• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 gear on a PA-12

What's involved in swapping the gear on a PA-12? Can it be done with the airplane put together? What's the adjustable length shock strut from Airframes Alaska used for? http://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-12-14-Shock-Struts-p/af1214ss.htm

you will probably have to at least temporarily partially lift floor boards at front fittings to facilitate welding... and pull fabric back....

also some how you will have to support plane, hang it??

also you best do it with the new cabane V installed so it all lines up....(don't ask....)

you will probably have to at least temporarily partially lift floor boards at front fittings to facilitate welding... and pull fabric back....

also some how you will have to support plane, hang it??

also you best do it with the new cabane V installed so it all lines up....(don't ask....)

Lol OK.
That looks doable.

Next question is who makes 1.25 HD gear? I have new wheels and brakes I want to keep.

Without a really good, verifiable reason (not mere opinion) I'd be reluctant to go to -18 gear again. My -12 gear served me well on some fairly rough stuff on 8.50's in SE Ak for 15+ years. After installing -18 gear on my -12 I definitely lost speed and am not really sure of what I gained. Here in Wa I'm no longer needing Ak capability but still, I like the -12 gear.

Opinion.

Ok, "mere opinion".8)

When a very nice -12 that parks next to you has a gear collapse during a very routine landing on an improved gravel strip due to 70 years of use and internal corrosion and takes a bent wing, prop strike, and damages the airframe as a result? You start looking at 70 year old mild steel tube gear a little more critically.

Not all Cub gear conversions on -12s come out exactly the same. Bolting up the cabane prior to welding would spare you from needing a custom cabane because somebody didn't.

Last edited:
When a very nice -12 that parks next to you has a gear collapse during a very routine landing on an improved gravel strip due to 70 years of use and internal corrosion and takes a bent wing, prop strike, and damages the airframe as a result? You start looking at 70 year old mild steel tube gear a little more critically.
Agreed, of course. I should have said "12 style gear". I also had a failure in the cross tube under the bungee truss with a hard landing. There's hard landings, and then there's my hard landings - - :oops: But of course any structure can fail with enough encouragement.

...has a gear collapse during a very routine landing on an improved gravel strip due to 70 years of use and internal corrosion and takes a bent wing, prop strike, and damages the airframe as a result? You start looking at 70 year old mild steel tube gear a little more critically. ....

Don't know what new PA-18 style gear and converting to same costs, but new PA-12 gear would be an easy swap-out and would take away the worry about 70 year old tubing.
Available from Univair @ $1320 per side.

http://www.univair.com/categories/p...=bestselling&category=1285&is_category_page=1

hydrasorb assembly $1050; cabane vee 262 (per side $131), gear leg, all from Univair: $1842 per side.

best reason to switch to 18 gear is if you go on and off floats so you don't have to cut the bungees each time, beyond that I don't know...

Ease of gear conversion and ease of replacing the bungees themselves. Gordon, I'm sure I've asked before (CRS) but do you have vinyl bags or airfoil covers? I went from bags to airfoils and gained about 2 mph.

I am mostly interested in 18 gear for training. I am used to the 12 gear but we're trying to do initial tail wheel and tow-pilot check outs in my 12. Also I plan the occasional trip to the homeland.

Ease of gear conversion and ease of replacing the bungees themselves. Gordon, I'm sure I've asked before (CRS) but do you have vinyl bags or airfoil covers? I went from bags to airfoils and gained about 2 mph.
I made airfoils, and when changing from bags also gained about 2 or maybe even 3 mi/hr.

For me Charlie, the best reason to change to Supercub gear is that you can remove the bungee truss thingies from underneath the seat. Then you can install a Supercub seat and slide it back if you're tall. I'd be in a world of hurt if I had to shoehorn myself into a stock 12 seat distance.

Last edited:
New ears at the gear fittings for the cabane. Give Charly Center a call; he walked me thru the parts I'd need and sent them.

Back