• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cubcrafters Unveils New Carbon Cubs: EX-3 and FX-3

I still would rather have a 940lb Carbon Cub on 31s. Has anyone ever stuck a cruise Catto on one to see how fast it would cruise? Might just need 2 props for all missions?

Glenn

I have one in the hanger now. It hurts his take-off considerably. 130 mph with 78x54 Catto.

Steve, Do you mind expanding on the 'considerably' comment. I am seriously interested in how much distance it takes on average over the climb configured prop. Double the distance, triple? Might be worth it for someone traveling on a long cross country to bring a 'play' prop along and use the speed prop for the trip. Thanks!

Steve, Do you mind expanding on the 'considerably' comment. I am seriously interested in how much distance it takes on average over the climb configured prop. Double the distance, triple? Might be worth it for someone traveling on a long cross country to bring a 'play' prop along and use the speed prop for the trip. Thanks!

I don't really know. It was noticeable having flown with him quite a bit.

I have one in the hanger now. It hurts his take-off considerably. 130 mph with 78x54 Catto.

Does it get anywhere near redline, can you go fatter then 54?
If you had a Catto traveling prop that gave you 130+ and a performance prop and both are light and a transport case, a 1500 mile trip would be close in time to either a Xcub or FX3 ? And when you got to the playground a half hour later you got your hotrod back.

Glenn

I don't know. I don't fly it. I go 90-95 mph in my Super Cub and enjoy the flight. Picked my daughter up from college last week, 2:20 up and 1:36 back. We had a blast.

I don't know. I don't fly it. I go 90-95 mph in my Super Cub and enjoy the flight. Picked my daughter up from college last week, 2:20 up and 1:36 back. We had a blast.

Me too, I'm a window shopper, if I see something that perks my interest I go check it out. I rarely fly a straight line.
Not the speed that counts it's the journey

Glenn

Me too, I'm a window shopper, if I see something that perks my interest I go check it out. I rarely fly a straight line.
Not the speed that counts it's the journey

Glenn
I took her back to school Sunday morning. We had to climb over PowerLine the whole way back. We would see a coyote and chase him till he rolled over or made the brush. Had chased a lot of pigs but never through cotton fields. What a hoot. They can run fast down the rows but when you turn them across the rows cotton goes everywhere. We had a blast and made some great memories for sure. Saw some amazing countryside not many others get to see.

Does it get anywhere near redline, can you go fatter then 54?
If you had a Catto traveling prop that gave you 130+ and a performance prop and both are light and a transport case, a 1500 mile trip would be close in time to either a Xcub or FX3 ? And when you got to the playground a half hour later you got your hotrod back.

Glenn

A ground adjustable might give you the same without the extra weight to carry around.

I still would rather have a 940lb Carbon Cub on 31s. Has anyone ever stuck a cruise Catto on one to see how fast it would cruise? Might just need 2 props for all missions?

Glenn

I have a 80x54 Catto. It goes 135mph at 2700. (14gal/hr @ 4500msl) I usually cruise around 95 at 5gal/hr when leaned out. With the Earth X my Gwt is 950#. (G3x 10”, extended baggage and fuel, lights, 8.5s, stock seats, 3” 18 gear,18 tail feathers. Takeoffs solo are around 60’ at 80F & 1000msl with full fuel (44gal)
fabbda3eb1c7d1a6580b8fbc2dae1292.jpg

104mph 6gal/hr 2200rpm @2000msl in the photo.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I flew it. Had to remember how to use toe brakes and a constant speed. Leaps off the ground with two people and 1/2 fuel. Much more nimble on the roll rate. Stick is quite a bit longer. Just mushes a bit at 40 mph indicated. Like the overhead flap handle.

Can’t quite wrap my head around the price though.

35F04374-989D-4C5C-910D-8AF1964FAF24.jpeg

Attachments

• 35F04374-989D-4C5C-910D-8AF1964FAF24.jpeg
    35F04374-989D-4C5C-910D-8AF1964FAF24.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 489
FX3 will be in Saratoga, NY. 5B2. Sat/Sun 12/2. & 12/3. Join us! Demo Flights gone WILD!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

N363EX is a nicely loaded airplane (glass panel, Oregon Aero seats front & rear, suspension, tires, urethane paint). It is fairly typical for our buyers in terms of options.

The Despicables are happy to provide real data whenever you like.

Did you ever find out where the 1023 lb empty weight came from?

So George, do you think your Husky(s) will have a long term place in your fleet? Or, will the FX3 replace them?

Joe

TBD. The FX3 is crazy fun to fly, goes faster and slower than a Husky, has amazing avionics, and is 200 pounds lighter than a light Husky. Did I say it was really fun to fly. :)

A lot of money to go a little faster than my Tcraft F21. 115 mph on wheels and 95 on floats. All at 6.5 gph. I will just wait for the lottery.

Jim

The economics of Cubs sure is changing. This new Carbon Cub will add very expensive Cubs to the fleet. 15 years ago nobody would have believed the market could support Cubs in the $250-$300K price range. Now they're common. The question is how many can the market support. Apparently the answer is more.

Did you ever find out where the 1023 lb empty weight came from?

Sorry, got distracted.

We’ve finished four of the new airplanes so far, and the base weights range from 1,023 to 1,038 lbs. depending on paint and a handful of other choices. N363EX is wearing our Signature Plus paint scheme, which is heavier. Here is how the additional equipment on N363EX adds up:

Extended range fuel tanks, +23.6 lb
Extended Baggage Compartment, +8.5 lb
Garmin G3X Glass Panel, +14.4 lb
LED Lighting & Strobe, RH Landing Light & LEMO Headset Jacks, +1.9 lb
Elevator Trim rear seat, +1.0
26" Goodyear tires, +11.2 lb
83" Hartzell prop upgrade (80" standard), +0.2 lb
Seaplane Panel, +1.0 lb.
Garmin Autopilot, +3.4 lb
Oregon Aero Seats (F&R), +5.1 lb
Odyssey Battery upgrade, +6.0 lb
Halon Fire Extinguisher, +2.3 lb
Optional vacuum pump drive on CC363i, +0.8 lb
Headset Hooks, +0.1 lb

The economics of Cubs sure is changing. This new Carbon Cub will add very expensive Cubs to the fleet. 15 years ago nobody would have believed the market could support Cubs in the $250-$300K price range. Now they're common. The question is how many can the market support. Apparently the answer is more.

Unfortunately the economics of GA has changed. Cubs are not the only aircraft that have higher prices. We're proud of our continuing development and our workmanship, but we are always looking for ways improve efficiency and reduce costs. Today we track at 60ish airplanes each year, and in most industries, that's a custom shop.

Last edited:
I only have three times around the patch (solo) in the CC. It is a real performer. If I had $300 grand and absolutely no other use for it I would buy one.

But it is for fun, not work - and I promise you I have just as much fun in J-3s as I did that fine day with the CC. With my new stroker, I feel like I am going straight up!

All Cubs are fun - lighter ones are more fun.

Back