• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anyone using the BBI Aviation 20 gal tanks?

Onesick784

SPONSOR
Anyone using the smith 20 gallon tanks? Interested in them for my build but can't find a lot out there on them. Or is there a better route to go?

The tanks I have seen from Smith were very heavy and the way they mount they come flying out in a flip over or other accident.

What's a good alternative? Not looking for anything bigger than those , 18-20 gallons per side is more than enough for me.

The BBI tanks are made by Nick Smith. They are a bit heavy, but otherwise a good tank. They strap in securely around the spar, like the stock tank. There is a compression tube that goes through the tank. Don't see how it could come flying out in an accident or other accident any more that any other tank.

The ones I have worked on were held in with an aluminum stap instead of steel like the Piper tanks. In an accident the non-extruded piano hinge that holds the straps together streches out and the tank comes out. The ones Nick provided Greg were different and way heavy, they clamped around the spar.

Thanks Steve...he must make different versions. Mine are steel straps. I see that the piano hinge could be a weak point.

Back