• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skis on, need snow.

All compounded because you need to keep the tail high enough to keep the drag off the TW or tail ski. So down the lake you go trying to build some speed but with the tail high you don't have any AOA so it doesn't get any better and your only hope is the skis hydroplaning up out of the water and slush.

Glenn

Yes AOA or the lack thereof is a factor. Snow depth varied from 1-3' and slush usually to the top of boots. Once we dig a trench on landing and stop adjacent water comes a runnin' to see what all the fuss is about and fills any void. It's then shovel and snowshoe time on occasion.

I had tail skis on the Citabria and PA-18A that was used for this trapping purpose and they help float that back end some. But the big factor was longer landing gear...Scout gear and a STOL kit on the Champ and 3" Cub gear with VG's on the other. That offered some more AOA but still low lift but helped keep the water off the prop. If the prop gets wet it's tea and cookie time plus lots of scraping ice. A tall ski pedestal helps as well...but wide skis can slow down the trenching process if they don't float the plane on top. I had an 80" C/S prop on the 150 Champ and an 80/40 Mac on the Cub which is essential. A good roll-up of the ski tip is better than flatter in climbing up. Federals and Aero's do good there.

Today I'd use a set of those double slotted flaps and 160 or more hp. Or just come back later when all the excitement has frozen.

Gary

I was watching the wind blow waves in the water that's sitting on top of the ice at Lake Hood today. A different kind of overflow.

Finally starting to look like winter around here. Stillwater Res webcam

webcam.jpg

Glenn

Got enough snow and ice here to start putting the ski strip in at the hangar...

IMG_3760.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3760.JPG
    IMG_3760.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 184
Close to +40 in Fairbanks and melting. When it's warm here the cold and snow go southeast in search welcoming committees. Going to be like this for a few weeks so get your skis on.

Gary

It's in the 40s in Anchorage and is supposed to stay that way for several days. Alaskans need ice before snow and what we had of either is melting. I have no desire to put skis on for this.

I got some good ski flying in the last two weeks of November. Haven't been out since December 3, nor do I plan to until we get some cold to set things up. There is a good snow cover and base out west, it will be really good once it gets cold and can heal things up. Right now its overflow-city.

Leaving for winter storage?!! Shame on him living in Maine and not having a pair of skis. Sell a weapon, buy Skis JP!

I've got a pair of old Rossignols that would probably work for your weight. [emoji472] no payment needed, just get video of them flying on your -11.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Not entirely accurate on my part, I need the Hangar space to store the snow fighting squadron he is going to the big hangar in Dexter. I will let him talk about skis, I know he had some ,actually he has it all, a nice Cub special, a smoking hot wife, high powered legal career, and rugged good looks. He is the man
jim

Jim I know you're too humble to say it, so let me finish that thought for you. He also has a great friend. [emoji106] so obviously you are right, he does have it all.

Merry Christmas,
Peter

Leaving for winter storage?!! Shame on him living in Maine and not having a pair of skis. Sell a weapon, buy Skis JP!

I've got a pair of old Rossignols that would probably work for your weight. [emoji472] no payment needed, just get video of them flying on your -11.

Roger Bates a local legend around central NY who owned over 100 airplanes in his life,40 of those being Vagabonds, used water skis for quite a few years when he was younger. Died a few years ago at 96 and still had 5 planes flying, 2 Vags, skyranger, Kitfox and a 51 Pacer still wearing the original cotton that Piper sent it out the door in.

Glenn

Want some... $#(*$%^((*^(*#%(*^(*)!!!

Attachments

• snowjan82014 014.jpg
    snowjan82014 014.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 159
492A4280-1918-43BF-A4B1-6ECC31908DF6.jpeg

All dressed up with not too many places to go. Yet anyway.

Hoping for for a winter like last year. Put the skis on today and made a few landings.

Attachments

• 492A4280-1918-43BF-A4B1-6ECC31908DF6.jpeg
    492A4280-1918-43BF-A4B1-6ECC31908DF6.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 225
Dan,

im betting you got some snow today....five to six inches in BZN today. Looks like winter.

MTV

106f71b6532edb13019f5f39140f9f74.jpg

While I was down south my 12” of snow kinda shrunk from the warm temps and rain. But still enough for me to fly tomorrow. Not sure if there is anywhere to go but at least I’ll get off the earth for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly to Fairbanks. It's snowing and 3-6" more coming this week. No daylight but who needs that with good LED headlights?

Gary

Pete, about 100 miles NW of me. It on the East end of Lk Ontario and they get dumped on till the lake freezes over. Nothing for them to get 4' a day. Scott Revoir (NC2252M) here lives a few miles South of there and they don't get as much snow, only about 300" :lol: That area gets it when it's a SW, W, NW or North wind. We get Lk effect when its NW or North winds. It's been snowing here for a month but didn't have any Frost in the ground.

Glenn

Last edited:
We got around 3 feet this week, it has settled down to about one and half, now we need the lakes up north to freeze up and let the fun begin. I went snowmobiling Friday up on tug hill, just east of Lake Ontario and there was some spots with a fresh 5 feet. Hopefully the lakes up north build ice before they get hit hard with snow. Scott...

Dan,

im betting you got some snow today....five to six inches in BZN today. Looks like winter.

MTV

No we got ours the day before, Friday. And not as much as you. But I like the forecast that came out today. A 3-day winter storm warning and then some nice below zero temps that should freeze the open water. 😀 I’m a ready.

View attachment 34106

All dressed up with not too many places to go. Yet anyway.

Hoping for for a winter like last year. Put the skis on today and made a few landings.

A week of winter storms and then some nice negative temperatures and Great ski flying now.

2B60C7FB-B568-46FC-A3EA-16EBA8452F86.jpeg

Plenty of powder. 😀

Attachments

• 2B60C7FB-B568-46FC-A3EA-16EBA8452F86.jpeg
    2B60C7FB-B568-46FC-A3EA-16EBA8452F86.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 151
Jim I know you're too humble to say it, so let me finish that thought for you. He also has a great friend. [emoji106] so obviously you are right, he does have it all.

Merry Christmas,
Peter

Jeez, guys.....there's something in my eye. A guy couldn't ask for more in life for sure.

Back