• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

IO-520 Compressions

The oriface is in the connection between the two gauges and not really changeable.

I have not had a chance to fly the plane to warm it up to do a new reading with the .060 orifice gauge due to weather.
Tomorrow I should be able to fly and will report back with the findings.

A side note on compression readings.
My mechanic just obtained a old straight tail 182 that had been sitting for the past 6 years in and outside in Ohio. It had around 400hrs on the engine but had not run for 6 years. He flew out to get it and changed all the plugs, new harness and did some work on the carb and changed the oil and cleaned the screen.
Flew it back the other day and reported it was burning 1- 1 1/2 qts of oil an hour and the black streak down the side of the fuselage went almost back to the baggage door. We brought it into the hanger after a ground run to warm it up to do a compression ck for HaHa's before we broke it down for overhaul. Took bets on what the compression was going to be. I guessed in the 50's, he a bit lower due to oil consumption. First we hooked up the .040 gauge. When we finished we both were astonished to see the lowest was 80/74. Switched gauges to the new .060 set and none were below 80/77 and a couple read 80/80.
Based on compressions it was a very health engine but it really wasn't. Got the jugs off today and split the case. The jugs were scored a bit and some rust still showing. No rings were broken however. The inside was dark brown with the shellac/mineral oil look as though it had been run on non detergent oil most of its life. The engine logs were being shipped via mail and he didn't recall what they said about oil type. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Little Wing,
If you were loosing 10-15 Knots while running LOP you were leaning probably too far below peak.
Basically the accepted method is at 75% use 40deg F LOP and at 70% 25deg F LOP.
I find I loose about 4-6 mph in the 7-8,000 foot range and wind up at the published TAS in the book at about 2GPH less.

Last edited:
Little Wing,
If you were loosing 10-15 Knots while running LOP you were leaning probably too far below peak.
Basically the accepted method is at 75% use 40deg F LOP and at 70% 25deg F LOP.
I find I loose about 4-6 mph in the 7-8,000 foot range and wind up at the published TAS in the book at about 2GPH less.
I’ve read the literature, watched videos and think I understand the science but haven’t taken the GAMI course (but have their injectors). I lost 5-9 knots depending on altitude and saved 1.4 gph which seemed about the same as pulling the throttle back for the corresponding fuel flow. My theory is the previous owner of my 180 had cylinder cracking problems which I haven’t had due to decent temps which in my opinion are easier to manage when staying on the rich side. Just my opinion to date.

The oriface is in the connection between the two gauges and not really changeable.

I have not had a chance to fly the plane to warm it up to do a new reading with the .060 orifice gauge due to weather.
Tomorrow I should be able to fly and will report back with the findings.

A side note on compression readings.
My mechanic just obtained a old straight tail 182 that had been sitting for the past 6 years in and outside in Ohio. It had around 400hrs on the engine but had not run for 6 years. He flew out to get it and changed all the plugs, new harness and did some work on the carb and changed the oil and cleaned the screen.
Flew it back the other day and reported it was burning 1- 1 1/2 qts of oil an hour and the black streak down the side of the fuselage went almost back to the baggage door. We brought it into the hanger after a ground run to warm it up to do a compression ck for HaHa's before we broke it down for overhaul. Took bets on what the compression was going to be. I guessed in the 50's, he a bit lower due to oil consumption. First we hooked up the .040 gauge. When we finished we both were astonished to see the lowest was 80/74. Switched gauges to the new .060 set and none were below 80/77 and a couple read 80/80.
Based on compressions it was a very health engine but it really wasn't. Got the jugs off today and split the case. The jugs were scored a bit and some rust still showing. No rings were broken however. The inside was dark brown with the shellac/mineral oil look as though it had been run on non detergent oil most of its life. The engine logs were being shipped via mail and he didn't recall what they said about oil type. Very interesting.

In my experience engines that have sat a long time have really good compression a lot of times. My old O-235-C1 had over 2600 hours on it and burned a quart every 3-4 hours as long as I had it and had compressions in the high 70s. On the way back from Sun & Fun one year it was burning a quart every 1-1 1/2 hours. Compressions still in the high 70s. When I pulled the cylinders the oil control ring was worn smooth.

The differential compression test is just one tool in the arsenal. What about the borescope, oil analysis, screen/filter?

Buying new gauges to achieve a number won’t change how the engine performs.

My current engine has had compression tests as low as 74 in years past but this year all 6 tested at 79. The difference is in the equipment, not the engine. The engine performs exactly the same.

Last edited:
Service Bulletin SB03-3, which superseded M84-15 has been superceded by the Standard Practice Manual. http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SIL16-2.pdf

Actually, I don't believe it has.
If you read down the linked document, you will see a list of "incorporated service documents".
SB03-3 "differential pressure test and borescope inspection" is one of those.

The SB is incorporated into the SPM like my contact at TCM emailed me and I posted. SB 03-3 is no longer active. Look at TCM's website. It matters not. TCM says use the .040" orifice anyway. Tom3holer hasn't answered the other questions so it is all for not anyway. You gotta go by all the data you have and make a decision you are comfortable with.

Had good weather yesterday to fly. Did about a 45 min flight and retested with both the old and new gauges.
With the .060 gauge the readings were 1/72 2/77 3/77 4/78 5/78 6/79. Number 1 was the one that had the 60 reading on the .040 gauge and now it tested slightly better at 62 with that gauge. The leak is from the rings. The books are at the FBO but as I recall it has always been the lowest.

Good deal, I say go fly it like you stole it... surely you need to go somewhere over thanksgiving weekend.

After reading through all this, I still am not certain - if I wanted to buy one for compressions testing on my PPonk O-520, which one do I get?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/atsdifferentialtesters_kit2.php
or
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/diffcylindere2m1000.php

From the first link:

"NOTE: The ATS 2EM Differential Pressure Tester has a .040” orifice as required by Teledyne Continental SB03-3 Service Bulletin, and is the proper type of instrument to test ALL Teledyne Continental engines in accordance with the aforementioned bulletin."

FWIW that's the one I'd buy.

Back