• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

3 Blade Versus 2 Blade

I liked the O470R, Leading Edge Exhaust and 88” McCauley combination on my 180. Good combination of power and fuel burn.

Hi JohnnyR,

;
View attachment 41114

That airplane was wearing the Hartzell Trailblazer (also composite), and while it was scuffed, scratched and bruised, it was most certainly flyable. Because it most certainly had contacted the ground, I have no doubt that had it been an MT it would have been splinters. I am not aware of anyone flying one of those on a 180, but sure would like to know more about them.

Take care, Rob

I've a 180J with a PPONK and a long 2 blade. For neighborly reasons while keeping the weight down and the performance up I'm looking into composite 3 blades. At the Alaska show, after talking to the MT guys I asked the Hartzell guys about a trailblazer for my ride. They told me the company owner recently got a Skywagon and wants a trailblazer for his plane. So if I'm not in a hurry, give them about a year...

Kevin

p.s. Both MT and Hartzell said I'll give up a bit of top speed switching to a 3 blade.

Link to video test with 3 blade props on p ponk 182. In the video it sounds like the MT makes less noise. My 185 with floats and skis I run 3 blade MT. Maybe a different plane than mine but I won't run anything but composite prop. 8 years and no signs of wear or erosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lumj1RV5gV8

Last edited:
I spent a little time fixing rock chips this week in my very low time composite prop. When I look closely at my 86" 3 blade aluminum prop on the Cessna I can detect lots and lots of rock ticks on the back of the blades and none needs attention. Composite props have some strengths but they aren't perfect for everyone. If Whirl Wind would extend the nickel leading edge across the rear of the blade? I'd pay extra for that!

3 blade props can be a pain to get to and from the prop shop if you are not close to one and even then can be a hassle. I went thru this recently, no fun, expensive. Just a little something to think about.

Kurt

Looking for any Pirep on a straight tail 182 with a 470-R using a 3 blade HARTZELL HC-82VF-1DB/V8433-2.

Hartzell website claims lower noise and better prop clearance, and improved take off and climb. A couple of inches of improved prop clearance is always good on a nose wheel type.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Rob-

Re: the prop strike part of your post, it'd have to be a serious emergency to get me to take off again with a known ground strike on my prop, e.g. I have someone that needs to get to a cardiac center right now.

Yep, fair enough :) That was probably poorly worded. It was not my intent to suggest we should stuff our snouts into the ground and then depart. It was just a feeble attempt at illustrating the type of hit one prop would take and at least remain whole. It made quite an impression to this multiple MT owner.

Take care, Rob

..... In recent years there have been a few C203's FA'd to the Pponk. I have never flown one of those, I expect they should perform almost identical to the C66's since the blades are very similar. I remember Steve having trouble getting these on the STC because of a vibration issue, I'd talk to him about that before I went too far down this path.....

The C203 isn't on the STC for the Ponk -50 STC (now the NorthPoint XP470), unless NorthPoint has added it.
However, the crankshaft damper arrangement on the 470K is the same as required for the -50 conversion,
and Jim Hayton / North Sound Aviation holds an STC to put a C203 on the K.

Not a three blader, or on a 180, but when I was trying out a different (Luga) 2 blade 79" prop on the S-7S, instead of my long favored 78" Prince P-tip, I thought I could detect a much different tone to it, one I didn't care for, at least as far as in consideration of others. In a way it sounded kinda cool, but I like being as stealth as possible, so I had a neighbor make this short clip just so I could get a handle on the tonal difference. The Luga prop, though a real good performer, is now delegated to be my backup prop, ready to go "just in case." The Prince, and I'm not sure if it's the P-tips, the chord design, or both, sounds a lot better, with a deep much throatier tone, almost radial engine like. This post made me think of it, as I had described the Luga as almost having "a 180 like snarl" to it. The Prince performs as well, but without the snarl.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTht968TfsQ&t=3s

Back