• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying the Mail-Idaho Style

I've done the route with Mike two times in 1987 and 1988 I think. Here are some pic's at a couple of ranches on the South Fork and Warren.
img021.jpgimg022.jpgimg023.jpg

Attachments

• img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 214
  • img022.jpg
    img022.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 210
  • img023.jpg
    img023.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 193
img027.jpgimg041.jpgimg042.jpg

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 210
  • img041.jpg
    img041.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 204
  • img042.jpg
    img042.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 213
A while ago, via / old gray brain cells, I remember about a helicopter pilot landing and helped a hiker in distress , and the helicopter pilot received a big “”fine”” of landing in a Wilderness Area , like the “ Frank Church–River of No Return Wilderness Area .............. ...... So my question is , why is delivering , mailbag of birthday cards is OK, but helping in distress, someone you get a fine........... … .. . good day / rick

Those ranches are private property. I have a friend that built a log cabin for a professor at Monumental Creek on private property. Ray Arnold flew him in and out once in awhile.

Aircraft use ok on designated airstrips or private property in the central Idaho wilderness. 16 +or- forest strips and about the same number of private strips available.

Ford knows how to make friends on those private strips. What's your secret?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I met a range rider/cowboy the other week while camped out at Copper Basin, he had a story about flying into Mile Hi in a 206....but I think it was the guy based out of Challis, not Ray. I delivered solar panels (strapped to the lift struts, free delivery ha ha) to an old boy in Warren a few years ago, and just missed meeting Ray on his mail run. His reputation to the full timers back there is golden.

Ray told me a few weeks ago that he planned to retire this fall. He wanted to work on his J-3 rebuild. I think he has a 12 to rebuild as well. Great guy Ray.

Back