• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What about this one?

The typical 180H should weigh 250-300# less than that one does. Lots of stuff on that equipment list is heavy. The question is whether the equipment is worth the weight to you.

The typical 180H should weigh 250-300# less than that one does. Lots of stuff on that equipment list is heavy. The question is whether the equipment is worth the weight to you.

I just finished one with a garmin g500 mvp-50 float kit sportsman vg’s pponk 88” 3 blade prop 31” Bushwheels and baby bushwheel and it was right around that weight. And it will still get in and out of 400ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent well over a year looking for a 180. Flew all over the country and Canada. Most were misrepresented. After a lot of thought I bought a 9700hr 185 with a 140hr factory reman a couple of years ago for about the same price. The high time airframe concerned me mainly for resale, value when the time came, realizing that it would not appreciate as much as a lower time airframe. Overall I have been very pleased with the plane.

I did see that one and must say it seems well equipped. The autopilot, if it works, is a 20k addition. There was no mention if it came from the factory as a seaplane. Seaplanes were factory zinc chromated which adds a lot in keeping corrosion at bay. Stretcher door generally indicates it not a seaplane.
Skywagons Inc is a big broker for 180/185 aircraft and most of their aircraft are very nice. They have a reputation and would guess they would not try and broker a plane that was not at least in decent shape. By all means have a knowledgeable 180 mechanic of your choosing go over it fully. You can always offer to buy it pending the inspection.
Basically as I see it, other than a Ipad mini on the yoke it has all the bells and whistles one would need so yes contact them asap and jet out there to look at it.
Tom

With a jet lagged pilot, two souls on board and a non-functioning airspeed indicator one slipped into my strip and turned off at the 550' mark.
Took off in much less.

Last edited:
I just finished one with a garmin g500 mvp-50 float kit sportsman vg’s pponk 88” 3 blade prop 31” Bushwheels and baby bushwheel and it was right around that weight. And it will still get in and out of 400ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around what weight? 2000# empty?

With a jet lagged pilot, two souls on board and a non-functioning airspeed indicator this one slipped into my strip and turned off at the 550' mark.
Took off in much less.

If that was recent, it was with a stock motor.;-)

Gross weight on a C180H is 2800#, so that one is not quite 2000# empty.
Wow. My 53 with a K engine and some mods weighs 1650-ish.
It might be a very nice airplane, but FWIW I think that one's been on Barnstormers for months now.
There's probably a reason, I'd keep looking.

Heavy EW airplanes fly heavy. Had one. Sold it. Bought a light (1525 ) one. Love it. My useful is 1025.
Lou

Barnstormers shows a Oct. 3 as the published date. I look quite often and do believe its a fairly new listing.

There's not much "wagon" in an 800# useful. I've never been concerned about light as much as I have about load capacity. My 1800# up-grossed 180 has 1390# useful. It had 1000# useful when I bought it. That wasn't enough, especially on floats.

Last week I had a conversation with a STOL competitor friend about airplanes and power. Lighter is better for landings. His focus is power/weight ratio for takeoff. Let's do some math. Obviously these are estimated empty weights. bodies and fuel and the ratios change but it's a good exercise when thinking about performance.
Carbon Cub- 180hp/900#= .20
150hp Cub- 150hp/ 1150#= .13
180hp Cub- 180hp/1250#= .15
Pponk 180- 275hp/1800#= .16
Pponk 180* 275hp/1650#= .17
Pponk 180** 275hp/2000#= .14
Wildcat Cub 225hp/1350#= .17
Wanna drool? 200hp Carbon Cub? 200hp/900#= .23 Wow!

Also interesting is the same exercise at gross weight. my 180 at gross comes in at .09. I don't enjoy that weight and find 3000# to be my "comfort zone" gross, and that ratio is .10. So I can haul 1200# at .10. I'm okay with that. Coincidentally the Wildcat will gross at .10 as well. Fun with math, if you enjoy such things.

Last edited:
That airplane was based here 15 years ago. Owned by airline pilot, has changed hands a few times since then.

Talked to Mark about it today. Still for sale. Pierce seems to think Bill Duncan looked at it and passed. The weight concerns me. It has a ton of avionics and radios. Where does that aux tank go? No way I can get there for about 3 weeks. If it is still available then, we will see.

Anyone know a good pre buy guy in the Sacremento area?

Looks like it has had at least five owners since it was imported in 1995.

Last edited:
There was no mention if it came from the factory as a seaplane. Seaplanes were factory zinc chromated which adds a lot in keeping corrosion at bay. Stretcher door generally indicates it not a seaplane.

. Where does that aux tank go?
The pictures show that it has the stretcher door. Cessna did not provide both the Seaplane kit and the stretcher kit in the same plane. Since this does not have a seaplane kit resale becomes more difficult, thus reducing it's value. The aux tank is on the floor of the baggage compartment. This reduces the size of the stuff that you can put through the baggage door. You can see the filler under the right rear window.

Looks like back to the hunt. I want a solid airframe and engine. The avionics can be changed. I don’t need dual nav comm/ILS/DME, ETC.

Eddie,

Bying a good Skywagon takes patience and persistence all the while being ready to pounce...

Identify your mission(s) and watch... lots of choices and trade offs to make. Light and nimble is fun and if my only aircraft would have been a higher factor for me but that configuration typically has limited range with a big engine, the other end of the spectrum is big engine and plush with long range fuel and there is all points in between. Oh and I’m jaded, because for me it’s only the big engine because time to climb is everything when it’s HOT outside, but for many stock power is just fine, if the birds light.

Mine is a failrly comfortable (has a modest interior), good avionics and 80 gallons useable (I know why, but in a pinch it’s pretty darn handy should your fuel stop have a dead pump or you want to be tactically cheap with your fuel purchases). 36Kilo is a tad heavy (but then again so am I) but even so with four normals on board and full baggage it still carries full fuel or if it’s HOT I can hold it at the tabs and it will still have safe fuel when I just have to stop and at gross it will true out at 138 knots but you deffinately know it’s carrying a load when you get slow on a HOT day. Lighten it up to just me and even with full fuel, like this mornings round trip to Waco and its easy to make 145+ knots true and while not cub-nimble it puts a smile on my face every trip.

Kirby

Last edited:
Talk to 180 owners. Spread the word. Most 180s get sold by word of mouth. The ones the seller's friends don't want get advertised. That's a generalization but there's truth to it. Another thing is to find planes you want and make offers to purchase. Some owners will blow you off but not all. I've had lots of buy offers through the years and have never been bothered by them. No harm in asking. Mine wasn't for sale when I bought it. Heck, for that matter my -12 wasn't for sale when I sold it. Scooter called and asked. You never know what a day holds.

Last edited:
OK everyone. What are the EOW weights on your 180s? When was that last verified on the scales.

1954 C-180. Back seat out, extended baggage, Desser 8.50's, EarthX, updated panel, no vac system, A model engine, stock wing, original gear with single puck Clevelands. Verified on scales in 2016. Empty weight 1525 lbs. 2550 lbs. MTOGW.

Lou

1954 C-180. Back seat out, extended baggage, Desser 8.50's, EarthX, updated panel, no vac system, A model engine, stock wing, original gear with single puck Clevelands. Verified on scales in 2016. Empty weight 1525 lbs. 2550 lbs. MTOGW.

Lou

FMD's 180 is only 30lbs more. 470-L horton stol back seat vac and lead acid battery on 8.00's 1551 after the CGR and 530 Install

Makes me want to reweigh mine. My engine alone is 30 lbs lighter than an L.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back