• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L-21 Javron

Thanks. I was thinking centered was the way to go.
This being my first cover I'll probably be asking lots of questions
hope to start on the fuselage this weekend.
Make sure I get those parts Steve

My how Life gets in the way of progress
Vacation, Spring Chores around the Farm, and that Work thing
But I manage to get a few things done here and there

Tail feathers are through second coat of Eco Fill and put up until the next step

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

Upper baggage compartment and rear bulkhead

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

Fuselage cover up next
Fun Fun

Attachments

• IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 472
Yes Sir, life does get in the way but it's worth keeping around. I have the same problem. Your doing nice work on your kit...keep it up!!

Before starting to cover the fuselage I needed a rotatory so off to the scrap pile, and this is what I came up with

IMG_2231.jpg

I'm Working on a position brake but for now the straps hold it in place

IMG_2233.jpg

Bottom skin going on
IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2414.JPG

Started on the sides and hope to get the time this week to continue

IMG_2413.JPG

I see fuselage tapes from minimal to over the top I have searched and can't find any guidance for them or Inspection cover placement
Again I'm sure it is builders choice any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2414.JPG
    IMG_2414.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 435
Add more than they show. Under every pulley, brake masters, rudder pedals anywhere you might need to do WORK. Then only cut them out if you need to do work there.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Add more than they show. Under every pulley, brake masters, rudder pedals anywhere you might need to do WORK. Then only cut them out if you need to do work there.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yep, I put inspection grommets under the brake pedal, a rectangle like Piper did under the rear stick to reach the Aileron's cables and two under the two elevator cable pulleys.
IMG_20180702_172422.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_172422.jpg
    IMG_20180702_172422.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6,596
I also install a grommets where the brake line comes out of the fuselage. Piper used an aluminum fairing there on the later Super Cubs which I cannot locate anywhere so my friends Chris and Tony made me some spares out of carbon fiber off a set of aluminum ones I have for this Super Cub I am rebuilding.
IMG_20180702_173036.jpg

IMG_20180702_173055.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_173036.jpg
    IMG_20180702_173036.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6,321
  • IMG_20180702_173055.jpg
    IMG_20180702_173055.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6,762
Thanks. That gives me something good to go on. I really like the grommet for the brake line
do they have any more that they might let go of?

A thought.... Buy extra inspection covers and paint them when you paint the rest of the airplane then put them aside so if you do need to cut a hole where you have a grommet you will have a cover all ready to go.

Kurt

Starting to look like something

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So do I use a 2 or 3 inch tape down the spine?

sofar so good. Fun fun

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 419
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 585
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.13-1B_w-chg1.pdf

Page 2-9
(5) For an overlapped and doped seam on the perimeter of a wing (except a leading edge), perimeters of wing control surfaces, perimeters of empennage surfaces, and all areas of a fuselage, on aircraft with a Vne speed up to and including 150 mph, overlap the fabric 1 inch and cover with a finishing tape that is at least 3 inches wide, centered on the outside edge of the overlap seam.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.13-1B_w-chg1.pdf

Page 2-9
(5) For an overlapped and doped seam on the perimeter of a wing (except a leading edge), perimeters of wing control surfaces, perimeters of empennage surfaces, and all areas of a fuselage, on aircraft with a Vne speed up to and including 150 mph, overlap the fabric 1 inch and cover with a finishing tape that is at least 3 inches wide, centered on the outside edge of the overlap seam.

Thanks for the reply. Skywagon8a
43.13-1B acceptable methods and techniques and practices. Used when no manufactures guidance is provided
i see the drawing referenced above thanks Steve. Shows 2". I also have an L21 drawing that doesn't specify at least I can't find it anywhere.
Just trying to see what others have done.
Again my first kit lots of dumb questions to come

View attachment 37930 So do I use a 2 or 3 inch tape down the spine?
Measure from the center line of the spine to the edge of the overlap. If it's close to 1 inch you will be happier using the 3" tape as it will blend in smoother with the fabric.

Tape the leading edge of the fin first so that the fuselage spine tape will overlap the fin's tape. Blending the fuselage/fin junction can be a challenge.

Well I think she is covered
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

On to the next phase.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 376
Question for the Stewart System Experts

The latest manual Tells me to cut the E610 EcoBond 3-1 with distilled water and apply over the fabric. I did this with the Tail feathers and am happy with the results.
The manual also says that you can apply EcoFill without EcoBond First ??
From what I have been able to gather this change was made to improve cooler temp. application

All of the videos I have seen go straight to EcoFill

So Do I Don't I?
What have others done?
Any other explanations for this manual change?

wow must not be many Stewart systems users

anyway I went buy the book and got to the second brush on coat of Eco fill
image.jpeg

image.jpg

First Eco bond to fill the weave of the fabric. Brushed on in multiple directions and a very thin coat this stuff will run!
I kept the surface flat until it tacked up

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Eco fill goes on real nice again I kept the surface flat until tacky and moved on
I'm learning as I go and I hope this might help someone

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 372
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 449
First coats have to go on light, or they will for sure run! Furthermore, I've learned the hard way to not depend on flat orientation to accommodate putting the material on heavy. I ran into adhesion issues doing that.

I've found that with Stewart's if I don't try to rush it, it works great. Fortunately EcoFill sands pretty well if (when!) needed.

Question for the Stewart System Experts

wow must not be many Stewart systems users

anyway I went buy the book and got to the second brush on coat of Eco fill
Your first question was for experts. I've used it and like it but am certainly not an expert. I would need to get out the book again when I use it the next time. It's different than nitrate dope on Irish linen which is what I'm used to.

Your first question was for experts. I've used it and like it but am certainly not an expert. I would need to get out the book again when I use it the next time. It's different than nitrate dope on Irish linen which is what I'm used to.

Yup should have used the words Stewart System users.
Maybe I would have a few more responses

going by the book and learning the system. Happy with the results sofar

it's all fun

What a great day!
Looks like I get to start on the cowling this weekend

engine.jpg

Just more Fun

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 356
I need to finish my upholstery project before I move on the the Engine installation

This takes some time but is still fun

IMG_2592.jpg

All Weekend and I just got the back seat together
IMG_2598.jpg

And the harnesses came in this week

IMG_2596.JPG

Now on to the front seat

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 616
Nice job. Those look great! Envious of people with upholstery and sewing skills. Two inherited sewing machines in my shop, need to one day get results half as good as yours. Very nice.

Nice job. Those look great! Envious of people with upholstery and sewing skills. Two inherited sewing machines in my shop, need to one day get results half as good as yours. Very nice.

When I was 17 I made a complete new interior for a car I was given before I even tried to get it running. Luckily my step fathers friend had a boat upholstery shop and gave me a few pointers and ordered the material for me in Naknek. My mom taught me how to sew when I was 5. Only one rule don’t sew over a finger. That was about it. Still have her sewing machine. And a monster fast big singer from the sail boat days.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Sounds familiar. Mom and I made the headliner for my first car, a 53' Buick. The machines I have are her old units. I was a hammerhead when I was younger, results were the most important, learning and remembering how to repeat them 30yrs or so later seemed less important at the time. Mom and Dad are still around, hoping to get them involved in my snail's pace build. Again, very nice stuff avnxtek!

Thanks Jim, Mike (and don't look to close)
i remember doing some projects with Mom when I was young then in the 90s we had a 172C and the seats were falling apart so I got the old machine from Mom and made covers, at that time making them was the only option and they turned out pretty good. Still have that machine also. I found this big machine for this project and I think I could sew plywood together with this thing! And it can be way to fast if you don't watch it. Just like most things Prep,Prep, Prep and patience and you can do it.

and it's all fun

Well got the front seat finished up today

image.jpeg

image.jpg

More fun begins tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 535
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 330