Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 337 for a gun boot

Post Thanks / Like

337 for a gun boot

Does anyone have a copy of a 337 to install a Koplin gun boot on the lift struts? I am thinking of adding one to my airplane. Thanks, Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes mike mcs repair, AKCRUISER liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Airframes makes a nice set of brackets for the gun boot also. You will never have to worry if the bungee will brake of slip off.
    DENNY
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of a 337 to install a Koplin gun boot on the lift struts? I am thinking of adding one to my airplane. Thanks, Tim

Attachment of a gun/scabbard is not considered installed equipment therefore no documentation is required. This also holds for snowshoes, cross country skis, or backpack frame. Game tracking antenna is a minor alteration and requires a logbook entry.

Anything else requires the external load permit. Just obtained my permit from the Fairbanks FSDO. Very easy and straightforward process.

Jeff
    Likes mike mcs repair, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the gun scabbard only an alaskan thing without documentation or can I do it anywhere?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may need a reference if challenged by the FAA in the lower 48, do you happen to know what it is? Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by lowerchena View Post
    Attachment of a gun/scabbard is not considered installed equipment therefore no documentation is required. This also holds for snowshoes, cross country skis, or backpack frame. Game tracking antenna is a minor alteration and requires a logbook entry.

Anything else requires the external load permit. Just obtained my permit from the Fairbanks FSDO. Very easy and straightforward process.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I may need a reference if challenged by the FAA in the lower 48, do you happen to know what it is? Thanks, Tim
    The external load permit is an Alaska thing. Here's the FAA doc covering it. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...N_8900.272.pdf

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim this is something you know about dealing with...ok?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. Down here it's "Don't ask, don't tell." I wouldn't bring it up with the FAA.

MTV
    Likes cubdriver2, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that AC was cancelled in 2015.... trying to push the issue with FSDO if they complain...
    Quote Originally Posted by lowerchena View Post
    The external load permit is an Alaska thing. Here's the FAA doc covering it. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...N_8900.272.pdf

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that AC was cancelled in 2015.... trying to push the issue with FSDO if they complain...
    Yes, but it's still current in that it's still being used by FSDO to file the paperwork and approve external loads for Alaska flown aircraft. I was at a FAA Safety seminar last night and the FAA/FSDO is working on a new external load permit process but they said they are issuing permits under the current, perhaps lapsed, policy. I received mine about a week ago.

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay attention to the part where they state, in writing, that an external rifle scabbard does not fit the definition of a major alteration under FAR 1.1. Until they issue a statement to supercede that it's useful.