• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Seat Modifications

vj88

Anchorage, AK
Hello, I have a few questions about modifying my front and rear seat.

My front seat folds at a 45* angle and has the springs in the back of it. 2 issues.
1) the seat when extended all the way forward is still too far away from the controls for the wife to fly and even for myself could be slightly closer.
2) The springs in the back stretch too much and when applying brake I push/stretch away from the brakes.

I am looking to fix the flexing of the seat and at the same time gain some distance in the seat moving the back closer to the firewall. There is no additional room to move the seat frame forward without hitting the stick.

I have seen a handful of different rear seat options for cubs however don't seem to find much online. I do have the removable cross bar as well. What rear seats do people like (to actually sit in)? The seat is currently full airplane width with the metal spring.

Of course any mod we do we would like to save weight rather than add.

You both must have really short legs. Place a thicker cushion on the seat back and then put some blocks on the rudder pedals.

One thing that may help is lowering the cushion on the seat part, and adding padding to the seat back. I have always thought that if your head is within 4" of that crossbar, you are too high (without a helmet).

Take the cushion off the seat back. Pull those stupid springs out of there, or if you prefer, leave them there. Get some Poly Fiber fabric, and wrap it around the seat back, glued in place, then shrink it till taught. Put your cushion back on.

As Pete noted, if that still isn't enough, use a thicker cushion on the seat back.

But the fabric wrap on the seat back makes a huge difference, and it weighs practically nothing, and is easy to do.

MTV

You might want to check to see if you have a broken brake pedal reinforcement that is letting the pedals move... been there done that and got the merit badge with Band-Aid clusters.

As for getting yourself closer to the panel and up some. Go to a sporting goods/hunting store (even wally world) and get a couple of high density stadium or hunting seat pads and put them under the snap on upholstered cushions.

You may want to check the brake pedals for twisting. The pedal and the "crank arm" are supposed to be aligned with each other.

For a seat back cushion, I recommend one of these. Lightweight, dense foam and it also serves as a floatation device. About $10 each. Use them with short students often. I buy mine at K-Mart (while they're still in business).

8C839935-6943-4D8B-9A95-14EAF9ECDE4C-566-0000005E650EC087.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C839935-6943-4D8B-9A95-14EAF9ECDE4C-566-0000005E650EC087.jpeg
    8C839935-6943-4D8B-9A95-14EAF9ECDE4C-566-0000005E650EC087.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 758
Good way to kill two birds with one cushion...err, stone.
Having PFD's aboard is a good idea in the Puget Sound area.

appreciate the tips and info. I may do my first fabric work and stretch It around the seat and pull the springs out.

Back