Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 121 to 150 of 150

Thread: L-21 Javron

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right wing is ready for the paint booth
    Left wing is in progress just need to find the time to finish

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	43620

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	43621

    In my spare time I have been wiring up some Avionics


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	43622

    Oshkosh might slow me down a bit but it's all fun
    Likes RVBottomly, stknrddr liked this post

  2. #122
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post

    In my spare time I have been wiring up some Avionics


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	43622

    Oshkosh might slow me down a bit but it's all fun
    I'm envious, nice set up. Looks like this isn't your first rodeo.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  3. #123
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    11,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I'm envious, nice set up. Looks like this isn't your first rodeo.
    on my wish list is one of those magnifying units.....

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    on my wish list is one of those magnifying units.....
    I have been playing with wires on aircraft ever since learning the basics at NAS Millington back in 84
    Be careful with them magnifying things it seems that the more you use them the more you really need them
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  5. #125
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    I have been playing with wires on aircraft ever since learning the basics at NAS Millington back in 84
    Be careful with them magnifying things it seems that the more you use them the more you really need them
    My Dad taught avionics at Millington in the mid 70s.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  6. #126
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. I was im Millington in 83.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the Paint booth together Now I get to spray some Paint
    I seem to have a hard time with dust. I guess I just need to clean better before spraying

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	44422

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	44423

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	44424
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

  8. #128
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    11,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start fan on high an hour before painting, the turn fan down during painting(moves dust before you paint). Fast fan should have moved the dust. Also hang parts vertically or top DOWN(good side)


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you purchase the paint booth?


    Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mike mcs repair;754544]Start fan on high an hour before painting, the turn fan down during painting(moves dust before you paint). Fast fan should have moved the dust. Also hang parts vertically or top DOWN(good side)


    I think I need more fan to do that. The fan I have blows in through the filter. Maybe I should have one blowing out also
    I'll try it

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelair3000 View Post
    Where did you purchase the paint booth?


    Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    shelterlogic.com. This one is 13X20X10.
    Thanks Charlie Longley thanked for this post

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion is to not use a table like that. You will be blowing dirt off the table onto your component. You will never pay as much attention to cleaning the adjacent table as you do the component. Put them on trestles with the edges of the component clear of the trestles. If you do use a table, new paper for each painting session.

    Hanging is better, like Mike said, but might not be all that easy with a temporary booth like that. And then as it bobs around on the wires as you spray the component, it shakes the dirt off the ceiling and onto your job......


    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    Got the Paint booth together Now I get to spray some Paint
    I seem to have a hard time with dust. I guess I just need to clean better before spraying

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	44422

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	44423

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	44424
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    More fun with Paint

    And thanks for the advice I have added another Fan so now I can push 10,000 CFM through the paint booth on Hi and that seems to clear everything out.
    The table is gone and I am trying to paint everything vertical if possible.

    Now I have a Wing in the Booth
    My first go around with the Stewart Paint system Seems to be working for me so far.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0704 (1).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	45056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	45057

    I was thinking of adding another stripe with some color just behind the Black leading edge but the more I look at this the more I want to leave it as is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	45058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	45060
    Likes Cubus Maximus, Sam D, CamTom12, stknrddr liked this post

  14. #134
    Bill Rusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho and Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Posts
    5,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Thanks for posting.

    Bill
    Very Blessed.

  15. #135
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    I was thinking of adding another stripe with some color just behind the Black leading edge but the more I look at this the more I want to leave it as is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	45058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	45060
    I have found that a 1/4" stripe separating the black and white or whatever your two colors are enhances the look, adding about a million bucks to the visual wow value. An alternate method is to leave 1/4" of the base light color separating the dark from the stripe. The third color should be a tone in between the two major colors which sort of softens the difference.

    If you do do this you will be saying to yourself "WOW am I ever glad that I took the extra time!".

    It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference.

    If you look closely at the pictures of my 185 you can just make out the third color which is a light blue. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...mphib-For-Sale
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 10-10-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    N1PA

  16. #136

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress. This weekend Aircraft building sure can take some time.

    Wings are done and have made it to the hangar

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	46583

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	46584

    Working on the fuselage and other parts. Now if I could just figure out how to stripe it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	46585

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	46586

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	46587

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    This build looks great. I like the idea of the portable building as the paint booth. I will need to do something like that myself.

  18. #138

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gordon View Post
    This build looks great. I like the idea of the portable building as the paint booth. I will need to do something like that myself.
    Thanks Adam. The portable building has been working for me just load it up with lights and ventilation. This one is 20’ X 13’ was on sale at the home improvement store. Would be nice if it was bigger, really tight in their moving around the fuselage.

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more progress

    A little color on the fuselage

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39B0660C-2D1E-46BF-874F-722DACAF0673.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	48824

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B18E116F-170E-442C-8FCC-AA755B7A7D74.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	48825

    Before the boot cowl goes back on. The Avionics and behind the panel wiring is done and tested


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33912305-7764-4883-B8D0-6D248C613D30.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	48826

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0ED64464-5F13-42A3-BF3D-FA5CA8BEAEA9.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	48827

    I have a temp plexiglass panel to locate everything and working on this sweet Carbon fiber panel from Randy at Carbon concepts
    got it all cut out now just working on labels

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88A23839-D84D-470F-B8E7-2B4F6C9A2521.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	48828

    and one more thing before the boot cowl Firewall blanket

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A220E094-51C5-4E1F-A3E4-CB16CCF8101B.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	48829

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	568CD3DF-FCE4-4B78-AAB7-184B1DC94A73.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	48830

    so now the engine is back on and I’m working on everything up front

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED40B20A-ED8F-4A11-B7AC-0F90115D0CB6.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	48831

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF3D26D9-6129-4A0D-8DC3-264C6365279B.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	48832

    Hope to start on windows next week and keep moving to the finish line
    Likes stknrddr, CamTom12, Lowrider, Bill Rusk liked this post

  20. #140
    Lowrider
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Idaho Panhandle (ID05)
    Posts
    1,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's real progress and it's beautiful!!

    I have considered a temporary building for painting but I need to build another to house my tractor and associated stuff anyway so I think that will coincide with my need for a paint booth and thanks for the sizing comments. I was going to do a 16' x 24' but 20' wide is a better size I think. This idea will go a long way to convincing my wife I need another building. She has this silly idea I can just paint in the shop. Might even convince her we need heat in there too.

    Thanks Sky for the "pin stripe" idea!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

    There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

  21. #141
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    11,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    . This one is 20’ X 13’ was on sale at the home improvement store. Would be nice if it was bigger, really tight in their moving around the fuselage.
    My booth area is only 10’ x 22 useable.

  22. #142

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more step closer
    Panel is in and checked out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECE1DC6C-A92B-4CAE-A12B-812AB4AAED7E.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	49099
    Likes CamTom12, Bill Rusk, Sam D, Alanfrease liked this post

  23. #143

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I like aluminum fittings and used them 100% on my Cub. Piper used rubber hose with a clamp on each end. If the clamp isn't tight there is the possibility of a leak. Rubber hose can deteriorate so when the connection is in a blind area there will always be some doubt.

    100% aluminum fittings? How did you hookup the tanks and sight guages? Got any pictures

  24. #144
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    100% aluminum fittings? How did you hookup the tanks and sight gauges? Got any pictures
    This is what I have.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMITHCUBPetes022.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	49100 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMITHCUBPetes040.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	49101

    That was a poor choice of color for the background plate on the fuel gauges. I just grabbed a rattle can off the shelf. One of these days I'll slip something lighter behind the sight tube. The tube is just a length of plastic tubing from the hardware store.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 05-27-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    N1PA

  25. #145

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post

    That was a poor choice of color for the background plate on the fuel gauges. I just grabbed a rattle can off the shelf. One of these days I'll slip something lighter behind the sight tube. The tube is just a length of plastic tubing from the hardware store.
    Thanks

    I have actual sight gauges from Javron. I'll probably have to use a couple of AN842's with a piece of hose or something like that.
    Looks like you have AN822's in the tank Do the lines go directly to them or do you have a shorter piece of tubing between the tank and fuselage?

  26. #146
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too have the sight gauges from either Javron or TCOW. These are new never used if anyone is interested. My kit was made by both companies, so I'm not sure where the fuel gauges came from. No matter, I could not get them to fit to my satisfaction so elected to go with the clear tubing, keeping it attached to the wing. In lieu of an interior panel I used clear plexiglass. The fittings in the tank are AN840.

    The fuel feed lines are hard connected to the tank. There is a long (either 4" or 6" ??) brass nipple screwed into the tank. An AN916 elbow is connected to the nipple, then an AN816, An818 and AN819 to the flared tubing. No rubber hoses at all.

    With the clear plexiglass interior panel I can see everything at any time so there will be no surprises.
    N1PA

  27. #147

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I too have the sight gauges from either Javron or TCOW. These are new never used if anyone is interested. My kit was made by both companies, so I'm not sure where the fuel gauges came from. No matter, I could not get them to fit to my satisfaction so elected to go with the clear tubing, keeping it attached to the wing. In lieu of an interior panel I used clear plexiglass. The fittings in the tank are AN840.

    The fuel feed lines are hard connected to the tank. There is a long (either 4" or 6" ??) brass nipple screwed into the tank. An AN916 elbow is connected to the nipple, then an AN816, An818 and AN819 to the flared tubing. No rubber hoses at all.

    With the clear plexiglass interior panel I can see everything at any time so there will be no surprises.
    Ok I see what you have sounds like that would work.

    Thanks for the info

  28. #148

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun with some windows, Autopilot Servos, and we are on Gear for the first time.
    Soon I'll be heading to the Airport Hangar to put wings on.

    Anyone know A DER close to Michigan ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1042.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	50372

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	50373

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	50374

  29. #149
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avnxtek View Post
    Anyone know A DER close to Michigan ?
    Look here for starters. https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...ind_designees/
    N1PA

  30. #150

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine used a guy out of Detroit area. I nice guy I will see if I can get you a name and number tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. Building a Javron Cub
    By Bill Rusk in forum Member Projects in Progress
    Replies: 2220
    Last Post: 04-13-2020, 11:19 PM
  2. New Javron Build
    By flyanozira in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
  3. Jasperfield's Javron
    By Jasperfield in forum Member Projects in Progress
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
  4. Ron Building Javron Cub 1
    By ron cope in forum Member Projects in Progress
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-25-2015, 05:31 AM
  5. Who is building a Javron Cub?
    By Jasperfield in forum Experimental Cubs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •