• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky at a super cub party

Thanks Stewart, Starr/Whitewings Aircraft is making it light as possible. The Airglas guys do nice work. Doing the nosebowl now. Starr is putting the carbon fiber instrument panel on the cub next! Eliminating all the individual gauges to clean it up, will similar to Husky panel.
John

Oh one more...

517026e4a055290de432fef4.jpg

I really wanted to go to that fly-in but just a bit too far for me, about 5 hours one way. That would have made it 7 Husky's.

Kurt

She's actually the one that put it in the plane. I got a keeper. ��

Last edited:
Oh the flap hinges. Holy smokes. I’m
Used to ducking enough to clear the wing. I’ve had a husky tune me up good. My head still hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to ducking enough to clear the wing. I’ve had a husky tune me up good. My head still hurts.
Those and the shovels on the ailerons. :evil: I wonder how many Huskys have been wrecked by the shovels snagging on the bushes? Sort of like landing in too tall grass only sideways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance STOL flap hinges will send you to the ground in excruciating amount of pain.

Those and the shovels on the ailerons. :evil: I wonder how many Huskys have been wrecked by the shovels snagging on the bushes? Sort of like landing in too tall grass only sideways?

If one hits something with the spade you are probably in deep trouble already, almost impossible to hit anything with them, other than someone head when walking under the wing!
Newer Husky's eliminated them in about 2009. Flaps are longer, ailerons are deeper and narrower.
The custom spades on the one Husky I have are airfoils that just give one power steering, very light touch on ailerons.
John

Reactions: KEB
John,

The “new wing” Husky was introduced in 2005. It was a great improvement, and not just due to the elimination of the “airodynamic counterbalances”.....

MTV

Mike, you are correct, I was thinking of the bigger door, think that changed in 2009. For those interested, the newest wing is called the C wing, no spades, believe as Mike said that came in 2005 range. I had a late B model Husky that had the C wing, 2007. May be just the C model which is the latest model out is higher gross, not change in wing.
Mike, correct me if I am off.
And the trim system no longer has the spring to fight with elevator movement, eliminated in 2018 models with trim tab on elevator. Now feels more like a cub, other than flaps and attitude has to be flown differently than cub to get the best performance. If you raise the tail on takeoff run in Husky you went too far, three point takeoff just elevates the plane.
John

Last edited:
Please explain that a little more John. I’ve never had a chance to fly a husky.
A Husky has fowler type flaps that create lift, not like a stock cub with just drag type flaps. When landing or taking off in Husky one does not need to raise the tail, just back pressure on stick and it levitates at three point attitude, bigger the tires the better for higher angle of attack. On landing one has to get in a nose high attitude as if you head toward the landing spot with nose down the Husky goes well past the spot as flaps have so much lift, not much drag. Cub flaps just drag so one can point pretty much at the landing spot. Of course a cub with the Airframes/Keller flaps is more like a Husky, but with more level attitude, does not require nose up to slow. Keller flpas give more lift and drag at more level attitude as they go down so far at full. Cubs do fly a bit slower than a Husky at the low end, especially with the Keller flaps.
Hope this makes sense. And if flying an older Husky one has to fight the spring pressure on the stick and continually trim, hard to overcome the pressure at higher nose up, where a cub has light forces on stick, trim not as critical. New Husky is similar to cub as it has trim tab now, no spring to fight.
John

Thanks! Great explanation. I’ve been told it’s more work to make a husky do what a cub does, however, you get there faster.

Thanks! Great explanation. I’ve been told it’s more work to make a husky do what a cub does, however, you get there faster.

The big issue on a Husky is the empty weight, they are too heavy these days. If one does big mods they can get down to about 1300lbs, but cub is still lighter, so flies slower. Good thing is Husky is fast, newer one i just bought goes about 125mph, cub cannot compete there. And to me the Husky is just a stronger built machine, feels better for longer trips. Shortfield cub usually wins but my lightweight one can hold it own with a cub.

Mike, you are correct, I was thinking of the bigger door, think that changed in 2009. For those interested, the newest wing is called the C wing, no spades, believe as Mike said that came in 2005 range. I had a late B model Husky that had the C wing, 2007. May be just the C model which is the latest model out is higher gross, not change in wing.
Mike, correct me if I am off.
And the trim system no longer has the spring to fight with elevator movement, eliminated in 2018 models with trim tab on elevator. Now feels more like a cub, other than flaps and attitude has to be flown differently than cub to get the best performance. If you raise the tail on takeoff run in Husky you went too far, three point takeoff just elevates the plane.
John

John,

Yes, all 2005 model Huskys have the new wing, but all were A-1Bs. All Bs had a gross weight of 2000.

The C model started in 2007 or 2008ish, not sure. That airplane has a different angle of incidence of the horizontal tail, I believe, and other mods to take gross weight to 2250.

There is a mod available for all “new wing” B models (post 2005) that takes their gross weight to 2200.

I flew the first production B for a few years. It was a really light example, at 1250 on 8.50 tires. Then we made it heavier.....Still a Great performer.

MTV

MTV

Keep in mind, if the airplane is faster and more efficient then your MPG is better which means less fuel needed for the mission. Less fuel required means less fuel carried which means less weight. So taking this into account that partially offsets the higher empty weight of the Husky.

Kurt

Really handy to have 50 gallons usable at 125 MPH. Spring trim was always a problem, but then again if you don't have double pulleys on any Piper model (like a stock -12) then that's trouble as well, as is the old jack screw - Dakota replacement way better, but nuthin but nothin' is for free. You can get an older Husky for 110k with 180 HP, 50 gallons fuel, CS Prop, double puck Clevelands, relatively late model airframe - you'll never find that in an 18 for that money. Still a Cub is prettier and flies nicer.:lol:

I have NO issue with the Husky trim system, works great, simple, reliable. I don't get why people complain about it. I have had more issues with the trim systems in other airplanes I have owned than I have had in the 2 Husky’s I have owned. YMMV.

Kurt

Reactions: KEB
Back