• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

90 hp J3 on EDO 1200's

adammrandall

doylestown, pa
Hello All,
I am new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone is operating a J3 on EDO 1200's. My research shows that the EDO 1350's are much more common, but wanted to see how doable the 1200 floats would be, if at all.

Adam

Welcome Adam, I'm guessing your asking about flat top EDO 1320s and round top EDO 1400 floats? 1320 is the most common J3 float because of a couple reasons. The bottom of each floats has 2 concave bottoms as compared to 2 flat bottoms on the 1400. Concave performance is better then flat. And the flat top on the 1320 are easier to walk on plus a 5 sided float is stronger then the 3 sided round top 1400. Most 1320s were built in the 1940, same timeline as J3 production. 1400 offers a little more floatation but 1320 will beat it off the water at the same weights
IMHO

Glenn

Last edited:
Hi Glenn, thanks for your response. My dad is looking at a Cub and it has EDO 1200's. As you say, the 1320's seem to be the most common float, but I'm trying to figure out if the 1200's are workable. The floats are not mounted, but were on the airplane previously before the restoration.

Hi Glenn, thanks for your response. My dad is looking at a Cub and it has EDO 1200's. As you say, the 1320's seem to be the most common float, but I'm trying to figure out if the 1200's are workable. The floats are not mounted, but were on the airplane previously before the restoration.

Sorry but I never heard of a EDO 1200? Next smaller float I'm familiar with is a EDO 1140

Glenn

If it's smaller than a 1320, it's going to be pretty under floated.

1320s are great floats, but don't have a lot of excess buoyancy.

MTV

Hi Glenn, I think I see where the confusion is. The floats must be 1140's, which allow for a maximum 1200 lbs GW. He must have confused the 2 numbers. I get a lot more hits when googling edo 1140's, so thank you! It sounds like to operate these one needs to be careful in the wind and extra mindful of the loading.

Talking with the older float guys back when I got started they said that the 1140s were the best performing float that was ever used on a J3. I've only seen one floated with them about 10 years ago.

Glenn

Thanks for the input Glenn. I see you are from upstate. I grew up in WNY and we fly the Baron up there often. We also fly into KPBG regularly to visit the ADK's.

I am heading up Saturday to 9G3 to look at this cub..

Back