Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Good Morning

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning

My pickup veered out of control this morning and ended up in front of my hangar. So, I flew. I watched the sun come up. I flew a circle around our shop where, oddly, crews were getting out just fine without me worrying about every little detail. I flew up a valley. I flew over a lake. I flew down a valley. I watched elk grazing in several different clearings. A bunch of mountains were in full view and looking pretty good.
    Lately, with all the electronic gadgets, hoops to jump through, pilots not looking out the window, medical this, GPS that, more of this, more of that, more and more money for everything, I have to wonder if we're all crazy.
    Maybe not.
    After flying my non electrical Cub with no paint on the cowl for an hour this morning, I remember why it's worth it. No GPS turned on, no one to talk to on the radio, not a soul around.
    Want to follow me too close or cut me off in traffic? God bless you.
    My day got off to a good start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Gray View Post
    My pickup veered out of control this morning and ended up in front of my hangar. So, I flew. I watched the sun come up. I flew a circle around our shop where, oddly, crews were getting out just fine without me worrying about every little detail. I flew up a valley. I flew over a lake. I flew down a valley. I watched elk grazing in several different clearings. A bunch of mountains were in full view and looking pretty good.
    Lately, with all the electronic gadgets, hoops to jump through, pilots not looking out the window, medical this, GPS that, more of this, more of that, more and more money for everything, I have to wonder if we're all crazy.
    Maybe not.
    After flying my non electrical Cub with no paint on the cowl for an hour this morning, I remember why it's worth it. No GPS turned on, no one to talk to on the radio, not a soul around.
    Want to follow me too close or cut me off in traffic? God bless you.
    My day got off to a good start.
    My day started the same way except I saw a couple of bears instead of elk, and I had to listen to the radio for a couple of minutes. Beautiful morning!
    Mike

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    My day started the same way except I saw a couple of bears instead of elk, and I had to listen to the radio for a couple of minutes. Beautiful morning!
    and if it was a clear sky before sunrise did you look EAST to observe a crescent moon and the very bright planet VENUS ??? Capt Cub

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Carey

i know how fortunate I am to have my cub just a few steps from my back door. I try to fly every morning at 430.
    Funny the cell is not ringing and no one looking for me yet. It's the best time of day you don't have to touch the plane after it's trimmed up. Your right I can watch our tractors and trucks head out as well and I didn't have to be there. Hmmm
    th

jim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2221.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	32148B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird69 View Post
    and if it was a clear sky before sunrise did you look EAST to observe a crescent moon and the very bright planet VENUS ??? Capt Cub
    yes I did and appreciated every second

Post Thanks / Like
    Willy, I was up there yesterday and came back this am........in my car. Should have flown. It was a beautiful morning. I took the New London ferry, so it was an easy trip. Met a guy named Chris who works at KTR but also volunteers at Collings.

I didn't get a chance to ask him if he knew the Crow Island guys. We were in the Bull Run and it was VERY LOUD.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Carey

i know how fortunate I am to have my cub just a few steps from my back door. I try to fly every morning at 430.
    Funny the cell is not ringing and no one looking for me yet. It's the best time of day you don't have to touch the plane after it's trimmed up. Your right I can watch our tractors and trucks head out as well and I didn't have to be there. Hmmm

jim

Name:	IMG_2221.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	32148B

Had a similar experience two evenings ago. Was like riding on rails. Had been working on both airplanes all day in terrible heat. Both open cockpit so I took off mostly to dry myself out. Was so great I landed and took the other airplane up too. Looked down feeling sorry for the poor souls tied to the ground.......

Poor me having to decide which airplane to fly

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC3474.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	32149  
    Last edited by n40ff; 07-23-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a picture of the Ragbrai bicycle ride Sunday morning as it went by where I live. This was at Primghar and about 20,000 riders

Name:	20170723_090221.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	32163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_090746.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	32164

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    I took a picture of the Ragbrai bicycle ride Sunday morning as it went by where I live. This was at Primghar and about 20,000 riders

Name:	20170723_090221.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	32163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170723_090746.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	32164
    Some of my friends from around here are there

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very inspiring posts in this thread. 1950s pilots I bet talked about similar subjects and enjoyed flying every bit as much or more than the electronic,plastic, regulated ones do. GOD bless.