• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MI to AK

streetreamer

Keweenaw, MI
My friend Rob in his Rans, and I in my pa12, will be departing to Alaska next Friday for one month. Im coming up with a list of stuff I'll need for flying, camping, hiking, and fishing. Im looking for suggestions on what to add or take away. Ive weighed almost everything and Im around 150 lbs without food or extra fuel.

Ruck sack
assault pack (smaller backpack)
camel back
gore tex rain gear tops and bottoms
xtra tuffs
hiking boots
shoes
hoodie
jacket
wool flannel
silk long johns tops and bottoms
waffle cold weather long johns tops and bottoms
shorts
2 pants
boonie cap
bug net
7 tshirts
7 socks
7underwear
towel
laundry bag
20 oz of laundry detergent
gloves
winter hat
garbage bags and ziplocks to keep important stuff dry
shower shoes
shower bag with soap, razors, etc

Tarp for sleeping under
mosquito net for over cot
tarp for portable sauna (we're of Finnish heritage and love our saunas)
metal basket to heat rocks in campfire for sauna
metal bucket to heat water for washing
2 sleeping bags, 1 to use as pad if its warm
1 gore tex sleeping bag cover matches one above bag.
pillow
cot
chair
pot
pan
french press for coffee
thermos
RTIC cooler (30 pounds but works amazingly well)
burner propane
burner av gas
dryer vent tube for preheat
bear fence, battery, energizer, wire, and poles
a few tupperware bins for storing everything
gold pan

Inflatable boat and paddle 30 pounds
pull cord life jacket
fishing pole
tackle

Fiskers axe
hand saw
brake fluid
fabric glue and fabric
tire kit
tire pump
oil filters
safety wire
zip ties
oil hose and cake pan
empty jug
claw tie down
2 empty gas cans
2 empty fuel bags
channel locks
1/4-9/16 sockets
1/4-3/4 wrenches
spark plug wrench

knife or two
compass
Garmin inreach
fire starters
pistol .44 mag chest holster
rifle .444 lever
bear spray
passport
cards in wallet
helmet
headset

VEST
bandages
bandaids
splint
tape
burn cream
epipens
advil
benadryl
pepto bismol tablets
water tablets
emergency blanket
mirror
bug spray
some other medical and survival stuff

Ipad mini
phone
solar usb charger
3 battery usb chargers
flashlights
headlamp
360 camera
go pro
canon rebel

Im sure that ive missed some things and i may remove some items as im packing it into the plane as I decide it's not that necessary. Im used to roughing it and could go for a month with just a lightly packed rucksack but since I have room... Im planning on kind of roughing it still. No tent, just a tarp over me and a cot under me. If the bugs are bad, I have a bug net that I can tie over my cot with a couple sticks or wear it like a blanket. Im hoping to spend the majority of the nights outside feeling the breeze and if it's nice, looking up at sky.

Pistols are restricted in Canada so unless you've convinced the authorities to permit you in the provinces you'll be flying thru best drop that from your list. Where in Alaska are you planning on going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything over a 4.1 inch barrel is ok if you fill out the three part form 5589 and notify them before touchdown that you're bringing in guns from what I understand. Am I wrong? I was going to call them before I take off. We're going to the Wrangell St Elias area around Mccarthy and branching out from there for about a week and a half, then over to Cordova to Sitka and then towards Haines. I have friends in the valley so I will be ditching rob for a few days to meet up with them. We figure we'll have a little over two weeks in Alaska, and the rest is travel time. Our trip back we are planning 7 days and if we're early we will spend some time out in Montana where Rob had learned how to fly.

I never wore a bug net before so why start now. I didn't think about the light. Makes sense. haha. Does anyone have a good recommendation of a misc hardware bag? I was going to just throw some screws in a zip lock.

Real pilots don't need no stinking underwear!! Sat phone!!!!!! Delorme or spot. 1 bag add underwear and hat if needed. you can get fuel at McCarthy Ak if you set it up ahead of time!! Well worth the effort!! Check PM.
DENNY

Like Denny said, have you set up an account in McCarthy yet? If not, you won't be able to get fuel there.

As for the fishing pole, it might be worth bringing two - one for salmon-sized fish and another for smaller fish like grayling. Of course, that depends on where you go.

The sheet says under 18" not ok for shotguns. I'm pretty sure you can take a pistol but I will update everyone once I talk to them. The sheet clearly says you can. I recently watched the AOPA webinar about flying to alaska and the guy on there also said you can't take a pistol. I still think you can.

I am in the midst of my second "summer in Alaska" trip. I too spend most of my time in the SE. Here is my input. Just my opinion and all that.....

Ruck sack
assault pack (smaller backpack)
camel back - Don't need. Just a bottle of water will be fine
gore tex rain gear tops and bottoms
xtra tuffs - Don't need
hiking boots
shoes
hoodie- nope
jacket
wool flannel - won't need
waffle cold weather long johns tops and bottoms - don't need, or don't need both silk and waffle. One or the other. June is not all that cold. Cool but not cold
shorts - I doubt you will wear them
2 pants - Total. Wear one , pack the other
boonie cap - either a ball cap, or this one, but not both.
bug net
7 tshirts - need 4. Wear one, pack 3 you will not change clothes every day, ya think so but that is not what happens
7 socks - total 4 see above
7underwear see above
towel
laundry bag
20 oz of laundry detergent
gloves - won't need other than for camp chores
winter hat - stocking cap/ beenie or watch cap whatever you call it
shower shoes - don't need

Tarp for sleeping under - I think you are making a mistake here. You could easily spend several days in constant rain. And depending on where you are the bugs can be bad. A tent can be a lifesaver. I tried the tarp only thing once. But if you have done this before and really know what you are getting into.......if there is any wind it will blow the rain into you. Remember the rain can last several days non-stop.
mosquito net for over cot
tarp for portable sauna (we're of Finnish heritage and love our saunas)
metal basket to heat rocks in campfire for sauna
metal bucket to heat water for washing
2 sleeping bags, 1 to use as pad if its warm - Only need one - down to about 30 degrees. If colder sleep in long johns. A colder bag will be too warm and you will sweat. Recommend poly bag not down. If down gets wet it is useless and you said you will be in the SE a lot. It is all wet and water in the SE.
pillow
cot
chair
pot
pan
french press for coffee
thermos
RTIC cooler (30 pounds but works amazingly well)
burner propane
burner av gas
dryer vent tube for preheat - During your time frame (unless you plan to be at high altitude) it will not get below 32 at night much, if at all.
a few tupperware bins for storing everything
gold pan

Inflatable boat and paddle 30 pounds
pull cord life jacket
fishing pole
tackle

Fiskers axe
hand saw
brake fluid
fabric glue and fabric - don't need. Take some duct tape
tire kit
tire pump
oil filters
safety wire
zip ties
oil hose and cake pan - go to a city (like Juneau) - find a local mechanic to change oil. You will not be doing this in the wilderness. Don't need to change oil every 25 hours when flying the airplane several hours every day. I use 50 hour intervals. During a long (several month) trip like this I have a "maintenance day" with a local mechanic. I do most of the work with his tools and supervision, parts, rags, etc. Pay him accordingly.
empty jug
claw tie down
2 empty gas cans - either cans or bags, will not need both
2 empty fuel bags
channel locks
1/4-9/16 sockets
1/4-3/4 wrenches
spark plug wrench

knife or two
compass
Garmin inreach
fire starters
pistol .44 mag chest holster - You will not get this through Canada without MASSIVE headache. Even if you think you have found a "loophole" the little guy out in the field believes it is against the regs and he will cause you great grief, delay, and quite possibly the loss of the firearm. You may be right but it won't be worth the hassle trying to educate the entire Canadian Customs agency.
rifle .444 lever - 18" barrel minimum
bear spray - Buy after you get there. Do not carry in the airplane!!
passport
cards in wallet
helmet
headset

VEST
bandages
bandaids
splint
tape
burn cream
epipens
advil
benadryl
pepto bismol tablets
water tablets
emergency blanket - recommend a heavy duty contractor trash bag. Works better, multiple uses. Have experience here.....
mirror
bug spray

Ipad mini
phone
solar usb charger
3 battery usb chargers
flashlights - Don't need. Use the headlamp but take two headlamps. One in survival vest, one in camping bag.
headlamp
360 camera
go pro
canon rebel

On my first trip I overpacked massively. After the first month I sent a huge box back home. Here is a link to last years thread, also with packing lists.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?50420-Floats-to-Alaska-2016

Thank you for posting your list. It is helpful for others. Also these are just my opinions and everyone is different. Do what works for you, but hopefully I have given you (and others) something to think about. I will be in the SE in June, back in July, Aug, and finish up in Sept. Send me a PM. Maybe we can meet up or I can offer other ideas and inputs.

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
If you manage to get a handgun through Canada please post exactly how you did it to help the rest of us. I would love to be able to transport a handgun on my trips.

Thank you

Bill

Thanks for the replies and pm's. It is giving me a bit to think about. I've been able to add a couple things and subtract a lot of things. If I decide on taking the pistol it'll only be after talking with the customs folks at the entry point I'll be using.

The form for restricted firearms has to be pre-approved. You must send it to the province firearms officer for the province where you will enter. That approved form and 50 loonies and you are golden.

Read the rules for transporting in canada.

FIREARMS ALLOWED, RESTRICTED AND PROHIBITED

Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

My friend Rob in his Rans, and I in my pa12, will be departing to Alaska next Friday for one month. Im coming up with a list of stuff I'll need for flying, camping, hiking, and fishing. Im looking for suggestions on what to add or take away. Ive weighed almost everything and Im around 150 lbs without food or extra fuel.

Ruck sack
assault pack (smaller backpack). NO
camel back. NO. 1 QT WATER BOTTLE SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT
gore tex rain gear tops and bottoms.
xtra tuffs NO, WEAR THE HIKING BOOTS
hiking boots
shoes NO. WEAR THE HIKING BOOTS
MOCASSINS - GREAT FOR WEARING IN THE CABIN OR AROUND A DRY CAMP SITE, AND THEY PACK EASILY. MUCH BETTER THAN TENNIS SHOES
hoodie. I'VE TRIED SEVERAL TYPES, INCLUDING EXPENSIVE POLARTEC FLEECE VARIETIES, AND I KEEP COMING BACK TO THE HEAVY CARHARTT HOODIE
jacket NO, BETWEEN YOUR HOODIE, SHIRT, T-SHIRT, LONG JOHN TOP, AND WOOL FLANNEL YOU'LL HAVE ENOUGH LAYERS
wool flannel
waffle cold weather long johns tops and bottoms NO
shorts NO
2 pants
boonie cap
bug net PROBABLY WONT NEED IT, BUT YOU'LL BE REALLY GLAD YOU HAVE IT IF YOU DO NEED IT
7 tshirts 5 NOT 7, GET UNDERARMOR OR SIMILAR. EASY TO WASH AND THEY DRY QUICKLY
7 socks. RECOMMEND WOOL, ESPECIALLY THE "EXPEDITION WEIGHT" VARIETY FROM REI.
7underwear 5 NOT 7
towel
laundry bag
20 oz of laundry detergent NO, GET IT WHERE YOU DO YOUR LAUNDRY
gloves MECHANIX OR SIMILAR
winter hat KNIT BEANIE SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT
shower shoes NO

Tarp for sleeping under. VISQUEEN WILL DO. DON'T NEED A CANVAS TARP
mosquito net for over cot IN A BAD MOSQUITO YEAR, A GOOD NET WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GETTING SOME DECENT REST AND BECOMING A HOMICIDAL MANIAC
tarp for portable sauna (we're of Finnish heritage and love our saunas) NO
metal basket to heat rocks in campfire for sauna SERIOUSLY?
metal bucket to heat water for washing NO. USE YOUR COOKING POT
2 sleeping bags, 1 to use as pad if its warm JUST ONE
pillow NO. USE YOUR HOODIE OR OTHER BULKY CLOTHES
cot NO. THERMAREST INFLATABLE PAD INSTEAD
chair
pot
COFFEE CUP
pan NO. USE THE POT
french press for coffee NO. DRINK INSTANT COFFEE
thermos NO
RTIC cooler (30 pounds but works amazingly well) NO NO NO NO NO
burner propane NO. THE AVGAS STOVE IS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT
burner av gas
dryer vent tube for preheat WONT NEED IT. IT'S SUMMER
a few tupperware bins for storing everything. NO. USE ZIPLOC BAGS. DEFORMABLE STORAGE DEVICES FIT INTO NOOKS AND CRANNIES, HARD ONES DONT.
gold pan

Inflatable boat and paddle 30 pounds. NO
pull cord life jacket NO
fishing pole
tackle

Fiskers axe
hand saw
brake fluid JUST A FEW OUNCES. REMEMBER, YOU CAN GET MORE EN ROUTE IF NEEDED
fabric glue and fabric CONSIDER REPLACING THIS WITH A ROLL OF GOOD DUCT TAPE (MORE VERSATILE)
tire kit
tire pump
oil filters ONE, MAYBE TWO IF YOU'RE DOING CHANGES AT 50 HOURS
safety wire
zip ties
oil hose and cake pan
empty jug NO. MOOCH THIS WHERE YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL
claw tie down
2 empty gas cans. NO, NOT IF YOU'RE BRINGING FUEL BAGS, TOO.
2 empty fuel bags PROBABLY NOT NECESSARY. YOU'VE GOT 60 GALLONS OF FUEL - ROUGHLY SIX HOURS WORTH.
channel locks
1/4-9/16 sockets ONLY THE SOCKETS THAT YOUR PLANE ACTUALLY NEEDS
1/4-3/4 wrenches DO YOU MEAN SOCKET DRIVES? IF YES, A 1/2 DRIVE AND A 6" EXTENSION IS SUFFICIENT
spark plug wrench DO YOU MEAN SOCKET?
ASSORTED FASTENERS
PHILLIPS AND STRAIGHT SCREW DRIVER
ALTERNATOR BELT (MAYBE)
OIL - 2 OR 3 QUARTS (YOU'LL BUY OIL FOR OIL CHANGES EN ROUTE)

knife or two
compass
Garmin inreach
fire starters
pistol .44 mag chest holster NO, RIFLE WILL BE SUFFICIENT
rifle .444 lever. 10 - 20 SHELLS SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT
bear spray
passport
cards in wallet
helmet
headset
CHARTS
MILEPOST (MAYBE)

VEST
bandages
bandaids
splint. NO. IF YOU REALLY NEED A SPLINT YOU CAN FASHION ONE FROM A STICK. STICKS WILL BE READILY AVAILABLE
tape NO. USE YOUR DUCT TAPE
burn cream
epipens ONLY IF ONE OF YOU IS SUBJECT TO ANIPHYLACTIC SHOCK. NOT MANY STINGING INSECT IN AK
advil AND ASPIRIN
EYE DROPS (YOUR EYES WILL GET REALLY DRY, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S SMOKEY)
benadryl
pepto bismol tablets
water tablets
emergency blanket
mirror
bug spray 100% DEET. LOWER CONCENTRATIONS ARE INEFFECTIVE
NAIL CLIPPERS OR FILE
HAND LOTION
GOOD QUALITY SUNGLASSES (POLARIZED PREFERRED)
CHAPSTIK
NEOSPORIN (SURPRISINGLY USEFUL FOR THE MYRIAD GOUGES AND CUTS YOU'LL GET)

Ipad mini
phone
solar usb charger
3 battery usb chargers ONLY ONE. YOU CAN BUY REPLACEMENTS EN ROUTE IF NECESSARY
flashlights A CELL SIZE, NOT D CELL SIZE
headlamp NO
360 camera
go pro
canon rebel

Im sure that I've missed some things and I may remove some items as im packing it into the plane as I decide it's not that necessary. Im used to roughing it and could go for a month with just a lightly packed rucksack but since I have room... Im planning on kind of roughing it still. No tent, just a tarp over me and a cot under me. If the bugs are bad, I have a bug net that I can tie over my cot with a couple sticks or wear it like a blanket. Im hoping to spend the majority of the nights outside feeling the breeze and if it's nice, looking up at sky.
I think you're overpacking, by a big margin, unless you've hired a Caravan to follow you as a support plane :) . I've added my thoughts above (forgive the all caps - I did that only to make it easier to find my comments, not because I was trying to be overly emphatic). You really want to pare down the stuff to only the essentials, even if you can fit all the stuff listed above into the plane. Why? Because if the plane is crammed full of Shiite, inevitably the item you want is in the back, underneath the entire load. And it's a huge PITA to unload the whole plane just to get to that one item, so you'll just do without.

If you stop in Haines be prepared to be pressed into labor: George has hangars to move. If you stop in Sitka between the 1st and 15th I can give you a place to stay.

Last edited:
If you change nothing else on that list, take a tent! A GOOD tent, with plenty of room......I like a "four man" tent. If it rains (it will) you'll really appreciate that tent. Possibly the most important piece of this puzzle.

If you take a pistol (and I wouldn't) bear in mind you'll have to clear Canada Customs upon your return as well.

Id drop most of the stuff others have suggested dropping. You've got a lot of "stuff" on that list, and much of it will likely go unused. Good advice above.

MTV

Have a spare gas cap and a spare quick drain. Can be real handy if needed and small. I'd just have the axe. I'd mail the 44 to Northway if that is where you clear customs, post office right next to airstrip. Send it as parts in 2 parcels frame and cylinder seperate. I'd lose the long arm, I've carried them to AK and they're a pain unless you are in Polar Bear country and then the pain is worth it. Nalgene water bottle or 2. I'm a huge fan of Xtratuff boots, I probably wear then 30% of the time. I'd have them and some hiking boots and then some teva's. I don't own tennis shoes. I was in Manley Hot Springs in June once via airplane camping. I thought I might need my handgun to finish me off. The bugs were horrific. Take a very good tent.

Last edited:
Having not made that pilgrimage (YET!) all I have to add from experience is to be very careful with the Benedryl, it does not mix well with flying and the imparement lasts for days. I carry it only in topical form for bug bites and such but will never again take it orally.

Having not made that pilgrimage (YET!) all I have to add from experience is to be very careful with the Benedryl, it does not mix well with flying and the imparement lasts for days. I carry it only in topical form for bug bites and such but will never again take it orally.

The same can be said for Preparation H. Yucky

Which by the way, might be a good thing to take along....!

I'm going to go through my list and cut some of the things off. Some of the stuff, I'm taking anyway because it's light and doesn't take up room. For example, my vest, has a light rollup splint, I'll still keep it even though sticks work. I know I have a tendency to overpack so I appreciate all of the feedback. I need room for a couple souvineer glass balls and a moose shed. Is that legal? I'm still going to go through the hassle of the pistol. I have my ffl so I can legally mail my gun but I'm going to go through the proper channels of carrying it through just to experience the hassle. Pirep to follow since it seems there is some interest in that. I'll follow the advice of bringing a tent. When I camp moose season, I usually sleep only under a tarp and it rains every time. Rob said I can join him in his large tent if needed but I didn't think I'd need to. I'll bring my own now only to set up if needed. I might stubbornly not need it the whole trip. Haha. Speedo, I have a close friend who's a tourist fishing captain out of Sitka who I'll be going to meet up with. Is calling you the best way to get a hold of you?

Preparation H spread on a cotton ball makes a great fire starter...any vasoline based product works well for fuel added to your tinder....even your chap stick. Get handy with flint and steel. A plastic zip lock carrying your Flint, cotton, and chap stick is smaller and lighter than your matches and safe after falling off your floats into the water. A quality flint and steel is mastered by a real man in ten minutes. Impress your buds and Leave the matches at home. You can substitute twine for the cotton ball. Sniff the twine and you'll smell the karosene that is used as a preservative. Plus you can use it around camp for timing up your tarp.

I never take an ax or saw because I can scrounge sticks the size of my arm and find a couple trees to use as leverage to break them into small useable fire wood.

If I have under 140 pounds strapped in the back seat area, I'll still feel pretty light for what I plan on doing and I would still be a legal weight with full fuel. What do others aim for as a goal weight on their extended camping trips when flying solo? A bunch of my stuff that people are recommending I drop, I am still taking though I appreciate your input. My survival vest doesn't take up room and doesn't weigh much so I won't be removing any items from it. There's a flint and steel in it. I have a film container of cotton balls soaked in vaseline but as my normal fire starter, Ill use my gas stove to light wet wood. Ill drop some of the clothing items, my extra sleeping bag that I use as a mat, I wont take. Im still taking my cot to stay off the ground even though my air mat is way lighter. I could sleep on my cot in my goretex covered sleeping bag in the rain and stay dry without a shelter but I plan on having one. Im not planning on staying in houses or motels at all except maybe one or two nights out of 30. I want to set up my portable tarp sauna and swim in some glacial lakes, rivers, and the ocean. It weighs under 15 pounds for all of that so I'll still be taking it even if people tell me I shouldn't. Sauna on a glacier. Check. It might seem dumb to some but to me it's on my list of things I'm going to do. If I pick up any passengers I will drop all of my gear except survival and maintenance with the bare minimum during that flight time. Im taking my heavy cooler because i like meat, eggs, etc, and I love good food. I look forward to meals like an alcoholic would look forward to a beer, and mountain houses won't scratch my itch although I'll have some of them too. I'm planning on floating a couple rivers with my inflatable boat, I can fit it so why not? I needed my 4 pound inflatable kayak money for a new cylinder this past week and the heavy boat is free since I already have it. It packs up to small tent size. If I don't like the weight once Im up there, I'll give it away to one of my friends. I'll try to post some pics throughout the trip of everything including my odd camp setup.

I don't think I carried that much stuff in my 310 when I flew up to AK!

Take>
Adjustable wrench (Cresent), a couple screw drivers, safety wire pliers and leatherman, duct tape, small bag with screws, nuts, washers, cotter pins. I took a small mag timer and ended up using it, but I'm also a mech so anal that way.
A pair of binoculars, a real zip shut tent.
Instant coffee,(lightweight, easy, good)

Leave>
Choose axe or saw not both, (axe could double as hammer?)
The boat is heavy and taking up room so?
One firearm.
I can sleep without a cot, just a matt.
No avgas burner.
No Preheat.
Np French press
Less clothes.
Cans or bags for fuel not both.

You can always bury some stuff like we have done after packing into the back country and find we didn't need it, Ha Ha!

Sounds like a great trip!

Less is better. You might be within weight, but some of the places you might want to land may cause extra stress with the weight. Not everywhere is smooth up here.

I am working in Sitka again this summer, might be in Haines the first week of june moving hangars- Eric, I can get you a couple of days off to help maybe?;-) The dozer should be clearing the airstrip by then also! Like Eric, I can also offer assistance in Sitka, but we float guys work more than half time8)

If you come to Haines while I am there I should have a dry place for you to sleep. depending upon your ability I can show you the cabins and you can base out of there for a day or three if you want.

June up here is generally warm and dry, but so is May. If it is nice much of your gear will not be used. If it is not, you might find that your gear is totally wrong.

Things I do to lessen my loads:

Use polar fleece type lightweight coat, with a wind/water proof over layer. Between the two you will have all the warmth you need, and the polar fleece will be warm when wet- not so with any cotton hoodie; polar fleece also packs very small and is light. That will eliminate the need for coats/hoodie and such.

You will be going through towns. Most towns have stores with some clothing, essentials. Take a few less items, and just buy it if you need it. Oil filters, extra oil for oil change, extra back ups... if you end up using it, just replace on travels. I know our parts room at work has lots of things you list to carry. (and the one thing you don't carry is what you will need).

One word of caution: Not familiar with your experience level, but if your plan is to come on up and be landing in all the great places you see photos of, like on the glaciers, please get someone to take you there. Flying is flying, but learning to judge different types of texture and terrain, (read strange winds, rough and sloping landing areas), there is as much art as there is skill. There are thousands of places you can land that will be fantastic to camp, hike, and have fun- but there are also thousands of places with wheel tracks that can and have resulted in bad days for aircraft:oops: The Sauna on a glacier comment has me asking your true intension.

A good set of light shoes, a good set of boots for wandering. If it gets to raining every day, you will not get the Xtra tuffs dry again anyway.

Bill Rusk has made the pilgrimage for the second year. He has narrowed stuff down well. I still think he is heavy on gear, but it serves what he is doing!

There are cabins on wheel strips around that you can stay, just need some local help to find. Also, if two planes are traveling together, share gear. No need for both planes to carry 4 man tents to fit a cot, or a full parts bag.

I would take a 12 GA. shotgun long before the 444, or a pistol. I have had good interaction with Canada Customs, but there will be enough things to deal with to not want a pistol and the paperwork with that. It also might kill your chances of doing CanPass over the phone.

I have a 870 with short barrel if you want to borrow it, or the 454 C once you arrive up here.

It will be a fun trip, maybe you can bring the sunshine!:p

IMG_2299.JPG

Bear spray. I never owned a can of bear spray until this spring. I was a handgun guy but decided bear spray has its place - like when traveling through Canada. The commercial airlines won't allow bear spray at all. You want to take it in a sealed container of some sort in a private plane. I found this little dry box that is just the right size. I know of others that have made a PVC container with a screw cap. And I know of at least one Cub pilot that straps it to a gear leg. The guys with pods keep it in there.

At the Anchorage trade show earlier in the month I had a conversation with an FAA hazardous materials fellow who had some bear spray horror stories from flying with it in Alaska. A couple resulted in fatalities. The bottom line is if it gets discharged in the cabin bad things are going to happen.

I asked a Customs guy in Montana a couple of months ago about coming and going into Canada and into the states with it. He said it has to be declared but it is not regulated by either country. But he said to be sure to tell the Canadian Customs that it is bear spray. if it is a human deterrent, like Mace, then it treated like a firearm.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 232
Back