• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Improved aileron control at low speed. Discussion/solutions?

Yesterday I visited with one of our members who has a nice aluminum spar J-3 with corrosion on aluminum wing tip bows which need repair. He is considering squaring the wing tips with one of the available modifications.

Do any of you know of an approved aileron modification for squared wings which removes the section of aileron which is inboard of the control horn hinge along with the inboard hinge? Then moves this removed section to the outboard end of the aileron. This will retain the original aileron size and shape with the effect of moving the aileron force moment further outboard thus increasing roll authority at low speeds.

This must be FAA approved, either an STC, field approval or something else. It may have been approved on any Cub type long wing. Any ideas??

Sullivan STC squared the wing and lengthened the aileron out to the tip. Dakota Cub sells a wing where the stock length aileron is moved out to the tip of a squared wing and the flap is lengthened to take up the extra space. Probably doesn't help with a J3 but that is what I know of.

Put an ash bow on there, and keep it stock? Keep its value up? J3s fly just fine in stock configuration with a little horsepower boost. Mine flies fine at stall with a little power.

If you mean the spars are corroded at the tip, come to my hangar and I will give you enough spar tips for one wing. I cannot imagine enough corrosion on that part of the spar without having the same problem elsewhere. Dakota makes really good spars for cheap.

How are pacer/tripacer ailerons and rudder interconnected?

The rudder and aileron cables are linked by small sections of cable. The interconnect cables are swaged at each end onto the rudder and aileron cable that should move together. They are visible behind the aft baggage area. In the middle of each interconnect cable is a spring that allows the pilot to overcome the connection.

The rudder and aileron cables are linked by small sections of cable. The interconnect cables are swaged at each end onto the rudder and aileron cable that should move together. They are visible behind the aft baggage area. In the middle of each interconnect cable is a spring that allows the pilot to overcome the connection.

And lots of pacer and tripacer owners loosen up that interconnect so it flies like a real airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This must be FAA approved, either an STC, field approval or something else. It may have been approved on any Cub type long wing. Any ideas??

for -12 wing, sullivan(Day & Night, now Aircraft innovations brand?) also had add LONG flaps(which are made from cub ailerons) then moved ailerons out and shortened them like~13" squaring the wing in the process.... have seen it on -18 wings but not sure who/how...

I vote VGs too. If you dont notice a difference your probably not flying the plane in the profile where they come into play. Simplicity and $, it can't be beat.

Back