• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag Aero - vertical stabilizer joint question

rv7pilot

Normal, IL
Hello Everyone,

I am getting started on an experimental clipped wing cub, and I purchased the Wag Aero Sport Trainer balanced empennage kit to get started. As I have been laying out the vertical stabilizer, I am a bit puzzled by the joint where the top rib meets the forward angled (leading edge) tube. On the plans, it doesn’t look like there is a lot of surface area in this weld — just a small portion of the forward portion of the tube appears to be angled to meet the top rib leading to very little surface area to weld.

This sure seems like an area that needs a bit more welding. Does anyone have pictures of a completed vertical stab or a closeup of the vertical stab top rib to forward tube joint that they’d be willing to post?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Rob

Rob,
This picture may help; it's from my Wag 2+2. The top rib overlaps the top of the tube and is fitted around the inside edge. Enlarge the picture some more and I think you will see how it fits.
Marty

100_6083.jpg

Attachments

• 100_6083.jpg
    100_6083.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the reply, Marty!

Were you able to get your TIG torch (assumption on welding process) inside the rib to weld on the aft side of the front tube? Or did you only weld the forward portion of the tube/rib intersection? Or did you do the front and sides only?

Rob,
Old school ...... I weld with O/A. I didn't weld inside the rib; just the outside of the rib to the tube. Welding on both sides of the rib is not recommended as it burns through the rib. Here's a shot of the corner welded and painted.
Marty

IMG_9793.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9793.jpg
    IMG_9793.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 128
Perfect! Thank you both — I’m in uncharted territory on this build. I’ve built an RV-7, but this is quite a bit different. Thanks again

Back