Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-290 piston/ring sets

Post Thanks / Like

O-290 piston/ring sets

Hey all,
    I'm thinking about have a short run of pistons for O-290 made. 8.25:1 and 10:1. Standard and .020 over. New pins, buttons and rings for your cylinders. Chrome, moly faced or cast iron. $1295/engine set. Just throwing it out there to see if there is interest.

Dana LaBounty
    Sumter South Carolina
    Likes LMartin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it OK to copy this post on the ShortWingPipers.org? There is a bunch of O-290 guys there.
    Likes Bender liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You can copy and spread it wherever but these are NOT going to be PMA parts so they may be useless to some. I also have them listed on Barstormers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Owner produced parts?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me in for a set of 10:1's if that price includes the pistons and rings. My RV3 could use a little more punch.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Likes Flying Fox liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Owner produced parts?
    Doesn't count as owner produced, it doesn't meet type design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Doesn't count as owner produced, it doesn't meet type design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True, standard is 7.5 to 1. Was thinking it was 8.5 to 1.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    What would an 0-290 be putting out for power with 10:1 compression?

Post Thanks / Like
    Add 4% for every 1 point increase in compression. Sets include new pins fitted to pistons, pin buttons in brass or aluminum AND rings in moly, chrome or cast iron. All 4 cylinders serviced. I highly recommend straight bored cylinders with these pistons and rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need $300 deposit and 3 orders for each combo of either 8.25 or 10 and standard or .020 over. Most of the airboat guys are going 10:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    True, standard is 7.5 to 1. Was thinking it was 8.5 to 1.
    That's what I thought, Owner Produced Part. I would order mine as 7.5 to 1 and if it wasn't exactly that, Oh Well. Bet it would put out 150HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    O-290 come in 6.5, 7.0 and 7.5. These pistons won't have any markings so, stamp them and run them. Unlike NASCAR they aint got a whistle check on any runway I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought an STC one time to add 0235-L2C pistons to an 0235C-1, raising the compression from 6.5 to 8.5:1 as I recall. One of the requirements was to change the cylinder corner hold down studs from 3/8" to 7/16"? Something to ponder if going to 10:1. Also the recommendation for straight bored cylinders caught my attention. Danal, is this recommendation specifically for this application or are you a fan of straight bored cylinders in general? Comments? Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    and then there is the already low TBO and the AD to retard the timing on the O-290-D2. I have heard the stories that this was all a ploy by Lycoming to sell more O-320s.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    All of this has more to do with type of piston construction and ring design. Keystone rings and choke bores are there to keep the rings from micro welding/sticking in the lands of a cast piston. Anodize the top land of a cast piston, install straight rings and run in a straight bore. Best yet, forged piston, straight rings and straight bore. The only reason for a choke bore is to keep the rings from sticking in a cast piston. It has NOTHING to do with expansion of the top of the cylinder or any of the other old wives tales. Period, the end.
    Thanks 180Marty, cruiser thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    An O-290 running high compression pistons would be a hoot to fly in a lightweight cub, but there's still the issue of expensive/hard to find cylinders. What about line-boring your cade to accept 0-320 cylinders? I know this has been done before, seems like this may be a good option also. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Boring the case for O-320 cylinders is fine. Don't forget the O-320 sump, runners and carb. I have a lifetime supply of O-290 cylinders being plated back to standard straight bore. I also have 7/16" stem exhaust valves being made. Just another iron in the fire.
    Likes 1934A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking cylinder shops were installing the 1/2" valves in the 290. Why use the 7/16"?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    They are, because I can. Less mass for the spring to deal with and less obstruction in the port. Oh, and less cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    But haven't there been issues with breaking 7/16" valves? You can haven7/16" made cheaper than you can buy 1/2" valves?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having mine made in Titanium and there will also be a flow improvement. Corrosion and resulting breakage will be eliminated. The material used with the 7/16" was inferior to the 1/2" so, not that the 1/2" is any better choice except for the material. I'm falling back on my experience working on Cosworth Indy car engines back in the '80's.

Dana LaBounty
    Likes wirsig, C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an interesting powerplant you're building. What else are you doing to it? Port and polish? I'd like to know more about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dana, On the valves you are having made, would it be worth it to go down to 11/32 stems which are so damn common and have guides or guide inserts made?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a request for 1500 valves with 13/32" stems so that's where I'll go. What I'm doing with my cylinders is pretty mild. Any port work will be limited to the 1" nearest the valve seat. Remove or blend any casting imperfections, polish exhaust port and stipple intake port to induce boundry turbulence.
    Likes wirsig liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Stipple? As in dimples like a golf ball? How is it done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple sizes of air driven tools almost like oversized etching tools. I did know a guy years ago that did dimple combustion chambers. I never really got into it but have thought about it again recently. The dimples are the reason a golf ball is so much more efficient in flight. Boundary layer turbulence acts like ball bearings for the air.
    I started this thread thinking someone may be interested in some pistons for experimental O-290's. Any takers?

Dana LaBounty
    The "Possum Works"

Post Thanks / Like
    With those 11/32 Ex valve stems you can clean up the guide interference of the flow on the roof of the port a fair amount. Still can not do much for the way to tight short side radius of the ports.
    I may take the time to put a cylinder on the flow bench and see what a pitot tube shows. Not sure I want to though since these are such old technology and to risky to try and improve properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    CharlieN,

Ditto not flow benching. I don't spend more than 30 minutes per head and only look to keep velocity up. Not enough RPM to waste time where there is no benefit. As an aside, took delivery of a new Miller Syncrowave 210 a couple weeks ago. This thing is the cats ass for just working for myself. Anyone thinking about getting a TIG setup, I can't say enough good about it. Got mine from Cyberweld for under $2500 with the Miller rebate and it came with a Spoolmate 150 for shooting aluminum wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice buy on the Syncrowave, My Syncro 250 is 26 YO now and of my 3 Tig machines is by far the favorite. The $1300 circuit board a decade ago from a lightning strike was bothersome but I will not give that machine up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeh, rebuilt the Onan twin on my old Trailblazer 250G and a guy just had to have it with a wire feed and HF box. He gave me $4k so I feel reel good about "down sizing".
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Now but 0-435 or G0-435 cylinders on that 0-290 and you will have something.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,
    Not to forget all the valvetrain bits needed for the conversion. I'm all about simple. Straight bore plated cylinders in standard size. 8.25 comp pistons with cast iron rings make for an good running 155 takeoff hp. and 145 cruise hp. If you really want to start swapping parts, find a O-340 crank and install with GPU 6.5 comp. forged pistons running just the top 3 rings. 315 cu. inch and 10:1 comp. I got a million combinations but not a million dollars. I'm just about quick and cheap, run what you already have kicking around.

Dana LaBounty
    Chief cook and bottle washer.
    "The Awesome Possum"
    Bistro and Bait

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the advantage of the O-435 cylinders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all O-435, some angle valve. Heavier too. For all the effort no real advantage as the ports are still not anything better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dana, will you need to retard the timing with the higher compression? I know with 7.5:1, retarding 18 degrees btc is required, just wondering if you'll need to go even more than that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Retard for 7.5 comp was specified for 80/87 fuel. 100LL, non issue. Run timing like a 160hp O-320. Next question.
    Thanks 1934A thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in a set of 7.5 or lower compression pistons w/pins & rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why lower the compression and suffer reduced combustion efficiency? I'm curious. I just had pins made from H13 tool steel and the first batch of 8.5:1 pistons are in line for production. I'll have them ready to ship in 5 weeks. Rings are on hand as well as the pin buttons. Best option is to have oversize cylinders plated to standard and STRAIGHT BORED. Let you O-290 perform like a modern engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting a Tcraft EAB build and have a bunch of cheap 0-290 options local so I'm keeping you in mind. Not fully set on engine though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

Just bumping this as I have piston sets on hand. These things are beautiful and weight came in at 970 grams. Stock 6.5 piston is a tick over 1100 grams.