• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery position PA18-95

giangab

Hello all.
First of all let me thank the whole group for the help one can find here.
Super Cub Battery position:
135 hp up the battery is located longitudinally high on a tray on the rh side behind the rear ceiling
In my 90hp the battery is transversal and centered on the rear of the luggage compartement in a sealed alu box.
The latter position is surely dictated by the lighter engine, but this location spoils the luggage compartment usage.
My idea is to turn the battery 90 deg and place it on the right side of the luggage compartment floor, and having its center of gravity at the same distance from the reference point, hence not altering the weight and balance and leabing more room for luggage on the floor.
Any comments? Or options.
Thanks, Gian

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Experimental?

Is it possible to use a light weight (Lithium) battery and put it under either the rear or front seat?

The 90 hp Super Cubs originally had the battery in the same place as the 125, 135 and 150 hp variants. I moved it to under the pilot's seat and it was a mistake. Flew much better with the battery where Piper put it. Use a sealed Hawker battery and you can lay it 90 degrees with no issues.
IMG_1552.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,024
Thanks Steve,
Do you mean that all Super Cubs had the battery high on the frame?
When I bought my PA18-95 the battery was as said on the floor of the luggage compartment and there is no opening with lid to access the battery.
Fo you mean that i could put the battery in the original position without messing with W&B?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

If you move the
battery fore or aft, the moment arms changes and CG is shifted. W&B must be recalcualted.

Thanks Steve,
Do you mean that all Super Cubs had the battery high on the frame?
When I bought my PA18-95 the battery was as said on the floor of the luggage compartment and there is no opening with lid to access the battery.
Fo you mean that i could put the battery in the original position without messing with W&B?

My -95 has a small battery just behind the rear seat, but because it is bare bones (no electrics, starter or gyros-but it does have greenhouse and two wing tanks) the empty CofG is 19in aft (empty 907lbs). In effect making it aft limited if someone heavier is in the rear. Am around 170lbs so it usually works as I can fly from the rear. Moving the battery to a more forward location would probably help.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Thanks L18c-95.
Mine gas starter and charger. The battery is a 32 amp/hr.
As said it was on the luggage compartment floor.
What about moving aft on thr frame behind the luggage compartment?

The 90 hp SC I flew had a starter and generator and was way better when the battery was on the shelf behind the baggage where Piper put it. It is depicted in the illustrated parts manual.

Both of the 90 hp Super Cubs I've owned have had the battery box mounted behind the baggage compartment, on the right side of the airplane, under a cover in the top of the turtle deck, which is opened by turning 4 dzus fasteners. I am pretty sure this is the stock location for the 90 hp Super Cubs, as I've seen others set up exactly the same way. I've never seen one with the battery mounted inside the baggage compartment.

Thanks to all. It seems you are right and that the location found in my 90 has been a "personal" invention of some one.

My rear fuel compensation tank is now on the batteru shelve, hence I shall move it attached to the two frame diagonals between battery and baggage compartement.

Thanks for all the great info on this site. I have an 18-95 and this is great info. I wonder if a guy could use an odyssey in place of the heavy gill in this plane and leave it where it is? Or maybe the w&b needs the heavier battery back there....? Also maybe no STC for an odyssey on a -95......?

Back