Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! How do you organize your misc hardware?

Post Thanks / Like

Help! How do you organize your misc hardware?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hardware.jpg 
Views:	2180 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	33471

After consolidating homes in two different states, and years of going to the hardware store to by that bolt that I KNOW I have but can't find until I buy another one, it has come time to face the music and get all this stuff organized, or sell it and resign myself to buying a bolt, nut, plumbing fitting, etc every time I need something.

I have TONS of nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc. in a huge disarray. How do you folks organize this kind of thing?

sj

P.S. The photo above is not even half of it.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes mike mcs repair, cafi19 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clausen sells weird looking pickles in Kansas! For what it's worth, you're about 2 steps more organized than I am at home so will be interesting to see the suggestions.
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You've seen my mess... so I sure can't help you!!

Here's how I store SOME of my tube clamps..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hangarcleaningjune242015 001.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	33472  
    Likes SJ, Oz. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont have tons of hardware, but it got overwhelming when I bought all the hardware I thought I would need to assemble my Bearhawk Patrol Kit. I organized the small pieces using plano boxes with adjustable sized compartments. Menards sells four packs of them. One box for nuts, one for washers, another for cotter pins, one for AN3 bolts, another for AN4 bolts, rivets, etc.

Some stuff is too large for small compartments, like AN fittings, and loop clamps. So my next step up was to use a shoe box sized clear plastic container with a lid.

The downside of the compartment boxes is if I drop my rivet box, I am in trouble. It would take some time to re-organized that one. so, I think a series of small rivet dispenser bottles, not unlike a salt shaker, should be considered. And keep this stuff out of reach of curious grand kids....I can just imagine the day of discovery and opens them up sequentially dumping them on the floor..."The fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control......."

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...3082310730.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    I dont have tons of hardware, but it got overwhelming when I bought all the hardware I thought I would need to assemble my Bearhawk Patrol Kit. I organized the small pieces using plano boxes with adjustable sized compartments. Menards sells four packs of them. One box for nuts, one for washers, another for cotter pins, one for AN3 bolts, another for AN4 bolts, rivets, etc.

Some stuff is too large for small compartments, like AN fittings, and loop clamps. So my next step up was to use a shoe box sized clear plastic container with a lid.

The downside of the compartment boxes is if I drop my rivet box, I am in trouble. It would take some time to re-organized that one. so, I think a series of small rivet dispenser bottles, not unlike a salt shaker, should be considered. And keep this stuff out of reach of curious grand kids....I can just imagine the day of discovery and opens them up sequentially dumping them on the floor..."The fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control......."

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...3082310730.htm
    I actually looked at those at Menards the other day (we have one dangerously close to our house). Certainly the sliding plastic drawer things that I have have been less than handy and hard to tell what is in there.

Hmmmmm

sj
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like tilt bins. Much easier to see contents.

https://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-Inte.../dp/B00ZI7PVJU
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Thanks cubnut thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    I like tilt bins. Much easier to see contents.

https://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-Inte.../dp/B00ZI7PVJU
    I have a few, but they are not easily portable if you are going to work on something not in the shop.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    My $50 follow up question - when do you say when? I have stuff that I have had for 30+ years that I have not touched - but might someday be useful! (unlikely). Is there are certain type of therapist that can help with this?

sj
    Likes bob turner, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes SJ, mam90, Snert liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sj, how do we upload a video directly from our phone?? tapatalk don't work, computer won't either.....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I have a few, but they are not easily portable if you are going to work on something not in the shop.

sj
    thats worrying to much... "premature optimization is the root of all evil..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Why is it that no matter how much shelf space or how many parts bins, there is always need for more?
    N1PA
    Likes SJ, mike mcs repair, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 18 month rule. If I haven't used it in a year and a half I must not need it. If I have something I haven't used in 18 months I either won't remember having it or won't find it. I've proven that time and time again.
    Thanks Oz. thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, SJ, 68Papa, Stephen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My $50 follow up question - when do you say when? I have stuff that I have had for 30+ years that I have not touched - but might someday be useful! (unlikely). Is there are certain type of therapist that can help with this?

sj
    I give a lot of things I've had for years to my neighbor Jim, he's a hoarder. I don't need to store it anymore and it's close by if I need a part.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    What! Nobody uses Blazo or 80/87 Avgas boxes for storage anymore? I have about 15 in my garage. Example:

Gary

Edit: latest evolution is zip-lock bags to sort then toss them in the boxes. I can find anything that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2404.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	33475  
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 10-31-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    Likes mike mcs repair, SJ, Cub Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Please be my new neighbor... I'm fully certified to hold the dumb end of any tape measure and the wife bakes amazing pies and should boredom even set in she can kill any lawn mower ever built which makes for a never ending stream of projects.

OC
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 10-31-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes FdxLou, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Mike, that is awesome, did you use the Dewey Decimal System to categorize it?

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, that is awesome, did you use the Dewey Decimal System to categorize it?

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    not quite....

you should have seen when my girl friend moved 2 years ago, and i color sorted all her tubes of beads before i could put them away.... took weeks...

organization is important, some days too important...

and just a FYI, those cabinets don't ship well through the mail when full of bolts.... it took 23 YEARS to sort out the ones i moved from Naknek.....

Post Thanks / Like
    SJ, boy did you open a coffee can full of worms. I've been working on some of this recently. One fantasy is to tag each bin with descriptor, AN Part Number or whatever, AND hot-glue a sample on the lid or front, depending on system. My FBO has a decent supply of common stuff, so that's my main store room, but always need stuff in my hangar, or when working elsewhere. And then I'm cursed with Hangar Elves who like to mix stuff, and Garage Trolls who do worse. It's too bad that Girlscout lacks the patience to sort through buckets of hardware, and randomly misplaced tools....

Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks. cubscout
    Likes mike mcs repair, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A local FBO used to throw all their loose hardware and whatever after a job in buckets or pans. The owner paid his daughter to sort through them and store. Last I saw years later the bulk containers were still full. Didn't work out at minimum wages. We customers used to pick through them like it was Halloween...which it is today I guess.

Gary
    Likes SJ, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like these for customer projects hardware once it's purchased to keep it organized and separated from my own stock.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Join the military and pack yourself out every two years!!! I have screws and tools that are over 40 years old. The trick is to put like stuff all in the same spot. All screws go on the same shelf, same with bolts, abrasive paper, and tape. Now take bins and put plumbing, painting and other like stuff in totes. Get metal locker for all paints, and oils. NEVER throw the old stuff out. Get a few beers and spend some time in the shop doing nothing but looking at old stuff. Remember some may look at you as an old scrap that should be thrown out (NOT THAT I HAVE ISSUES!!!!!)
    DENNY
    Likes SJ, WanaBNACub, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s HARDWARE....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffair View Post
    What’s HARDWARE....?
    Its what you fixed the fence with.

Post Thanks / Like

sj
    I do not resemble that remark.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sj
    I have lots of stuff (more than just hardware) in my new Cub which has been laying around for a lot longer than 30+ years. One must be selective when indiscriminately throwing stuff out.
    N1PA
    Likes SJ, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On to tools now:

I have seven cordless and two corded, and two pneumatic drills, granted some have impact capability, three jig saws, three palm sanders, two chop saws/PMBs, three plug in circular saws and one cordless, a couple grinders, and lots of "singles" like sawzall, laminate router, etc.

I like all eleven drills, but really? How does one let go.... I guess I should have a tool sale.

sj
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On to tools now:

I have seven cordless and two corded, and two pneumatic drills, granted some have impact capability, three jig saws, three palm sanders, two chop saws/PMBs, three plug in circular saws and one cordless, a couple grinders, and lots of "singles" like sawzall, laminate router, etc.

I like all eleven drills, but really? How does one let go.... I guess I should have a tool sale.

sj
    Give them to Glenn's neighbor.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On to tools now:

sj
    reward your self with a new one of each, IF you make the others go away....

some tech had improved(not reliability, but functionality) I was impressed with the palm sander i bought 10 years ago new, it sanded great and didn't just shake my hand... after i bought 3 old Makita's off ebay... threw them away then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to have a drill for every common size bit. Saves time in changing them out. Use to have different size counters inks all chucked up when I was doing a lot of heavy sheet metal work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus the cordless for convenience in quick change chucks and no cord or air hose needed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And hardware organization is a long slow process. I have lots of "Gimme" shelves, drawers etc. It was great when the accounting forms came out online.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    On to tools now:

sj
    I’ll be there shortly to help you reduce your quantities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Between house, camp and hangar I think I now own three of everything. A lot more productive than than constantly bellowing to anyone within earshot "why can't I find my...."

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com
    Likes wirsig, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I need that therapist. How do you organize those little things you only have one of? I routinely lose big things, like magnetoes.

Worse, when I know I have one, it is usually at home when I am at the airport and vice versa. Drives me fruitbasket.

I cannot even file paperwork properly. Good thing I only have four sets of logs around here. I have to look carefully to see which engine log goes to which Cub.

Even my computer files are random.

Post Thanks / Like

sj
    Nope. best cure is to go ahead and pick the least likely thing and throw it away. then start counting the days til you need it.
    5 days most times. That will cure you of ever throwing good junk away.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Visited a very old farmhouse the other day... have it dialed in now...

Name:	solved.jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	33880
    Likes CamTom12, mike mcs repair, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Organisation of hardware.

I'm starting to amass quite a collection of aircraft hardware. Screws, washers, AN bolts etc.

While I don't have the amount a small maintenance shop would, I have too much for the lift the lid style organisers.

Would appreciate and photo's and tricks that others use for such.

Many thanks,
    Texmex.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.schallercorporation.com/

Plastic bins in a drawer toolbox is hard to beat. Mobile, bins removable, inventory at a glance.

Name:	BBBBDF39-3F14-4256-B54C-D5640E8C6008.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	39857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD6D5AA7-23D0-405A-ABEF-2FECA961E360.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	39858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5725BA58-F9CB-4816-8A69-D796F2462450.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	39859
    Thanks Pipeliner thanked for this post