• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sticky Nose Strut

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
Folks,

The nose strut on our 206 is sticks when in the extended position from time to time. On pavement it is worse than other surfaces. When the plane is static I can push the tail down and get it to stick. To release it I can push the tire back and it will drop.

Curious if there is anything I need to check prior to taking the shock strut apart. I have verified to extended travel (it was too long) and I shimmed it to be within tolerance.

Tim

Is the linkage jamming or is the chrome rod on the strut assembly sticking? Most 'sticky' landing gear struts I've worked with just needed regular cleaning. Extend the strut out and use a rag soaked in 5606 to clean the bugs and grime from the lip of the lower strut seal. Use a Q-tip if needed. It's surprising how much 'stuff' jams up in that seal recess. If you fly a lot, once a week, extend the strut and wipe it down with 5606 as preventive maintenance.

Try the simple stuff like this before you dis assemble the whole rig.

Web

Is the linkage jamming or is the chrome rod on the strut assembly sticking? Most 'sticky' landing gear struts I've worked with just needed regular cleaning. Extend the strut out and use a rag soaked in 5606 to clean the bugs and grime from the lip of the lower strut seal. Use a Q-tip if needed. It's surprising how much 'stuff' jams up in that seal recess. If you fly a lot, once a week, extend the strut and wipe it down with 5606 as preventive maintenance.

Try the simple stuff like this before you dis assemble the whole rig.

Web

Thanks Web,

I pulled the scissor linkage apart and it is working freely. I didn't see anything in the recess under the nut but I will check it again this evening.

Tim

Follow up:

Pulled the strut out. The brass packing ring had a burr on it that I stoned out. I repacked the strut, filled with 5606, and refilled with nitrogen and all is well.

Back