• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FSDOs going away???

The last line leads me to believe that the PMI's will remain? Or at least that's still where we'll have to go to access anything.
John

I heard the same thing - from a fed.

Here is what I don't understand - we are at about 60% of our 1977 operations, and easily have double the number of inspectors. Martha Lunken says we might be at 5x since 1990.

They are inventing things to deal with. Try aborting a takeoff. Do not cross an inactive runway - even one with exes on it - without a clearance. Soon I predict that minor taxiway violations will mean a remediary lecture, with xerox copies of flight review, medical, annual, transponder check, and elt.

They are now missing a biggie - they have moved our instrument hold lines so far from the runway that, about once an hour, somebody holds short of them. That has to be as big a deal as crossing an inactive runway?

With all those guys crammed into a single room in Reno, maybe they will start getting in each others' way?

Last edited:
The GADO (remember?) here has migrated away from a nearby airport into FSDO at a business office park development. The secretary doesn't answer the phone nor return calls. You need to get a special permit to enter the parking lot and a security clearance to enter the building. And that isn't allowed unless you have an appointment. PMI? They never tell you who your PMI is nor whether or not he still works there. Email them a question and you will usually get a response, but not follow through to a conclusion. The only time we know that they still exist is when we see a few of them at the biannual IA meeting. Actually supercub.org is the best source of information when needed. Soooo, I guess that whatever they are up to now won't effect us. It is only something to make them feel good about themselves. Something so that they can say that they have done something.

I read the article and looked at the FAA link, more questions than answers. I avoid the FSDO at all costs, from my responce to them when they were looking for an IA that had listed our airport as his work place because he had not renewed it to their responce and lack of action when I attempted to apply to be a Designated Mechanic Examiner. I was moved several years ago from the Ft Worth FSDO (75 miles) to Lubbock FSDO (over 200 miles) because they didn't have enough to do. Their favorite responce is it is too far to come here. Good.

With the emphasis on ​GOOD !
I'll bet that we could come up with enough "bash the FAA stories" to fill several volumes.

Nothing is really "going away". The FAA is restructuring how their departments and functions operate. It's just new names on the same faces for the most part. Not really earth shaking or game-changing.

I've been calling my pmi for a week. Good to hear they don't return phone calls. Ferry permits are over rated anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... Their favorite responce is it is too far to come here. Good.

Unfortunately, as I understand it your PMI is the one who you go to for field approvals.
Otherwise it's an Oklahoma City show?

I'm not a mechanic but I do know several.
The old PMI for our area used to stop by once every couple weeks.
He was a real good guy, with plenty of experience- used to be the DOM for a couple different part 135 outfits.
In fact, before he got on with the FAA he used to do my annuals.
Very willing to do field approvals as long as they were legit.
I've only seen the new PMI here at the airport once in the two or three years since he took over.
Not sure how knowledgeable he is about GA, haven't heard that he's very open to doing field approvals either.
Too bad.

So, if this centralization means the rules are the same everywhere, does that mean I can now get an external load authorization in SoCal as easily as in Anchorage? 8)

Somewhere a goat is really, really, tired of being abused. . .

Web
Now THAT is funny!

I had a nice visit with an old friend at OSH, who happens to be the Chief of Flight Standards. I asked him how all this was going to work, and he said nothing was finalized yet, except that they are reorganizing. I hope the re-org reduces the BS some, but that's almost never the way re-organizations work in government. I hope this gent has a lot of influence in the process, he's a common sense type.

I didn't want to beat him up over it, partially because he was taking time for "official business" at that moment. Rest of the week he was tent camping with his son and grandsons. He's now a light sport guy, and was asking me how the Basic Med deal worked for me.

i wish there were a lot more like him in FS.

MTV

The old PMI for our area used to stop by once every couple weeks.
He was a real good guy, with plenty of experience- used to be the DOM for a couple different part 135 outfits.
In fact, before he got on with the FAA he used to do my annuals.
Very willing to do field approvals as long as they were legit.

Was that Bill? He was my PMI when I was in B'ham, Ferndale, and Burlington. Great guy!!
John

It was Pat, but Bill was our PMI around here before him.
Both good, common sense guys with a lot of experience.
Pat is now in-house FAA rep at Alaska Airlines, Bill is retired.

Yah, I heard Bill retired. I keep an eye open and expect to see him come dragging in here one day. He is a good guy and had some knowledge behind him.

So the people & places will be the same, they'll just be in new spots on the organizational charts?
Much ado about nothing. Ditto Hardtail's $$ comment.

Back