• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Javelin V6 STOL

H.Bluetooth

Wyoming
:wink:

I have the option to purchase a near-completed V6 and the support from my friends who know how to wrench and torch... According to the specs these things are hotrods and it may be worth the hours remaining in this particular project for me to use it here in the west on wheels and up in AK on floats.

I have questions for anyone who knows anything about these airplanes.. Does anyone here know a current or previous owner of one?

Thanks.

The experiential rules have change from the days when Dave Blanton sold V6 stol plans . If it was it built by stretching a PA22 fuselage and wings you will not be able meet the current 51% rule for EAB aircraft .
Make sure your ok with this before you buy it.
Doug

I would hope you like to "wrench" because you will likely be doing more of that than flying. I doubt if there is much support for the V6 conversion anymore? Ditto on the certification issues, you will not be able to license it as E-AB. Do a search and you will find comments about how much better one flew after installing a Lycoming. I'm a homebuilder and have completed two E-AB since 2011. I personally would stay away from one of these. YMMV.

Jack

I looked long and hard, and my buddy built one. Decided on Lycoming 0360 Bushmaster; haven't regretted it.

I talked to a guy who built one and he had constant overheating problems. He wouldn't dare sell it with the V6 in it. If it already has the EX airworthiness it should be good to go but will need another 25hr fly off after the change of power plant.
I see you mentioned "near complete" so it probably is not yet certified EX. Yes getting that past the 51% rule may be problematic if it is a stretch as the original Blanton plans called for.

I would never consider anything with an automotive engine conversion. I've seen Subarus, Corvairs and various V-8's. They all had overheating and longevity issues. They were never designed to operate continuously at such high power levels. Car motors don't work on airplanes.

I'm sure there are exceptions but most of the auto conversion - powered aircraft I've seen did a lot of sitting and had owners who had limited aviation experience/knowledge and loved tinkering more than flying. Personally I would steer clear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

One of the former members of our now defunct EAA chapter was (I think) a retired Boeing engineer or similar.
He built a "Pegazair" (think taildragger Zenith 701) with as I recall a turbo'd Suzuki engine.
He talked a lot about the FADEC system etc he was putting in it, but as far as I know he never got it flying.
Nor did he really seem to want to.
It was 95% done and had been that way for years,
as he kept finding reasons to go back and re-engineer or rebuild stuff he'd already finished on it.
Loved tinkering, but didn't seem to have any interest at all in flying.

When Blanton was developing that engine conversion I remember seeing the test mule flying around the Wichita area. It was an old straight tail C172. Sure was ugly with the temporary cowl. There is simply no way to make those engines blend in with any airframe, like trying to gift wrap an elephant.

Back