• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Performance STOL Double Slotted Flap system now STC'd for the PA-18

Re: comparing flaps of the same length?

My impression of the much longer Husky flaps was that they were not nearly as good as a stock set of Super Cub flaps adjusted to the max allowable extension. My guess would be that the more effective Cub flaps would be even better if Husky length. I think my opinion is worthy.

Next question: has anyone installed these STC flaps on a Dakota slotted wing?

Yes, skip the slots and just do the Flaps

Yes, skip the slots and just do the Flaps
Bob,
Not sure where that theory that Cub flaps were superior to much larger Husky flaps originated ....... Might want to rethink that one.
In the original Piper test pilots report of the then new "125" Super Cub he commented Super Cub was a perfect balance of wing and power, but felt the new flaps were NOT as effective as he had expected.........
If you were to hook Husky flaps onto a Super Cub, they would be a VAST improvement over standard Cub flaps,
Possibly even more than the 90" Sullivan flaps...... If you dig cub flaps and feel they are great, that is fine.
But folks have been modifying now for 60 years to make them work ALOT better............. These new Performance flaps may turn out to be the best mod ever offered since Roger Borer offered us his prop.[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Bob,

No offense intended, but if that's your honest opinion, you need to get some instruction in a Husky.

MTV

Funny that this comes up. I shipped Doug Keller a set of Husky flaps and all the associated hardware from a wrecked border patrol Husky I had years ago. He built a Super Cub wing with Husky flaps. Must have seen an improvement with these slotted flaps since he took them all the way though certification.

Funny that this comes up. I shipped Doug Keller a set of Husky flaps and all the associated hardware from a wrecked border patrol Husky I had years ago. He built a Super Cub wing with Husky flaps. Must have seen an improvement with these slotted flaps since he took them all the way though certification.

That was one heck of a performing Super Cub with the big wing and Husky flaps as seen in Big Rocks & Long Props Vol. 2

Steve, It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to modify a -18 wing for the double slotted flaps than it would be with the long Husky flaps which would require aileron modifications as well. I like the long 110" flaps on my E-AB Cub.

Steve, It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to modify a -18 wing for the double slotted flaps than it would be with the long Husky flaps which would require aileron modifications as well. I like the long 110" flaps on my E-AB Cub.

I've converted a pa-12 s to long flaps on covered wings, little of a pain, but doable... he already had squared off wing....

I've converted a pa-12 s to long flaps on covered wings, little of a pain, but doable... he already had squared off wing....
That's my point, from the perspective of the person developing and earning the STC he wants the end result to be as easy as possible to accomplish so that he can maximize his potential customer base. Keeping the installation labor down is a big plus.

Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between the 2, 3 and 4 hanger setups? Only number I can find is that a 2 hanger certified setup is about 12lbs more than stock flaps, but nowhere have I seen a listed weight of each setup.

Cheers,
Jeff

I’m speaking out of turn but I’d assume you can get close enough by figuring the weight percentages on the 2 hangar flap then doing the math on the added length. Guessing it would be within one or two lbs unless there are significant reinforcements on the longer flaps?

I added a simple external retract spring which helped a lot.
I assume one end of the spring is attached to the attachment bolt in the flap, the other end appears to be attached to a fitting of some kind with a bolt holding it to the forward hanger. Did you drill a hole there to mount this. I have been trying to do the same thing, but hesitated to drill a hole in the flap hanger.
Thanks

Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between the 2, 3 and 4 hanger setups? Only number I can find is that a 2 hanger certified setup is about 12lbs more than stock flaps, but nowhere have I seen a listed weight of each setup.

Cheers,
Jeff

Probably not as much as we would think for the length. The experimental version has a different doubler for inside the flap hanger and does not use the thick doublers on the false spar at the hangers. I will have to look in my notes at those weights.

Cathy has been flying my Super Cub getting ready to take it to the Ladies Love Taildraggers Fly-In next weekend with two other local women in their Super Cub and PA12. She can not pul the 4th notch but slows her down fine to make some nice landing. I never noticed a difference in the amount of force taken to pull the flaps full on with my alreadty shortened flap handle with a 4 notch pawl.

I assume one end of the spring is attached to the attachment bolt in the flap, the other end appears to be attached to a fitting of some kind with a bolt holding it to the forward hanger. Did you drill a hole there to mount this. I have been trying to do the same thing, but hesitated to drill a hole in the flap hanger.
Thanks
I answered my own question, the picture of the external spring is going from the hole in the front hanger to the lower part of the split flap, not the first section.
Thanks

Cheers,
Jeff

Totaled installed weight of a set of certified Performance STOL Flaps is 25.0 lbs.
Total weight removed, old flaps and associated parts is 13.2 lbs.
Inboard false spar doublers used on certified flaps but not experimentals are 9.8 oz per pair
Outboard false spar doublers used on certified flaps but not experimentals are 15.4 oz per pair
Cherry rivets used on all four false spar doublers weigh 4.5 oz.
Total weight of 3 hanger 90" flaps for a Dakota Cub slotted wing is 27 lbs for both flaps and hardware.

One side flap and hardware.
32743.jpeg

Certified flaps have a straight flap hanger doubler where this one has a relief cut out of the forward end.
32741.jpeg

Attachments

• 32743.jpeg
    32743.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 32741.jpeg
    32741.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 1,249
These are what the certified flap hanger stiffeners look like. I keep them in the freezer until I install them. It is a real tight fit and have had no issues installing them after I started sticking them in the freezer to shrink them a bit.
IMG_20190704_070501.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_070501.jpg
    IMG_20190704_070501.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,104
Steve,

Thanks for the 2 great posts above. REAL DATA !!! and sound installation tips.

I use liquid nitrogen ( -320 ) to install bearings, plugs and etc. without having to pound or press them. It was only a couple hundred bucks to get a special 3 liter thermos that the local compressed gas company would fill for me. Like so many tools, that might initially seem over the top; once you have them, you can't imagine doing the job without it.

I weighed every part going on and coming off on the certified version. They were dead on when the said the the certified version adds 12 lbs. I even weighed the Cherry Max stems and washers after I pulled all the rivets. Silly I know but some people like to drink, I like to weigh Super Cub parts. ;)

Back