• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Finally flew my StarDuster

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
I rebuilt a banged up StarDuster and finally got to fly it. It's big fun but I now know why there aren't many open cockpit airplanes in the north. I lasted about 30 mins in 43deg wx. Next summer will be big fun!IMG_3914.JPGIMG_3914.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 324
That's great Tom, I almost dropped in on Saturday when I flew past.

Lots of open cockpit biplanes by you Tom. 100 mile circle around Galway there are probable 20+.

Old Biplane pilot wisdom " Don't fly in any temperature below your age "

Glenn

Last edited:
Drop in anytime, always good to see you. I guess I miss the good wx for the open cockpits, leaving early May and not getting back until late Sept./ Oct. I'll looking at snowmobile cloths now they have batt. Heated stuff that is thin and light. Maybe a front cover and a canopy, but still fun.

Drop in anytime, always good to see you. I guess I miss the good wx for the open cockpits, leaving early May and not getting back until late Sept./ Oct. I'll looking at snowmobile cloths now they have batt. Heated stuff that is thin and light. Maybe a front cover and a canopy, but still fun.

Talk to Mark M, he delivered that open Agcat from your place to South Carolina one January day

Glenn

2ad7c82294f761e5e197b1dfa2aa5883.jpg

Kind of like motorcycles right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really a nice bike, about the same I guess for cold. I'm told the electric cloths are great. The cockpit is rather tight I can't wear a thin pack parachute , puts me too close to the panel. I guess loosing 20 lbs would be a step in the right direction to fitting in with heavy cloths on,lol , not going to happen.

Paraphernalia in Arlington, WA. builds a wedge shaped seat pack. You don't move up or forward and it gives support under your upper legs where the bulk of the chute is. It's a great chute for a big guy in a tight cockpit. I have S/N 1.

I bought a seat pack and take the seat cushion out and I'm ok. It's the third chute I bought: a back, a chair and the seat. I can get use out of the others in the old war birds I get to work on and ride in , so no lost anyway. These old aircraft designs were made for much smaller people than we are today. Chutes are required by law during aerobatics but the reality of a guy my size being able to get out of a tumbling aircraft this size is very questionable. I've seen a mod that opens the top area of the cockpit and glare shields to the side and may do this over the winter.

One thing for certain, if you get to the point of bailing out you don't have to watch what you step on like you do when getting in. Good looking airplane. People that have never flown a biplane don't know what they are missing. Its hard to describe the feeling you get looking through the wings and wires.

A neighbor had to bail out of his Miniplane that was set up to race at Reno with very little room between the windshield and the headrest. He said when you get really enthused about it, you find a way to get out in a hurry.

You'll have a ball with that little bi-plane! My father-in-law put his on skis last winter. Cover the front cockpit and you'll be able to fly all day.

Jacob, could I ask what skis he was useing on his StarDuster? I have a pair of 1800 straight skis and just bought a pair of LW2500 wheel skis. I've thought it would be big fun to ski fly it.

Ian in Starduster.jpg

I had a Starduster with an injected 200HP O-360. What a blast! Maybe time for another. Lotta bang for the buck. Long time ago now. My son's grown up.

Attachments

• Ian in Starduster.jpg
    Ian in Starduster.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 186
Back