Thread: Leading edge cuff with slats?

Post Thanks / Like

Leading edge cuff with slats?

I am looking at maybe purchasing a experimental Cub variant that has a leading edge cuff installed and I am wondering if anyone has installed leading edge slats to a experimental Cub with a cuff already installed? Is this even possible/feasible? If it is and it works what improvements did this combination do? Thanks!
    Thanks terryhall thanked for this post
    Likes C-FIJK, Flying Bee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is feasible. The slats are going to improve upon what the cuffs are already helping.
    They do not improve the low speed performance in the same way, the cuff changes the original airfoil shape to one with greater high angle performance.
    The slats delay flow separation by accelerating the airflow over a section of the wing to delay/reduce boundary layer separation.

I would get a baseline of what the current wing does. Consider adding VGs and see if that brings the wing to your desired performance. If you have not achieved your goal then slats should get you there.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process
    Thanks Steve's Aircraft (Brian), cook11 thanked for this post
    Likes Steve's Aircraft (Brian), cook11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn;'t you need to reposition and reshape the slats to perform correctly and conform with the revised leading edge shape??

Post Thanks / Like
    The slats would need to be designed for that wing. I am sure some slat that exist in production will work but each application needs to be engineered so the system functions properly.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine in Alaska has the Crosswind STOL cuff on his cub and a slat over that. It works very well with no extra over thinking it or anything. Backcountry Cub made his slat brackets custom cut out to fit over the cuff. VG's 1" behind the slat. I think the cuff may help smooth out the void under the slat . I have slats but not the cuff on mine.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of
    that comes from bad judgment. will rodgers

"Anyone who would give up liberty for safety deserves neither" Ben Franklin
    Thanks cook11 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, WanaBNACub, cook11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gpepperd View Post
    Friend of mine in Alaska has the Crosswind STOL cuff on his cub and a slat over that. It works very well with no extra over thinking it or anything. Backcountry Cub made his slat brackets custom cut out to fit over the cuff. VG's 1" behind the slat. I think the cuff may help smooth out the void under the slat . I have slats but not the cuff on mine.
    That sure would be interesting to see pictures of that assembly...and be able to compare flying characteristics of that cuffed/slatted wing v/s Wayne Mackeys slatted non-cuffed wing.
    Interesting subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting information guys. I assumed that the slat would further improve the cuffs function. With the addition of Keller flaps and VG's it should potentially make for interesting slow speed flying.
    Likes 8856Charlie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The question is whether the combination improves slow speed flying. Let us know!