Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: PA-12 337's needed

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    PA-12 337's needed

    I need prior approved 337's for a PA-12 on the following items. Finishing up a 6 year long rebuild and cannot find any info on previously installed parts.

    Cleveland 600x6 wheels and double puck brakes

    Scott 3200 tailwheel

    Needs to be a field approval not an STC unless an STC can be purchased.

    Really hate to ask, but this journey has been very trying and the light is shinning at the end of the tunnel finally, but I am held up by these items.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

  2. #2
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    blink, blink???

    really???

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    what gear do you have on your 12

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    what gear do you have on your 12
    18 gear, not sure of the axle size but can find out if needed. Think the gear is atlee.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    start by searching this site with your type certificate number A-780;

    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...e?OpenFrameSet

    or search STC SA02483AK, or SA2NE, for cleveland for your cleveland question,

    SA01063ch for your scott question.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    start by searching this site with your type certificate number A-780;

    or search STC SA02483AK, or SA2NE, for cleveland for your cleveland question,

    SA01063ch for your scott question.
    thanks for the info MT12 and I understand that there are STC's available for these items, but I was told I can't buy just the STC for these two modifications that were previously installed and not documented before I purchased the plane. I will call today and find out for myself to make sure. I've bought all the other STC's that I needed to get the plane in the air, just need to get these few items cleared up. if I can buy just the STC from the holder I will, just thought I could not with these two.
    Last edited by Dynaride; 07-19-2017 at 07:08 AM.

  7. #7
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaride View Post
    .. but I was told I can't buy just the STC for these two modifications that were previously installed and not documented before I purchased the plane...
    find a new IA fast

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    find a new IA fast
    Not an option at this point. This is the 5th guy to work on the plane, I'm done!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to keep in mind, FAA guidance for Field Approvals and DER Approvals is that if an STC exists, we aren't supposed to issue a Field Approval or DER approval. Based on that, you pretty much have to go get the STC from whoever owns it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I overstated my question.

    does anyone have an approved 337 for a Scott 3200 on a PA-12 and/or a 337 for Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on a PA-12 that they would be willing to share?

  11. #11
    Speedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cub Club maintains copies of 337s. I don't know who runs the club nowadays, but maybe someone here can help with h that.
    Speedo

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    The Cub Club maintains copies of 337s. I don't know who runs the club nowadays, but maybe someone here can help with h that.
    thanks Speedo, I have a call into them!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth, WV
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaride View Post
    I guess I overstated my question.

    does anyone have an approved 337 for a Scott 3200 on a PA-12 and/or a 337 for Cleveland Wheels and Brakes on a PA-12 that they would be willing to share?
    Some have quoted CAR4a.477 and used that as the data to install any tailwheel they like on an aircraft that was certificated under the CARs, like the PA12. jrh

    § 4a.477--Wheels. Main landing gear wheels shall be of a type or model certificated by the Administrator in accordance with the provisions of Part 15 of this subchapter and shall not be subjected to static loads in excess of those for which they are certificated. Tail wheels may be of any type or model and are not certificated. Nose wheels are subject to special rulings to be made by the Administrator.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N86250 View Post
    Some have quoted CAR4a.477 and used that as the data to install any tailwheel they like on an aircraft that was certificated under the CARs, like the PA12. jrh

    § 4a.477--Wheels. Main landing gear wheels shall be of a type or model certificated by the Administrator in accordance with the provisions of Part 15 of this subchapter and shall not be subjected to static loads in excess of those for which they are certificated. Tail wheels may be of any type or model and are not certificated. Nose wheels are subject to special rulings to be made by the Administrator.
    Thanks N86250, I passed that info along to my mechanic and he liked it, so we will see how it goes!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  15. #15
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would use this for the tailwheel.
    https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1021446
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have obtained quite a few field approvals, mostly for wheels and brakes. I have never had to use a 337 from another aircraft. They do not guarantee approval.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Utah/Alaska
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tail wheel is a logbook entry only and the wheels can use data from similar aircraft to get a field approval. Sometimes its less headache to use an engineer to get the 8130 from them for the field approval, the 8130 constitutes approved data and you just send in the 337 to OK City.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re: Cleveland wheels and brakes. If you have -18 gear why not use the -18 wheel and brake approval and note a deviation that the gear is installed on a -12 by STC?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Pierce, i'm an IA and use that all the time. Very nice the FAA did that.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    The tail wheel is a logbook entry only and the wheels can use data from similar aircraft to get a field approval. Sometimes its less headache to use an engineer to get the 8130 from them for the field approval, the 8130 constitutes approved data and you just send in the 337 to OK City.
    Just a quick response here, a DER approval will be on Form 8110-3. A Parts tag is a Form 8130-3. I know keeping all the FAA forms straight is a pain in the neck!

    David


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. O-320 rpm help needed
    By i-fly-low in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
  2. 337 Needed
    By kevin in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  3. What is Needed?
    By C-185 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 04:48 PM
  4. cfi needed
    By Lima Charlie in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •