• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

-12 tail x brace

AClarke

Can't find any info on the tail section fuselage "X" brace mod that I've seen in Pics of 18's and 12's. Is the x brace done via field approval, if so what data is used for the 337?

Thanks

Adam

For the PA 12 it is the 1935 gross weight increase STC---I think that's what you talking about???

Hey Adam: here's a link to FA Dodge's tail beef up, no STC and not PMA'd, just a simple log book entry as a minor alteration. Easy to do on your own while the fuselage is opened up. Marty is right too, it is included in the gross weight increase so if you are doing that you don't need to double do it with this.

http://www.fadodge.com/tail-brace-beef-up/

doug

Thks guys, I would like to do the 1935 gross while the fuselage is stripped, looks like the Atlee Dodge piece would be an easy solution...

Don't confuse the tail brace with the GW increase, all the tail brace does is keep the longerons from tweaking. The gross weight increase bumps you up to 1935#. I put it into the project I am about to finish, and can't hardly wait to fly it. I have float fittings, floats and the Dakota Cub 24 gallon tanks so will no doubt be needing the extra GW-I'm glad to have it.. Since I had univair put it in the fuselage when they were building it, it was no big deal. you lose the old battery box door possibility with cross tubes which is no big deal for me as I went to an Odyssey battery under the back seat (I didn't want the battery any farther forward to keep the CG in line). photos here: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...12-rebuild-my-Phoenix-story&highlight=phoenix

doug

The Atlee Dodge H brace needs a field approval to weld in place according to my conversation with Atlee this morning. What data is everyone using to support the 337 paperwork?

Adam

what's everyone's thoughts on the gross weight increase? have heard mixed opinions on the mod.

So thoughts on the GW increase:

- In my case, and from what I'm told, most others, additions and mods during recover/rebuilds eat up most of the GW increase......no particular increase in useful load
- It makes little or no sense NOT to do the GW increase if you're recovering / rebuilding....just don't expect a magical extra 200# in useful load;
- 12's ain't 18's.......with all the '18 mods that go onto 12's, you'll need the GW increase, but you still won't have an -18
- All modded up and GW'd up, the -12 doesn't feel the same as before all that work. In my case, it is much nicer and probably more "util", but it's not as light on the controls, and while it flys much better when it is light....it can't get as light as before.
- ^^^^ Regarding the above, make no mistake, the plane still flys better than I can take advantage of, but it's a bit more work, even just putzing around....although that will sound silly to a 185 or Beaver Driver
- The mods that I added during rebuild that I really like: Flaps, VG's, VG's, AOSS "gear" (there's lighter options out there that are as good, but I really like these), cabin heat (for the pax....), lots of plexi, Atlee tie-down rings, old man lifting handles.
- Big tanks are a must-have for the modded, heavier 12's
- Questionable mods: Left side door, baby bush wheel TW, probably overdosing on both engine and flight instruments for a -12.

Back