• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O-290 piston/ring sets

Jim,
Not to forget all the valvetrain bits needed for the conversion. I'm all about simple. Straight bore plated cylinders in standard size. 8.25 comp pistons with cast iron rings make for an good running 155 takeoff hp. and 145 cruise hp. If you really want to start swapping parts, find a O-340 crank and install with GPU 6.5 comp. forged pistons running just the top 3 rings. 315 cu. inch and 10:1 comp. I got a million combinations but not a million dollars. I'm just about quick and cheap, run what you already have kicking around.

Dana LaBounty
Chief cook and bottle washer.
"The Awesome Possum"
Bistro and Bait

Not all O-435, some angle valve. Heavier too. For all the effort no real advantage as the ports are still not anything better.

Dana, will you need to retard the timing with the higher compression? I know with 7.5:1, retarding 18 degrees btc is required, just wondering if you'll need to go even more than that?

Retard for 7.5 comp was specified for 80/87 fuel. 100LL, non issue. Run timing like a 160hp O-320. Next question.

Why lower the compression and suffer reduced combustion efficiency? I'm curious. I just had pins made from H13 tool steel and the first batch of 8.5:1 pistons are in line for production. I'll have them ready to ship in 5 weeks. Rings are on hand as well as the pin buttons. Best option is to have oversize cylinders plated to standard and STRAIGHT BORED. Let you O-290 perform like a modern engine.

Starting a Tcraft EAB build and have a bunch of cheap 0-290 options local so I'm keeping you in mind. Not fully set on engine though.

Hey all,

Just bumping this as I have piston sets on hand. These things are beautiful and weight came in at 970 grams. Stock 6.5 piston is a tick over 1100 grams.

If you end up making 7.0 sets, please let me know. Don’t want to run a CR that high on 55 year old GPU cylinders with screwed on heads on an airplane my children ride in. Airboat would not be an issue...

Are there Lycoming cylinders made today that do not have screwed on heads? The better fuel available today allows for the compression increase and will INCREASE combustion efficiency. Lower CHT's and reduced RPM's for the same power output and increased reliability. No sir, I will not accept the downside of lower compression. Now if you want to turbo supercharge... I'll default to my experience building Cosworth Indy car engines back in the mid 80's and everything I've learned since.
The stuff I had made is just beyond compare to anything out there. The better ring control alone is reason enough to want these in an aircraft engine. Can't wait to get it built and dyno run. I'm thinking 165hp.

To be fair if someone wants a lower compression piston they can pm me. There is a 12 piston minimum order and I would need you to make payment directly to the manufacturer. I had to front $4000 for this batch and don't care to put my money out on some ones word that they will buy a set.

Greg, Ancient history. I did have a batch made and they sold instantly. I get request now and again for another set but have other projects
from decades past in the way. I may yet have another run done but not for a couple months. Just for bragging rights, they came out 2 ounces
lighter than the cast stock pistons. I'm going to have to come up with a different pin/button combo if I do this. I'm all out of O-290 buttons.
I'm thinking use O-320 buttons and have shorter pins made. The other option is go to double spirilox and lose even more weight. Any thoughts?
Now if someone wants to help lighten my project load I'll get on it. What do you know about late 70's Ducati 900's, then there's my Great Lakes
strewn about the shop and corners of the country. I'm only 57 and retired but I have a lifetime of projects to play with.

Did you find thinner rings for your pistons? These being more suitable for the unleaded gas.
I have more knowledge of the round case Ducks than the later square case motors.

I did find GREAT rings for these pistons. Moly top, cast 2nd and stainless oil control.
Working on my Darmah SS custom. The renter I had when I lived in Burlington sold
a bunch of parts off my bike to someone in northern Vt., stuff like my Campagnolo wheels
with brake rotors and all, the fairing and other odd bits. So 30 years on I'm finally collecting
what's needed and freshening the engine. Cleaning up a pile of baskets.

A friend of mine just cleaned out a storage unit of a Ducati guy who recently passed away. Most of the parts were from the early 2000s. There was a set of Campy wheels but they were later, wider rims. I got some upper fairings but again much newer than our bikes.
In 1980 when I bought my 74 Sport, the original owner had installed the dual seat and painted the tank and fenders silver to match the Darmah look. Luckily the original single seat and side covers are untouched original.

It will be a few years till I open up my O-290 but might be in the market for pistons then.

Hey all,
I'm thinking about have a short run of pistons for O-290 made. 8.25:1 and 10:1. Standard and .020 over. New pins, buttons and rings for your cylinders. Chrome, moly faced or cast iron. $1295/engine set. Just throwing it out there to see if there is interest.

Dana LaBounty
Sumter South Carolina

Hi Dana, are these piston sets still available?

and then there is the already low TBO and the AD to retard the timing on the O-290-D2. I have heard the stories that this was all a ploy by Lycoming to sell more O-320s.

Steve, what I heard about this when I was running 135 hp in my J-3 Banner planes was that the O290-D2 was meant to run on 87 octane and when 100 low lead came out it was no longer really necessary to run the timing back to 23 from 25. In fact the banner guys in Florida set their timing to 27 with 100LL, or so they told me. It always seemed like they didn't run that great with the timing retarded and I think I remember setting ours back to 25, in Restricted Category.

Last edited:
Back