue fuel streaking on the trailing edge of the wings and along the fuselage at the attach areas. Side note new ones come with bandaids for the installer.
Sent a PM

You have a sick sense of fun. My arms are just short enough I can’t reach the back corners. With vg’s installed it’s a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the legs are fine. I looked at pictures of my 180 from the same angle and they do look like they slope back, Picture from the front makes them look right. Sounds like a nice plane. The one thing that we can not change is our expiration date!! Don't know when it will be but when it comes they can sell the plane to buy your coffin so don't worry about adding a little extra money after you buy it. Go fly it if the smile is right buy it.
DENNY

Dave,
Don't know if it will happen. I was all ready to go see it on the 19th. The owner then informed me that he had promised "first right of refusal" to another interested buyer. The other guy was supposed to come see it on the 18th.

Don't know if I will carry forward. This guy has had this plane for sale off and on since 2011. I don't think he is serious.

Logbook entry shows incorrect or at least incomplete p/n's for the gear legs--
should be 0741001-7 (LH) and -8 (RH).
Those are the correct legs for 1964 G model and up,
aka "185 gear legs".
The angle of the legs does look weird.
Never seen a set of gear legs installed backwards but maybe?

The later-model ("wheels forward") gear legs are a popular mod for early 180's (mine has them),
I can't imagine why anyone would install the early ("wheels aft") gear on a later model except by mistake.
FWIW the farther ahead of the CG the mains are, the easier to groundloop.
So in that regard, the early legs would be a good thing....except for their nose-over tendencies.
I'm kinda thinking that's why Cessna changed to the first of the wheels-forward gear legs in 1955.
Use of the slightly heavier J engine starting mid-1954 may have prompted that.

Last edited:
When I was researching mine, the guys at the Cessna archive unit told me that some 180’s came with no zinc chromate inside parts of the wing, but had float kits nonetheless.
Dont forget the vertical tubes on the engine mount.

J
Zinc chromate on the inside of the skins (inside wings, under interior, on the skins behind the aft bulkhead curtain). Stainless steel control cables. Doublers on the skins under the aft door posts. Vee brace may or may not be installed. Probably overlooking some other identifiers. If it's been on floats you'll see bolt holes where the aft float fittings would have been (they may have been filled but they usually show). If the plane has the factory equipment list it'll be listed there.

Some guys put the seaplane mount on land planes for the extra support, so it is not a definitive reason to say it has the kit.

Back