• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Middle seat channel.

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
Hi guys. Similar to where I was ten years ago with the Cub and dumb questions.

In the C180J, I'm instaling new carpet supplied by the previous owner. SCS interiors, and the fit and look is fantastic, which I find amazing considering it was ordered over the internet.

In the 4 place setup, the rear attach points for the rear seat sits on this beefy channel shown here. It's revetted U shaped and sat on top of the old carpet.

Apart from increasing the bearing surface slightly of the rear two attach points, I can't see it does anything. So I'm thinking of ditching it.

Any reason not to?

Texmex.

Shown here on the hangar floor.

IMG_3291.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 139
Probably to support your seat legs on crushable carpet. My 180J had original vinyl flooring and the strips were flat aluminum with eased edges (not a channel). They helped keep the vinyl in place but weren't necessary when I changed flooring so I pitched them.

Last edited:
Well, I should look in the parts book since I have never seen that before. Or maybe I am too young. Or too old.

IMG_4873.JPG

Puzzled answered.

Apparently a C172 backseat (now I guess it would be called a middlerow seat) was put in my C180J as it was easier to remove when needed and the U channel was put in there to give the floor in that area some strength. I don't have a major issue with this idea, however I'd like the frame six inches behind it to be bearing the weight.

I don't have a need to be regularly removing seats so I'm thinking going back to the original.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to purchase the middle row seats with the common base and individually adjustable backs for a C180?

Thanks.
Texmex.

Attachments

• IMG_4873.JPG
    IMG_4873.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 139
My 76 180J has four studs on the floor that the middle seat legs clip to (factory original). Removing/installing takes less than a minute. I can't imagine anything easier other than Dodge type stow-able seats.

Back