• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-90 Dipstick

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
Okay you Continental experts, here's a conundrum I've discovered:

The C-90 type certificate says full oil is 5.4 quarts. The C-90 overhaul and service manual says the C-90 full oil level is 5 quarts.

My C-90, and at least two others I've checked recently, are equipped with a dipstick which is marked with 4 quarts-Full.

And, if I change the oil, adding five quarts, the level on the dipstick comes up to about one quart higher than the "4 Quarts-Full" mark on the dipstick.

So, the questions:

1. Why does the TC differ from the Overhaul/ maintenance manual in regard to full oil quantity?

2. Do I have the wrong dipstick in my engine?

3. If it's the wrong dipstick, what engine is it from?

4. Can I legally just mark this dipstick with "Five Quarts" mark?

MTV

Mike the caps have gotten switch over the years. Next time you change the oil mark the stick with a center punch after adding each quart. Most of us only fill to no more the 3.5 qts and add when it gets down to below 2.75 qts. Most little C engines will blow oil out above 3.5 qts

Notice my high mark is 3.5

Easy to replace parts, depress and a little twist

Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn,

It seems to run fine at five quarts. Doesn't seem to blow any more through the breather than it does at 3.5. where I ran it till I was chided by my friendly local IA for not running enough oil......

MTV

Glenn,

It seems to run fine at five quarts. Doesn't seem to blow any more through the breather than it does at 3.5. where I ran it till I was chided by my friendly local IA for not running enough oil......

MTV

You should fly around at 3 for an hour or two, it might not use any

Glenn

MTV,

Re-calibrate your dipstick on your next oil change. I would put as much oil in the kidney tank (sump) as it will hold. Why would you run an air/oil/fuel cooled engine with any less than maximum oil quantity? Just an old Gear Head talking.

MTV,

Re-calibrate your dipstick on your next oil change. I would put as much oil in the kidney tank (sump) as it will hold. Why would you run an air/oil/fuel cooled engine with any less than maximum oil quantity? Just an old Gear Head talking.

You Lycoming guys wouldn't understand.

Glenn

Mike,

Being the 'younger pup' here but having spent many years working on motors and different equipment, I have found that the 'crusty old' mechanics have as varying opinions as everyone else. What one says might be the complete opposite of what the next one says. They have all had experiences that set them in there ways and I find the happy medium is somewhere in between. Run it the way it works best for you and if that means running it at 3.5 quarts, do so. But if you need to bring it to Mr. Crusty for any reason, quickly pour in that additional quart and half before he shows up. :) The way I look at it, you're not being 'green' by throwing that excess oil over board, plus, you'll have to just wash it off the plane.

I was questioned about the oil level on my Champ many years ago by the DPE, with him saying the level was low. He must have excepted my reasoning of it blowing out when ever I put it to the top level, since he gave me my SES rating.

There's a variety of oil sumps and oil gauge rods listed in the Parts Manual. I assume it's spec'd by the airframe manufacturer who installed the engine, but ???

There's usually a P/N stamped on the rod/dip stick and on the mating flange of the oil sump.

Here's a listing of of Continental specs and P/N's for the rods and sumps.

Gary

Attachments

• 2011 C-85 Parts Manual.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,725
  • Continental SIL00-7A Oil dipstick specs.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 717
What oil pressures and oil temps are you guys seeing on your C-90 powered Cubs? I know it depends on OAT's, but what are you guys seeing?

Pat

It also helps on blow by if you take the crankcase vent elbow off and sweat solder a extension to the inside. I did it to my 0-200 and it helped a lot

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Be careful on the length of the extension. Don't have the dimensions handy but did mine and it indeed helped but did not eliminate it.

2 3/4" if you google it there is several sights to tell how to modify and a place to buy one

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Reviving an old thread here. We have a J3 in the flight school with a C90 in it. The oil caps keep coming off in flight (especially after a bouncy landing). We've switched to a newer cap which really is hard to put on and is really tight - but the same problem. Some have suggested that the filler neck is worn out and thus the whole sump needs to be replaced.

Any other options / thoughts / appreciated!

sj

Back