• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cost/effort of converting from atlee to stock fuel tanks?

akwing

I have a set of wings set-up for atlee tanks and I'm wanting to convert them back to stock tanks.

Anyone have an overview of what needs to be done to make it happen and how much it will cost?

Thanks

MUCH, MUCH more work to convert them back, than to install atlee tanks

covered or uncovered?

uncovered, you will need wings off plane,

take leading edge & first 5? ribs & nose ribs off, replace the 2 modified ones in each wing, reinstall ribs, tank straps, new leading edge, new trailing edge/false spar, tanks and tank covers

recover wings

not worth effort it will cost you.....

I had Atlee tanks and loved them. You don't have to fill them up, and to be honest I never had a real problem reading the fuel gauges. There must be a load of people out there who would LOVE to trade with you.

Mike, do you recall offhand approx how much time to install Atlee’s 30.5G tanks? How about for a bare (uncovered) wing - much time savings?
Thanks,
Johnny

MUCH, MUCH more work to convert them back, than to install atlee tanks

covered or uncovered?

uncovered, you will need wings off plane,

take leading edge & first 5? ribs & nose ribs off, replace the 2 modified ones in each wing, reinstall ribs, tank straps, new leading edge, new trailing edge/false spar, tanks and tank covers

recover wings

not worth effort it will cost you.....

if you have a bare, uncovered wing...time savings is not the question.

the question is...do you want atlee tanks or standard wing tanks?

if you want atlee, install atlee

otherwise, go for standard (or dakota)

time is not the issue here

I appreciate what you’re saying, but I have a specific reason for asking about hours.
Question stands.

if you have a bare, uncovered wing...time savings is not the question.

the question is...do you want atlee tanks or standard wing tanks?

if you want atlee, install atlee

otherwise, go for standard (or dakota)

time is not the issue here

If starting from scratch it would be far less time than modifying an existing wing. The first one always takes more time, learning curve. Just built and installed a flip out window in a Maule. Took way longer than the next one will.

I don't know, never installed Atlee tanks. Have removed, welded and reinstalled one. The installation looks like a lot of work. If I had uncovered wings I bet I could do the mod in a week (40 hrs). I am good at shooting myself in the foot when it comes to bidding things like this.

I've removed, welded, and reinstalled a couple as well. One set was covered over, come to find as part of that install instead of modifying and moving a rib, it had been cut and tossed. A new pair of univair ribs that immediately went under the knife and installed so the installation would be correct, and so I'd have somewhere to glue the fabric down to.
So - don't cover them as the manual strongly recommends. I'd say if it was my first time installing in uncovered wings 40ish hours would be fair, and several hours of that would be reading and re-reading the install manual. Second time, 30-40 seems reasonable.

I don't recall how long it took me, with supervision from experienced IA, but it wasn't brief. One thought - rather than covering the bottom as the STC prescribes, we put in fairing strips and left the tank bottom exposed. It sure would make removing a tank much easier if required. I'd do it that way again.

We’re covering bottom - just not gluing fabric to tank. Will likely adhere soft side of Velcro to tank for stand-off and buffet management.

We’re covering bottom but not gluing. By the time I flange and silicone the bottom, the weight difference is probably minor. Either way seems ok as long as fabric isn’t glued to the tanks, per folks’ recommendations here. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?45749-Atlee-Tanks&highlight=Atlee

Not covering top, and have painted tank tops.

We’ll be sure to loosen and check fit and shim where needed before final tightening

Last edited:
Hardest part for Attlee or Dakota tanks is taking all those damn #4x1/4 PK screws out, especially if they rusted, or worse yet, someone put stainless screws in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seem to recall Mike Skup mentioning the fit to the spars is critical. They must be fitted with the wing washout set in it's final rigged position.

I seem to recall Mike Skup mentioning the fit to the spars is critical. They must be fitted with the wing washout set in it's final rigged position.
It is crucial to ensure fit is correct. Follow the install instructions they are very good and detailed except for gluing fabric to the tank bottom. I love my Attlee tanks. Although my sight gauges are very accurate in level flight they are pretty worthless in a three point with long gear and big tires. Installation with a fuel totalizer that’s calibrated is a must have instrument to run at lower fuel loads. It’s nice to have the range and be able to transport fuel with without using cabin space. I rarely fill capacity for most missions but it’s nice to have 61 gallons when you need it and a cargo pod for non fuel items.

Last edited:
So it took longer than I thought it would, just as folks suggested. Probably 70 hrs including our final shimming and tightening once wings are set (still to do).
one thing I didn’t expect was the wing sump bung extends down below the wing surface a ways. Legend wing is standard thickness. Changing to a Saf-Air SA14 flush drain valve.

IMG_3514.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 46
I have not seen those Curtis valves used on a Cub except for the SC in my shop right now. The Safe-Air that fits the bung in the tank without need a reducer bushing is the shortest.

I thought this was interesting.
PXL_20230411_125433358.jpg

PXL_20230411_125438888.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230411_125433358.jpg
    PXL_20230411_125433358.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20230411_125438888.jpg
    PXL_20230411_125438888.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 44
Mine is pretty flush but like I said I used the Safe-Air that fit the bung without the reducer bushing.
PXL_20230411_125605667.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230411_125605667.jpg
    PXL_20230411_125605667.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 33
Sat-Air SA14

Yep - SA14 is what fits our 1/4 npt bung.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safairflush_05-00969.php
SA14.jpg

Mine is pretty flush but like I said I used the Safe-Air that fit the bung without the reducer bushing.
View attachment 65435

Here’s top of wing and tank. Just set wings today, so tackling the shimming and tightening of tank clamps tomorrow. Apparent offset of tank top to fuselage is and illusion, and is just because of loose roof plexi. It’s mostly flat across.
IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3568.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 42
Back