• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PPonk ID

No. Slightly bigger in diameter in bore but otherwise identical. Same with case and accessories. If the motor is legal it should have the supplemental data tag. Another mod that most guys opt for is the seventh stud, a common hold-down plate between cylinders, but the presence or absence isn't conclusive evidence.

O-470-K
100_4191.JPG

An IO-520E converted to an O-520-D and then to an O-470-50.
DSCF5320.jpg

The P-Ponk is a pretty sweet set up for sure.
100_5334.JPG

Attachments

• 100_4191.JPG
    100_4191.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,310
  • DSCF5320.jpg
    DSCF5320.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 100_5334.JPG
    100_5334.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,334
Depends on which model 180. Had to have the exhaust flanges changed to the 4 bolt from the original 2. Cowls and airboxes were different on different model years.

SJ, I'm surprised you didn't upgrade to the Knisley dual exhaust. When I did my K install, I ran what you have for a year and then got the Knisley. Flanges match up to the bigger exhaust ports and not all the clamps.

SJ, I'm surprised you didn't upgrade to the Knisley dual exhaust. When I did my K install, I ran what you have for a year and then got the Knisley. Flanges match up to the bigger exhaust ports and not all the clamps.

Marty, I was already in WAY too deep if you know what I mean :yikez:

sj

O-470-K
View attachment 33480

An IO-520E converted to an O-520-D and then to an O-470-50.
View attachment 33481

Interesting that both of these engines appear to have primer lines going to only 4 of the 6 cylinders.
Any particular reasoning behind this?
My 53 C180's 470K primer lines are plumbed with a couple tees, going to only 2 cylinders.
Don't remember exactly which ones but they're both on the LH side.
A buddy's 54 C180's 470J had all 6 cylinders primed, with a 6-way distribution block as shown here.
I thought mine had been goobered up by someone, but my C180 IPC shows it can be either way.
Seems to me like priming all 6 would be the way to go. ??

just a FYI, if you use a IO-520 and convert it to a PPonk you do NOT get the higher TBO, or so FAA determined to the dismay of a customer...

just a FYI, if you use a IO-520 and convert it to a PPonk you do NOT get the higher TBO, or so FAA determined to the dismay of a customer...

I don't pay much attention to the manufacturer's TBO anyway. Luckily I only work on Part 91 stuff and these times and calendar times are not regulated.

FWIW the son of a guy I knew was selling a C180 with a Texas Skyways engine conversion.
It had 1600 or 1700 hours on it but was advertised as being "mid time".
IMHO it was not mid time, regardless of the (claimed) TBO of 2400 or 2500 hours.

A buddy's 54 C180's 470J had all 6 cylinders primed, with a 6-way distribution block as shown here.

Now that can be deceptive. I've got the same 6-way block on mine and I found out last weekend when changing out six cylinders that the middle two were blanked at the cylinder end. The lines from the block were running to the blanks.

My buddy who spent years overhauling Lycomings tells me he's seen the 360's with everything from 1 to 4 with priming lines.

Last edited:
We (MAF) just about always do and have for many years. But then we fly them several hours most every day, that makes all the difference.

Saw something like 2000 hours on an 0-470R. Was using 1 qt oil about every 20 hours. changed oil
every 25 hours.

I think recommendated TBO was 1500 or 1700 hours.

Last edited:
Now that can be deceptive. I've got the same 6-way block on mine and I found out last weekend when changing out six cylinders that the middle two were blanked at the cylinder end. The lines from the block were running to the blanks.....

What do you mean when you say "blanks"?
If I was disconnecting some of the primer lines, I would remove the tubing and install a plug at the distributor manifold.
Some people might go the quick and dirty route, and just pinch the tubing flat at either end.

Back