• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Therapy Project

Regrouping and pressing on

February came and went.

My wife recovered from Covid after a day. But her underlying illness was too much. I tended to her as she was bedridden: hydrating, feeding, cleaning. She got progressively weaker. The doctor ordered hospice care.

But she went too quickly for all that. The night of February 14 she passed away peacefully. I was sitting with her singing her favorite hymns and psalms. She almost tried to hum.

My companion of 30 years, law partner, fishing partner, best friend, went home.

The remaining couple of weeks were occupied, as to be expected.

The spruce spar came early in February. I didn't open it up until a couple days ago. The grain is slightly wavy, but within specs. I layed it out yesterday and measured things.

Then I took down some ribs and started on the project again. Therapy Project now has a new meaning.

IMG-5173.jpg

IMG-5177.jpg

IMG-5181.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-5173.jpg
    IMG-5173.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG-5177.jpg
    IMG-5177.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG-5181.jpg
    IMG-5181.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 88
My sincere condolences, RV. Now it’s even more of a Therapy Project for you. Take care.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Very sorry Vic, I know you have been taking care of her for a while.................... You have a lot of friends here, we're all here for you brother

Vic,
If I can be of any help please let me know. My 2+2 project is a little further along than yours. You are certainly welcome to come for a look see at any time.
Jim

Vic,
If I can be of any help please let me know. My 2+2 project is a little further along than yours. You are certainly welcome to come for a look see at any time.
Jim

That sounds inviting, Jim. I've been thinking of hopping over to Bozeman this Spring. My Commonwealth is in annual limbo, but I hope they can get her fit in this month.

Very sad for your loss Vic, I hold that fear as we age for my wife who still smokes cigs and has for the near 45years we have known each other. I expect true productivity will for some time be frustrating to achieve,

Wing plodding

Plugging along on impulse power and waiting for more tubing. I thought I'd have some 1/2" chrome moly laying around to finish the N-brace, but not long enough. I also thought about splicing--no, I ordered a full 3 foot piece instead.

Wicks out of stock. Aircraft Spruce was expensive. Wag had some. Also ordered more hardware looking down the road at installing aileron and flap pulleys.

Almost all the ribs are fabricated. I also made the compression struts. I improved the jig and have them all square and the same length.

IMG-5221.jpg
IMG-5225.jpg
IMG-5251.jpg
IMG-5254.jpg

Things are warming up and it's nice to work without a heater.

Attachments

• IMG-5221.jpg
    IMG-5221.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-5225.jpg
    IMG-5225.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-5251.jpg
    IMG-5251.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-5254.jpg
    IMG-5254.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 68
Quick update. Wag aero just called and said no 4130 tubing available. Same for Wicks.

Supply chain troubles.

Yeah Wag has been out for longer than they admit on the small wall tubing. Comparatively Spruces pricing I find better than most other sources on tubing, but they too now have much out of stock.
If you want expensive buy tubing from McMaster carr. But they do have a number of shorter lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

True confessions

It is hard to believe 11 months have passed since my last post. I want to thank a certain
SC member for getting me tubing for completing the N-brace. I won't name him because he seemed to want to be anonymous, but I really appreciate him sending me tubing at cost of freight.

But then I hit a wall.

It is hard to describe, but I had lost the zeal of everything. I figured it would take a while. I actually closed up my solo law firm to take care of my wife, and I never saw a great desire to start up again.

But I'm not totally out of commission, just in an extended regroup phase. I'm occupied by demands from my church, which ordained me as a pastor 3 years ago. The point is that I'm not adrift, but financially I'm in a different circumstance from my trial lawyer days.

And, to add to my distractions, last October I discovered that the car my Dad taught me to drive, and the first car I owned after restoring her in high school, was available for sale. I didn't think twice. I bought my old 38 Buick Special from a fellow in Lincoln MT and hauled her home.

So, another project. I am in the process of painting her and replacing windows. She runs fine. I've driven her around a bit. I'm basically happy to have a vehicle that does not depend upon computers to run.

Which reminds me of my 1946 Commonwealth. I fly her too. But the toe-in on her landing gear makes every paved landing a minor rodeo. I do it, but I really want to fix the significant tendency to tuck under as soon as she touches the runway.

On grass there is no issue.

So, I felt convicted about not updating. As soon as I get the Buick painted, I hope to get back to finishing the wings. Some day, maybe I will find an engine for my 2+2. BTW, the mission has change from fun trips with my wife to solo fishing trips. I may make it a tandem yet.

IMG-5713.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-5713.jpg
    IMG-5713.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 65
Living with change RV...you have our support - just speaking for myself and others. Rivers cut new channels and despite the challenge we drift and flow with the current as best we can. My grandparents had Buicks. 1950's Straight-8's were a way for protecting the ladies that drove from harm do to themselves. One had exhaust ports on the hood which was a sign of power and performance. Report when you can after your quiet times and hopefully a resolve.

Gary

Then my UPS delivery came. I spent some time pondering how to make the jackscrew bracket assembly. The plans simply said to buy it, but I had trouble finding it online. So I went with trying to fabricate it. I couldn't have even begun without Northland drawings and Christian Sturm's drawing website.

Hi vic glad to see you are soon going to be back at it, I to am going to try and get back at mine, I had every intention of cutting and welding this weekend but I ended up with stitches in my index finger yesterday, so today has been a research and planning kinda day.

where in the northland drawings is the jackscrew tower ? I cant for the life of me find anymore then the measurement of it to the tailpost or rear horizontal stab bracket. if you remember the drawing number that would be great!

Thank you! 12183 was what I was looking for. it and NL 20491 should get me where I'm going, I have a bigger vertical then the plans called for so I have to modify the tower anyways.

Back