• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hands on learning opportunities?

YoungCub907

Hi folks, I'm fairly new to the forum and have been reading through a lot of the rebuild and maintenance post and learning as much as I can because in the next few years I plan on obtaining my PPL and buying or building a SuperCub. I am also interested in possibly becoming an A and P but I'm not in a position to devote myself full-time to a school or assistant job. What I am wondering is if there are any pilots or A/P shops in the Kenai/Soldotna area willing to take me under their wing part time, will work for knowledge! I say part time because I work on the slope. Any suggestions or references would be great! Thank you for your time!

I am also interested in possibly becoming an A and P but I'm not in a position to devote myself full-time to a school or assistant job.

Then put yourself in the position you want to be in. The aviation industry can be difficult as is, and is certainly more difficult if the effort is half-assed. Either you want it or you don't...plain and simple.

What I am wondering is if there are any pilots or A/P shops in the Kenai/Soldotna area willing to take me under their wing part time, will work for knowledge!

Go to the local airports and knock on the doors of the operators - introduce yourself as you have here and see what opportunities are offered.

I agree with knocking on doors and introducing yourself. I spent a couple years down on the peninsula and met quite a few folks in aviation. They are mostly old school and would rather not deal with an email and an electronic application. You will find that most outfits will shake your hand and give you a tour. Ask questions, answer theirs directly and be sure to look them in the eye. Dont pretend that you know sonething you dont. Even if you know something they will know a better way.

Akwing- putting myself in that position is my plan but it's gonna take another year or 2, I'm looking to learn what I can and hopefully help somebody out in the meantime. I'll try door knocking when I get back, thanks for the advise!

Go spend your free time at the local airports. You will meet like minded people and learn a lot as well.

Back