• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Plane Kit

Zinc chromate on the inside of the skins (inside wings, under interior, on the skins behind the aft bulkhead curtain). Stainless steel control cables. Doublers on the skins under the aft door posts. Vee brace may or may not be installed. Probably overlooking some other identifiers. If it's been on floats you'll see bolt holes where the aft float fittings would have been (they may have been filled but they usually show). If the plane has the factory equipment list it'll be listed there.

Can you tell from this photo? It has a vee brace above the glare shield. 77 180K

B851546A-1D2D-4AF7-81E9-BCCF3E6FB0CF.jpg

Attachments

• B851546A-1D2D-4AF7-81E9-BCCF3E6FB0CF.jpg
    B851546A-1D2D-4AF7-81E9-BCCF3E6FB0CF.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 323
The big dorsal was part of the factory float kit on J and K models. You should also have a rudder centering system in there.

Picture of the entire door, and skin in front of the door please. I am not as adept as others to tell.

also look at rear spar, near fuselage attach and out a foot or 2 for deformations in spar if it ground looped and hit wing.... common damage...

Can you tell from this photo? It has a vee brace above the glare shield. 77 180K

View attachment 33935
Also on the doubler about a foot behind the repaired bottom skin you can see the factory installed bolt holes for the rear float fittings. This one has never been on floats since there are only two holes. It should have the V brace which came with it which may or not have been installed at the factory. Installation was a factory option. On those which were not installed the parts were stowed in the plane upon delivery.

That big tail makes it eligible for Kenmore's 3190# gross weight mod. It's a simple STC that'll make it a 1400# (approx) useful load airplane. I presume it weighs around 1800#?

also look at rear spar, near fuselage attach and out a foot or 2 for deformations in spar if it ground looped and hit wing.... common damage...

It got the right wing.
EOW 1863 Full IFR and autopilot, -50 engine
Pics are post repair and pre paint.
B35A7CF5-65B9-4187-A096-BE2B80EED01B.jpeg
90EAE8A0-1D5E-489D-94BE-D5E0A51DA109.jpeg

Attachments

• B35A7CF5-65B9-4187-A096-BE2B80EED01B.jpeg
    B35A7CF5-65B9-4187-A096-BE2B80EED01B.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 90EAE8A0-1D5E-489D-94BE-D5E0A51DA109.jpeg
    90EAE8A0-1D5E-489D-94BE-D5E0A51DA109.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Definitely get a mechanic YOU trust to look it over closely. There's nothing wrong with damage history that's been repaired well, but you need a guy familiar enough with Cessnas to be able to give it a stamp of approval that you're willing to bank on.

Who's gonna paint it? Seller or buyer?

That is not a LIGHT plane, nor will it feel like a sports car.

That is a heavy hauler, will perform ok, treat you well. If you are looking for a short strip plane, one that you can dance with like the cub, that is not it.

Those girls are a truck plain and simple. Load it up and go. But you will need arm strength to fly her.

Eddie, yes that same plane was mentioned as being for sale with fresh paint on this site back in 2011. Has it been painted again recently?

Eddie, yes that same plane was mentioned as being for sale with fresh paint on this site back in 2011. Has it been painted again recently?
No. I read that thread. Think the seller priced it way too high initially. He is asking $120K now.

Define short strip

That is a heavy hauler, will perform ok, treat you well. If you are looking for a short strip plane, one that you can dance with like the cub, that is not it.

Those girls are a truck plain and simple. Load it up and go. But you will need arm strength to fly her.

I beg to differ
66 model with a -50 86” pponk high 1800’s empty. Sportsman and vg’s its a performer. Must not have been built on a Friday.

https://youtu.be/SNWT4ys6fC0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MomaqleOgIs

https://youtu.be/d0rqKDKspdg

2bbbb33dfb0adea6a208e85f21b23482.jpg

Roughly 400 ft. My first taxiway to the south, landing over the trees is 500 ft and he routinely turns off without killing himself. Granted the trees are probably 30-40ft tall but still. Not many cubs that come in here are doing that. It’s all about the guy behind the controls.

Put the same talent behind any of the 50's models, then compare. Also I bet the early models are much lighter on the controls.

Maybe it performs just fine, but compared to others?

You still have to stop that much weight, so you are heavy on brakes all the time to stop short. Weight is energy, carrying an extra 150-200 lbs on every take off and landing has a toll.

Will it fit the mission? That is for a buyer to decide, but knowing what you are getting is important ahead of time.

With the right prop, good brakes, big tires, and a couple of hundred hours of practice that plane should do fine in and out using 500' at mid weights. Does "using" 500' mean a 500' strip with no runout? Probably not. Will it feel heavy? Mine doesn't unless it's loaded heavy. Late model Skywagons are great airplanes.

With the right prop, good brakes, big tires, and a couple of hundred hours of practice that plane should do fine in and out using 500' at mid weights. Does "using" 500' mean a 500' strip with no runout? Probably not. Will it feel heavy? Mine doesn't unless it's loaded heavy. Late model Skywagons are great airplanes.

The video on the beach was about 500 with the ocean as overrun

Back