• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tiedown

External locks on ailerons-flaps and let the elevators float. For high winds and snow loads I'll add external locks on the tail. I like the hook and loop on the seat and stick but only for mild breezes and that's primarily for the ailerons.

I agree with Stewart. For mild climate, take the rear shoulder harness, wrap once around the stick, and secure with lap strap. I now park inside, and rarely tie up to anything.

Do u use a lock on a balanced Cub rudder or just let tail-wheel springs handle side/tail winds?

I tried the round disc type of control lock on the top of the rudder once. I watched the rudder try to twist its top off in the wind so I pitched that lock and have never locked the rudder since. Come to think of it I haven't used a rudder lock on the Cessna since the big storm in 2003, either. Even when I've been tail to the wind it hasn't been a big problem. I could make an external lock for any airplane I own but I just haven't seen the need. Other guys may have different ideas. Bottom line is I'll always try to spin the plane nose to the wind. That eliminates 90% of any gust lock requirements.

I tried the round disc type of control lock on the top of the rudder once. I watched the rudder try to twist its top off in the wind so I pitched that lock and have never locked the rudder since. Come to think of it I haven't used a rudder lock on the Cessna since the big storm in 2003, either. Even when I've been tail to the wind it hasn't been a big problem. I could make an external lock for any airplane I own but I just haven't seen the need. Other guys may have different ideas. Bottom line is I'll always try to spin the plane nose to the wind. That eliminates 90% of any gust lock requirements.

I think its all in where you are and what the conditions are. If our storm winds came from a constant (or even a predictable) direction I likely wouldn't us a lock either but with thunderstorm winds, especially with a cell that is a near miss we often get a BIG direction swing and after having an elevator once flap itself so bad, when the wind switched 90 degrees, that I had to re-bush it I use 6" diameter home made external locks.

I use a foam+plywood gust lock on elevator/horizontal stabilizer, but what's the best solution for the rudder/vertical stabilizer on a cub or none at all? Tail wheel springs enough to dampen a violent gust?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I've seen the fwd balance portion of elevators corroded out from always being tied stick back- either tie stick fwd or make sure you have drain holes in the leading edge of each section of elevator...

Whenever plane is out and unattended, I have gust locks on ailerons and flaps (4) and (1) on elevator/horizontal stab; normally leave the stick alone (neutral). It's a PA-14, so fore & aft seat belts holding it neutral, would be my choice, but maybe try some combination with Velcro to seat and lower panel x-bar?

6f580e92ce651aa23856ca19c85472cf.jpg
6f580e92ce651aa23856ca19c85472cf.jpg
got lucky in PADL on Sunday w/ my 14 in a moderate NE blow (steady 35, gusts peaking @ 49kn. Checked my lines and a Claw 2 feet back from tail, chocks on the wheels. Seemed like it was blowing harder, so back to airport to check again; found the plane turned sideways! The transient tie-down cable buried in the gravel had parted (corrosion?), 1/2 chain and cone still attached and the Claw pulled out on tail! Pulled out my Fly-Ties and doubled up on the wings and they held. My questions are, when tying the tail down, is it better to let the tail fly w/ a longer line, i.e., lowering AOA? How tough are the lifting handles as tie-downs either underneath or 2 off to the sides? I think I'm becoming a belt and suspenders kind of guy. Next addition will be FAD hurricane ties. Are covers with spoilers good (no flapping) and who makes good ones?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Wind warnings are in effect for Anchorage tonight. September weather. Point them to the southeast, guys.

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO5 AM AKDT WEDNESDAY FOR TURNAGAIN ARM AND HIGHER ELEVATIONS
INCLUDING THE LOWER HILLSIDE...

* WIND...Turnagain Arm and Higher elevations...sustained southeast
winds 30 to 50 mph with gusts to 80 mph.
Lower Hillside (~1000 ft)...sustained southeast winds 25
to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph.
Anchorage Bowl...sustained southeast winds 15 to 30 mph
with gusts to 45 mph.

* TIMING...Winds will first increase along Turnagain Arm and
higher elevations this evening. Around midnight winds will come
down the Hillside toward lower elevations. After midnight
southeast winds will come through all of Anchorage. The peak
of the event will be from around midnight tonight through
around 4 AM with gusty winds continuing through the day on Wednesday.

We had one on airport this year that they didn't tie tail down and wind from front push it backwards and then pulled it up on its nose. Big tires. Wind wasn't even that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Never trust a cable coming out of the ground unless you just pounded it in. I get two seasons out of my Duckbills. They usually break in the third season, or are seriously corroded when I inspect them in the inch or so below the surface. I've thought about making some up with stainless cables for my cabin tie down but never followed through. Standard galvanized cable doesn't last as long as some guys (including airfield maintenance guys) think.

PS. Duckbills work great in some soils but not great in rocky soil (can't pound them in) or sand (they pull out, especially if the sand gets saturated with water.)

Last edited:
Spoiler covers work but for me it's counter intuitive to put wing covers on for the wind. I usually take them off to protect the paint from flapping covers, but that attitude may change with my new slatted wings. My spoiler covers are mesh so do little as snow covers but the spoilers do seem to calm the airplane in a direct wind. They don't do anything in crosswinds. Nothing's perfect.

Back